Farmer talk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two nights ago got another storm, inch of rain in 30 minutes, and blew over one bin, into two other bins. It's still leaning there but too muddy to want to make a mess with my excavator to bring it back down. Guess i'll have to jump in the bins when they full enough and try pound out the dents somehow. Today was nice, but Wednesday another 15mm of rain forecasted
No insurance?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
No insurance?
Not my bins, so not sure if my old man has insurance or not on them, but from what i see it doesn't look like its worth a claim, doesn't look like theres a hole or anything just dents. Roof even seems intact on the on tipped over. As long as they're water tight i'll just pound them out.

Side note, Deere 9600 combines aren't worth crap anymore. We just sold our two 9600's for $23,000 a piece. Ritchie Bros said they'd expect to get $9,000 at auction. Hopefully our 9870's we upgraded to treat us well.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not my bins, so not sure if my old man has insurance or not on them, but from what i see it doesn't look like its worth a claim, doesn't look like theres a hole or anything just dents. Roof even seems intact on the on tipped over. As long as they're water tight i'll just pound them out.

Side note, Deere 9600 combines aren't worth crap anymore. We just sold our two 9600's for $23,000 a piece. Ritchie Bros said they'd expect to get $9,000 at auction. Hopefully our 9870's we upgraded to treat us well.
If they are insured I’m sure they would replace the dented panels or replace the cost of the bins. Had a neighbour lose 8 bins in a storm this summer. They are replacing them all. Insurance on bins is cheap. I think I pay between $3-5 per bin/year. They have to be anchored though.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’ll never forget when the farm upgraded to a used 9600. Big upgrade from the old 8820! I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. I remember thinking there’s no way in hell they can improve on this machine. Or make them any bigger. Impossible!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240827_120501_Instagram.jpg

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Last fall they drove the prototype machine down the road infront of our farm when we were heading out, i was in the grain cart and that combine was wrapped in that funky black white and grey design to try and hide what it was. Was rather large, even compared to our 9870's. Plastic everywhere on them though.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all say they are setting the bar but in reality they aren’t alot bigger than the ones they replace. Salesman told my buddy the 1 Deere X9 would replace his 2 S680’s. He said after harvest that was bull. 2 X9’s would replace maybe 3 S680’s at best he told me.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
They all say they are setting the bar but in reality they aren’t alot bigger than the ones they replace. Salesman told my buddy the 1 Deere X9 would replace his 2 S680’s. He said after harvest that was bull. 2 X9’s would replace maybe 3 S680’s at best he told me.
I've found our 9870's are 175% of a 9600, in the heat of the day they're probably 2 times the combine, but in the evening when it gets tough thats where the 9600's caught up only about 50% faster then. But the one 9870 we have has a cary big top on it and holds 400 bushels. vs the 9600 240 bushels. And the unload rate is amazing, if you're not paying attention you can get yourself into trouble for sure.

I think operator comfort in the combines has reached its peak. The S series really seemed to open up the cab with better visibility and the seat is a bit better then the 70 series. Fridge is always nice. I do hear the Case combines are quieter in the cab though.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've found our 9870's are 175% of a 9600, in the heat of the day they're probably 2 times the combine, but in the evening when it gets tough thats where the 9600's caught up only about 50% faster then. But the one 9870 we have has a cary big top on it and holds 400 bushels. vs the 9600 240 bushels. And the unload rate is amazing, if you're not paying attention you can get yourself into trouble for sure.

I think operator comfort in the combines has reached its peak. The S series really seemed to open up the cab with better visibility and the seat is a bit better then the 70 series. Fridge is always nice. I do hear the Case combines are quieter in the cab though.
Haven’t rode in a red one to tell the difference. I looked in the cab of my nephews 8250 and it’s definitely not air tight. Lots of dust covering everything. Most of the newer Deeres stay pretty clean

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Fill em first, you'd be surprised how much the weight of the grain by itself will push dents out, unless it's on the top ring, then a dead blow hammer and a 2×4 are your friend.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Should anchor those down somehow
just got those two bins put on the end there the one on the left is anchored with grain in it lol the one on the right not so much anchoring, the rest of the bins have anchor bolts drilled into the pad and pieces of steel welded to the skids so it can be bolted down, or screw in anchors, you can see the two on the pad right beside the skid on the left bin, that were SUPPOSE to be used lol. But right now i can barely put on socks let alone screw one of those things in the ground. hashtag back problems lol

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 286820
The two dented bins are both on the top ring.
That sucks. That widecor bin that's leaning, those sheets will likely pop right out, hopefully the roof is okay as you can't get get that style of roof sheet new anymore... only used parts, but they are not common.

The standard core (yellow top) wall sheets you can still get, although they are damn pricey if brand new. Make sure to double check the stiffeners on the inside of the yellow top, if they got damaged or kinked you could definitely have some structural troubles on that side.

And be careful getting it back to the ground, I've seen guys do more damage to a bin getting it back on the skid as it can come quick when the weight comes back over center.

Top Bottom