Conditions (McBride)

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Conditions

hey bbtoys....Terracanna... is tell everyone there is now snow left in renshaw do to the warm weather.... rocks showing hard packed everywhere,,, what's the deal???

Is the truth or crap???

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Was back behind the saddle and there is lots of fresh back there. There is no soft stuff at the cabin or within 2 km of the cabin and the people at the cabin are the ones telling everone else that there is no snow, but even in the back if you like to do some hill climbing there are rocks on some faces. Up high it is wind blown but the valleys still have alot to explore. Going out Sat. so will post then, have a cariboo closure meeting today. They are just here to remind me of what areas are closed as it appears that some sledders have forgotten or where never informed of these closures. I'm not sure I even know where they are.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hey bbtoys....Terracanna... is tell everyone there is now snow left in renshaw do to the warm weather.... rocks showing hard packed everywhere,,, what's the deal???

Is the truth or crap???

This is what Terracana sent out:

RENSHAW: Groomed Jan 8, 2008 Completely pounded out, nothing for fresh and the 8 - 10 foot base that had built up this season was down at least three feet if not more with warm temps and melting, impossible to make it anywhere, gullies no longer filled in rocks everywhere . . . TERRIBLE DON'T GO TILL THEY GET MORE SNOW!!! Jan 6 snowed quite a bit last night conditions very good with not a lot of sled traffic Jan 3 Pounded in main areas with less than a foot of powder today Jan 2 Snowing with 1' of fresh today, skies cleared by evening with more snow in the forecast Dec 29 Front areas tracked up between last weekend and this and not a lot of fresh, can still find powder in the trees Renshaw has had the most snow this season 6-8' base in most areas CAUTION CHECK AVALANCHE REPORTS CONDITIONS COULD LEAD TO HIGHER AVALANCHE RISKS! Watch for signs of unstable snow like whumpfing, cracking or recent avalanches.

And you'd think they would want to attract business?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Was back behind the saddle and there is lots of fresh back there. There is no soft stuff at the cabin or within 2 km of the cabin and the people at the cabin are the ones telling everone else that there is no snow, but even in the back if you like to do some hill climbing there are rocks on some faces. Up high it is wind blown but the valleys still have alot to explore. Going out Sat. so will post then, have a cariboo closure meeting today. They are just here to remind me of what areas are closed as it appears that some sledders have forgotten or where never informed of these closures. I'm not sure I even know where they are.
Post what's closed so I don't cause no chit when I'm there!!!

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good day today except for the avy that caught Darrell and buryed him to his neck and partially under his sled. He is a bit beat-up but ok. Good snow in the back of Blackwater. Still pounded around the cabin but even in the back over the saddle you can still find good play. For those of you who will not venture 2 km away from the cabin it will be no fun. The rest of us will keep going to the pow.:):)

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Their website as of tonite does not say anything about that, so I don't know where you got that but if you would like to forward to me I will deal with it at that time.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well the boys left this afternoon and reported better snow today than yesterday. They have some good pictures of untracked snow, hope they get it on the site Monday. I hate to report this but it is raining hard here in town and +6. Looks like it is snowing heavy up top but will not know untill Wed. when I get back from Edmonton.:(:mad:

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is what Terracana sent out:

RENSHAW: Groomed Jan 8, 2008 Completely pounded out, nothing for fresh and the 8 - 10 foot base that had built up this season was down at least three feet if not more with warm temps and melting, impossible to make it anywhere, gullies no longer filled in rocks everywhere . . . TERRIBLE DON'T GO TILL THEY GET MORE SNOW!!! Jan 6 snowed quite a bit last night conditions very good with not a lot of sled traffic Jan 3 Pounded in main areas with less than a foot of powder today Jan 2 Snowing with 1' of fresh today, skies cleared by evening with more snow in the forecast Dec 29 Front areas tracked up between last weekend and this and not a lot of fresh, can still find powder in the trees Renshaw has had the most snow this season 6-8' base in most areas CAUTION CHECK AVALANCHE REPORTS CONDITIONS COULD LEAD TO HIGHER AVALANCHE RISKS! Watch for signs of unstable snow like whumpfing, cracking or recent avalanches.

And you'd think they would want to attract business?

Gauranteed there's no 8-10 foot base, when we were out there at new years we dug down to ground in several different riding places and snow depths ranged from 3-4 feet where it was packed by sleds to maybe 4-5 feet in unpacked spots. Anywhere deeper is either a drifted in spot or lots of undergrowth holding the snow up. And from what I understand from the folks, there hasn't been any significant snowfall since then.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, snow conditions aren't even half of what we had at this time last year, that is a fact, we have the broken parts to prove it this season so far.
I wouldn't say it's terrible, don't go, we always have untracked snow to play in and never see a soul, but you really gotta be careful this year lotsa landmines and avys waiting for you.
Headed back out there in 2 weeks, and I'm praying to the snow gods for some help before then, hopefully they come thru for us!!

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Talked to Rod of EL-JAY grooming this morning and he reports a nice BIG drop of snow went thru McBride the past couple of days!! Which is good to hear since we are going up Thursday night. Said he ran into a couple of guys coming down Bell and they told him they were playing in 2-2 1/2ft of fresh. Keith.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Bell and Lucille both got new snow all Sun. nite and all day Monday. The boys just got down from both hills today and had handlebar high snow today. No report from the Renshaw but will let you know tomorrow.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Woke-up to a snow storm here in town and I can't even see the mountains, so will not be going up today. Looks like another 2-4" overnite in town and still snowing heavy. Back to the shovel again, just got done last nite what came down while in Edmonton, now I get to do it all again. As soon as I can see i will go up Renshaw and report back. Yepeeeeee snow and lots of it.

Last edited:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

13:30 and still snowing. At this rate I will have to fire up the snowblower. Sucks to be me.:rant::rant:

Flygirl21

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mcbridebc.org
The conditions should be good now, we got over 2 feet of fresh snow on all three hills in McBride and they have all been groomed, Lucille yesterday, Renshaw today and Bell Tommorow.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, it is 12 hours later and still snowing. Can't see the mountains so will not be riding this AM and the heli just cancelled as well. Can't see so will not fly.

Last edited:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friday morning and it is snowing again so will pospone my trip up Renshaw till this afternoon as the visibility is not good at all. No heli today by the look of it.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good morning Barry,When it lets up your going to have some sweet riding conditions.
catmando!

GRD

Reaction score
Friday morning and it is snowing again so will pospone my trip up Renshaw till this afternoon as the visibility is not good at all. No heli today by the look of it.

Barry,

Is there some sort of jambree ride or something this weekend in McBride?

Thanks

Top Bottom