Farmer talk

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Currently pouring just west of Brooks. Not a lick of wind either. Made it home just in time to get in the house without getting soaked.
8A026E5D-9750-47BB-BCD2-A3EE870B14A2.jpeg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any hail? They said that storm could produce nickel size hail and very heavy rain

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know to do it commercially right now is probably a giant pain in the ass. Farmers can do it on their own land with little grief. For me to have a ground rig come and spray is about 10-11 dollars per acre. Haven’t had the airplane out in a long time but I’m sure it’s at least $15/ac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$12 in crop/dessication. $9 fungicide in our area for airplane

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$12 in crop/dessication. $9 fungicide in our area for airplane

Not bad. I got $12-14 for desiccation and $10.50 for fungicide. A bit cheaper than I thought. The cheapest guy said he’s fully booked and isn’t taking on any more acres though.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The yields might be pretty low but at least the grain prices are bad too.

I dont no who is doing the averages they expect but we are no where near what they say the bushel ave will be wnd we have had a decent spring to mid summer of rain

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question on what to seed.

I am getting about 3 or 4 acres tilled up this week. Its a meadow in the bush and very rough cant drive sxs or walk across it.

Once I harrow it smooth any suggestions what to plant as a grass or something. We dont want it for hay or anything, Maybe mow it 8 inchs high once or twice a year with the rough cut mower.

Honestly getting it tilled because its too rough to drive across, no other reason

Thanks

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just by there last weekend and figured you would be going soon Brett. Sucks that July heat was relentless. Last significant rain we had was June 29th and 1/10” on July 2.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was lining up to be a possibility of better than average year, but the July heatwave killed us….
This is going to be half of normal…

Drought year 3
Year 5 for us and I think this is worst year yet. Expecting most of the yields to be in the 5-10 range other than the chickpeas and durum might be in the 20's. Sure glad I upped my crop insurance to 80% this year.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like our hay is almost ready for its second cut. Hopefully cut 2 goes as well as cut 1 did

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Threshed some dry land canola in my hands yesterday. Probably the ugliest looking canola I've seen in my entire life. Seeds were yellow and green fly ch!t with about 5 percent black or brown and normal sized. Pods were brittle.

Started on some dry land durum yesterday but it’s not ready yet.

315821de0cfd9229cc311ff29acfbab6.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom