Jasper is on fire!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that the heat would take all the moisture out of the cement making it brittle. Its called spalding I think…

That is correct

Crazy part is a few houses in Leduc that have burnt. Insurance figures foundations are still good and don’t want to replace them.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say a structural engineer would be needed for every foundation to assess its viability . Insurance may try to pass it off but that’s what insurance companies do.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess if insurance is paying. I would want a new foundation made out of gold bricks. But If I was paying outta pocket I might try and reuse the foundation.

Should be rebuilding by now and they are still inspecting lmao Will take 10 years before any things done.

Insurance is a scam. Great, get rid of it. Then I don't have to be part of this on any level.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
It will take a while, we are testing the sites like these for Asbestos, Lead, and we are collecting soil samples all around and looking for hydrocarbons, Btex then F1 to F4's, with this being a federal park the demolition and cleanup will take several months. OHS is also as bad as the wasps here.

Was up in the attic today of JPL that is an interesting building, going to months worth of work there. Tomorrow and the next day, I'm at JPL sampling all the burnt buildings. Strange it wiped out 1 large multi level chalets with one on each side not touched.

Thursday were heading to Marmot Basin, that could be interesting.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
That is correct

Crazy part is a few houses in Leduc that have burnt. Insurance figures foundations are still good and don’t want to replace them.
Foundations typically are damaged during the mechanical demolition and are too expensive to fix after and no engineer is going to stamp anything.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rebuilt a hog barn that burnt down. Built on the old foundation. Just had to replace a few concrete slats but all the other concrete was good.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like anything from our moron politicians/government, The rebuild will take 3x as long, cost 10x more, and be terrible workmanship. To be honest, unless I'd be making some serious coin, I'd have no interest in doing anything out there. And I'm sure there's gonna be lots of wood floors to do there eventually...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep and guys are saying insurance is a scam. Would you want to pay for this bullchit ? 🤪

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep and guys are insurance is a scam. Would you want to pay for this bullchit ? 🤪
Absolutely not.... and these old foundations won't hold the multifamily billionaire owned complex they burnt people's houses down for

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently did a wedding venue/conference area for a hotel in banff. And I was actually pleasantly surprised talking with the owners how much of the townsite is still privately owned. The owners were very down to earth and from calgary. Probably why they wanted to burn down jasper, get rid of the privately owned stuff so big investors come in and buy everything up. Gets rid of the competition and probably drives prices down.... when is it banffs turn I wonder?

Ahh but that's just conspiracy talk....

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could easliy be. Maybe if it wasnt insured people would have done something about the over growth. everbody hates insurance.

Maybe insurance hates paying for gross negligence?

No one did much to stop it from burning down

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will take a while, we are testing the sites like these for Asbestos, Lead, and we are collecting soil samples all around and looking for hydrocarbons, Btex then F1 to F4's, with this being a federal park the demolition and cleanup will take several months. OHS is also as bad as the wasps here.

Was up in the attic today of JPL that is an interesting building, going to months worth of work there. Tomorrow and the next day, I'm at JPL sampling all the burnt buildings. Strange it wiped out 1 large multi level chalets with one on each side not touched.

Thursday were heading to Marmot Basin, that could be interesting.
Marmot says they are fine and planning on opening in November. Will be interesting to her what youhave to say about that. Not sure where skiers will be stayinhg though...lol

I'm really curious if any of the private cabins were hit by the fires, and how badly?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Marmot says they are fine and planning on opening in November. Will be interesting to her what youhave to say about that. Not sure where skiers will be stayinhg though...lol

I'm really curious if any of the private cabins were hit by the fires, and how badly?
The operations manager at Marmot is saying accommodations will be tight on weekends but plenty enough hotel
space for during the week. And hey will suffer some though I’m betting

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, but structurally I don’t think they would stand the test.
I was chatting with an engineer who had done some foundation testing after the North Shuswap fire. He said he basically takes a ball peen hammer and works around the foundation hitting it. You can hear if it is still sound or spalded.

Top Bottom