Jasper is on fire!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was listening the radio a few days ago and a guy was saying that there has always been a shortage of home in Jasper. He said because of the land situtation, not enough room to build more houses on. Who wants to bet that the 'lots' get repo'd and condos pop up everywhere in the new jasper town
Bingo, I read somewhere the mayor was bragging about the "new" building requirements for Jasper not long before the fire.
The Beauty of Jasper was the small mountain town feel, not commercialized like Banff and Canmore.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I read correctly, there is strict building requirements of what a house can look like and what materials it can be built with. Thats a real estate lawyer’s nightmare if its not followed.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo, I read somewhere the mayor was bragging about the "new" building requirements for Jasper not long before the fire.
The Beauty of Jasper was the small mountain town feel, not commercialized like Banff and Canmore.

the mayor is such a tool. Seeing him on the news smiling about how they will re build rubbed me the wrong way. Shouldnt he be a little more pissed/sad the town burnt ?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The highway is still shutting down at night from 9pm to 7am. WTH is the issue now? Besides the obvious answer.

The only legit reason I could come up with is they don’t want to pay RCMP and traffic control night shift premiums. There is no fire there is no threat only a cost to have security alll night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
the folks that own Grove RV own a pile of hotels and staff accomodations in Jasper, I haven't heard how much of their stuff was affected. My sister works @ Grove.....
I was with Lisa from Sunrise Int. All day yesterday inspecting all there staff units.
Came home for a few days to do paperwork and get laundry done. Trailer is still at Jasper Gates, will head back tuesday.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Been home doing paperwork, cutting my grass, banking, and many reports. Need a 4 day break before I burn myself out. Climbing around on a total loss fire site with limited balance has its challenges but I did it. I still have 30 + properties to attend and approximately 15 cleaning re-inspections. Hotels are gearing up to bring there staff in to clean areas and less smoke damaged areas. Restaurants in hotels are being professionally cleaned including removal of soiled food, Just nasty I tell you.
Kitchens are being cleaned to spotless as we have to inspect them including ATP and bacteria sampling. Think ill be there solid for another month then inspections probably till March or April.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just drove through for the first time. Having a hard time understanding how they couldn’t hold that 100 meter line where it jumped the road

Heard from a good source not a single bomber and no retardant was used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fires can jump a long way with the right wind and fuel type. One jumped across Okanagan lake just last year and I know multiple people who witnessed the sparks/embers in the air so I don't think lasers were involved lol

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fires can jump a long way with the right wind and fuel type. One jumped across Okanagan lake just last year and I know multiple people who witnessed the sparks/embers in the air so I don't think lasers were involved lol
Exactly it's not just a big flame front moving through. It's large embers being blown ahead several km and starting spot fires.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Sorry guys for not posting a lot lately. We leave at 6:15 am and are getting back at 8 pm then have at least 2 hours of paperwork. Eat, sleep and do it all over again. JPL alone has 500 plus workers cleaning up I have to be there every second day for inspections. With that many workers things are getting cleaned up fast. We are even trying to open a kitchen so the 500 + workers can have prepared meals by JPL staff. They had to remove all the walk in coolers, they are the worst smelling things ive been involved with, even worse that fort Mc. I feel for some workers that are removing the rancid food/meat. Im putting 16-18K steps a day, and going down on my knees conducting kitchen inspections, swab sampling for ATP and bacteria. Ive tested approximately 20 large structures that burnt to the ground, all asbestos and Lead. Parks Can wants additional metals sampling, im getting more frustrated now. Lots of re-inspections for cleaning effectiveness. Now was asked to go to JPL and test all buildings that burnt to ground so thats my task for next week.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
A few pics Including JPL main only char there. I can’t post the other pics of buildings and accommodations that have burnt to the ground but a little more than a dozen did. Some pics of electrical poles burnt.

Attachments

• IMG_7509.jpeg
    IMG_7509.jpeg
    567.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7502.jpeg
    IMG_7502.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7420.jpeg
    IMG_7420.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7510.jpeg
    IMG_7510.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 123

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Was at JPL for quite a while today and will be there most of the week. The maintenance shop and about 17 other structures including the garage where they had all there tractors/lawn maintenance equipment, many new skid steers 1/2 melted. That end of the course is damaged bad, all out buildings, trees burnt. Many elks standing there saying WTF. Many structures are over 100 years old, while I have my job cut out for the rest of the week. Had to buy bear spray, so many close encounters. Those stinky fridges are attracting the bears.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they are selling any of the damaged equipment I wonder. Must be some insurance auctions

Top Bottom