Conditions (McBride)

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-12 in town and snowing. Can't see the mountains, that could be a good thing as I have work to do around house today.

Let's hope for a little sun by Saturday, thanks for the update. Do you know the current avalanche condition, i checked on avalanche .ca and there's nothing updated for McBride but Valemount conditions are supposed to be in the green or good.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rating as of 10:00 am was considerable above treeline

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well -8 and still snowing, will have to shovel again.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Well -8 and still snowing, will have to shovel again.

Hey Barry..... Just keep driving that nail deeper !!! :) Thks for all the updates, Great for everyone!
Finally got under -20 this day.... :)

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to start new thread tomorrow, February Conditions. Will put down my hammer so as not to hurt you.

Flygirl21

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mcbridebc.org
Hello again all, Well Rod Groomed Lucille today (saturday) in the afternoon, Sunday is the big family barbeque at the cabin, only a buck for a hotdog and drink! Also there will be tobbogan rides and family activities which should be fun for all. Renshaw is getting groomed this evening and should be nice and clean and ready for the boys Sunday AM. There is still lots of nice snow to be found on Renshaw and Bell from what I have heard from some of the guys that have been up there, plus we seem to keep getting more which is always good. We even had sun today! Well for like 10 minutes but I am still counting it! I hope to see you all on the Hills... HAPPY RIDING TO ALL!!

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were on the back side of Renshaw today and there is great snow. If you stayed up high on the hills it was somewhat wind blow. There may have been about 6-10" of loose powder on it. But if you went down into valleys there had to be three feet of powder to ride on. For people who like to boondock it was paridise. We put on 80+ miles today. We went back to the waterfall via the meadows. Lots of others drop over the middle saddle. When the sun came out you could see tracks on every hill as far as the sleds could get to.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Conditions for our family day ride and toboggan day were picture perfect. Sunny and warm and a ton of kids. So many that I ran out of food and drinks by 3:00 pm. Had to ride the 600 today because on Sat afternoon my 800r decided it had enough and layed down and died. At km 21 on the Renshaw on the way home, lucky me, it was done. Well over 4000 km on the engine and with a 2 year warranty it will be repaired or replaced depending on the damage. This will slow me down a lot as the 600 doesn't go where the 800 did. Thanks to Bigdog and his crew for getting me down to the bottom and I will post some pics tomorrow. Will let him tell his story that goes along with mine, VERY FUNNY TO ALL BUT HIM.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Allan Creek Saturday, Went all the way to the end where there was maybe a dozen sleds, snow was deep but very heavy, made climbing difficult. Hit Renshaw Sunday, Cabin area totally tracked but much to my surprise just East of cabin in the bowl was barely tracked at all, deep snow (1.5-2 feet) but was settling quickly, turned pretty heavy by days end. Over the saddle wasn't tracked all that much either but everyone in our group couldn't get there so we turned around ( pretty tough for a womans first time in the mountains) she did good elsewhere though. Met two guys with M1000 turbos and Two apex turbos, the M1000s went anywhere the Apexs did, Thats got my gears turning now about turboing my M8 and being atleast 100lbs less in weight, the power to weight ratio would be awesome. In the end, it all comes down to the power to weight ratio I guess, not just POWER. My new set up in my sled ran great, was very impressed, climbed 3/4s of a hill that a turbo did (not on his track either) he was impressed and so was I. What a great weekend!!

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Condition of my engine is terminal. Top and bottom has caved. New all around, but will not get it back untill Wed. of next week. Have to take the week off.
Big thanks to Gibbons Motor Toys for picking up my sled and the quick break down. Thanks again Tim.

Rocky Mountain Kamakazi

Reaction score
Rode Renshaw on Saturday...little socked in but lots of snow, had to get away from the cabin. Went to Clemina in Sunday less snow and alot more tracked up, not as good. Headed up to Belle in the morning of Monday, snow was better then Clemina but not as good as Renshaw. It was not a good weekend, on the way up we blew the water pump just out of Hinton adding six hours onto our trip. On Saturday on the way to Renshaw the c-clip on the needle of the carb broke so i was only running on one lung, so we drove into town to Ride and Hide picked one up and fixed. On Sunday on the way to Clemina 3 miles up the trail I broke a trailing arm bolt so we left it on the trail and a friend had a Phazer as a spare sled so drove that and picked up my sled on the way home.

cheebbacheebba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to Ride Renshaw on Saturday. Is there any untouched snow remaining after the busy Family Day long weekend? It doesn't look like any new snow fell since then. I assume I have to go way past the saddle to find any???

Thanks

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there were 5 of us from here that rode Renshaw on monday, we went in via the shortcut to the back just at the end of the cutblock before the groomed trail heads uphill to the cabin. there was a lot of untouched snow back there, well worth the rough ride on the shortcut. it was pretty tracked up in the first open area, but once you got out of there into the next bowl there was lots of room to play in fresh snow. it was starting to set up pretty good, made for some great climbs. there was one nice bowl we rode into but were low on fuel so we didn't track it up, could've spent a couple hours in there easily.

cheebbacheebba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks teeroy. I assume you are talking about the turnoff at km 23? How far do you have to go down the "shortcut"? I've never been that way. Is the terrain difficult? I am bringing some rookies.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
It's a beautiful Thursday morning here in McBride. About -3 and clear skies. The sun is shining and the mountains look awesome.

Barry has gone up Renshaw with Flatlandguy and is meeting up with Gro4u and his group at the parking lot. As most of you know his engine caved on Saturday so he has to ride the "Grampa sled" (two-up Skidoo). He's a little depressed about it, but that's sledding. Tim from Gibbons MotorSports was kind enough to pick it up from our house on Monday and already has it torn apart and parts ordered.

The boys will be going over the small saddle this morning. Should be lots of powder there. Barry will be posting a snow update later today.

Anyone coming to McBride this weekend should have their avalanche antennas on and batteries in their beepers. We have heard that a couple have come down way back. Nothing in the riding areas yet, but be aware.

Should be a nice weekend of riding.

Judy
Mountain Haven B & B
McBride, B.C.
(250) 569-0226

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks teeroy. I assume you are talking about the turnoff at km 23? How far do you have to go down the "shortcut"? I've never been that way. Is the terrain difficult? I am bringing some rookies.
it is past the turnoff at 23 I think, just before you head into the trees and the groomed trail gets twisty, there is a big cutblock on your right on a sidehill right next to the trail where guys have been climbing. the turnoff at 23 is kind of on the flats, just keep going and take the next turnoff to the left, you kind of start off by going down as the groomed trail starts uphill. I'm guessing it is about 2 or 3 km before the cabin where we went in. the turnoff at 23 will take you to the same place, but it will be a lot more bumpy trail to ride going in that way. no problem for the noobs, we had one inexperienced guy with us on an '02 800 Summit and he made it in with no trouble. I have some gps tracks from my Garmin if they will help, I could download it and email to you. the shortcut was about 3 km or so to the first open area.

cheebbacheebba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the info teeroy. I think we may head that way then. I'll wait to hear Barry's report when he gets back tonight and then discuss with the boys. There will likely be 4 of us on Sat.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no problem Clint, happy to share any info that might make a good weekend into a great one. have fun and ride safe.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back from Renshaw. +8 now and the snow is set up everywhere I went. There is still untracked snow in many of the areas, but you will have to venture a long ways back to find alot of good, really good snow. Still there is alot of area to play in just over the saddle. The back way at km 27 was the way I came out and no problem for rookies but badly hooped out. Riding on Sat. with the Whitecourt boys if you want to join us.

Top Bottom