Starlink Mobile Questions

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy it from starlink, when you get it, set it up and make sure it's all working, run it for a couple weeks then switch it to roam, then pause it.

That's what I did with my second one, the roam plan is 188.70/month when it's activated, the residential plan is 155.50/month.

As far as streaming goes I can't see it being a problem at all, when I had it set up for my worl crew this summer at the campground they had 10 devices running on it. 2 were streaming Netflix or the Oilers game at the same time 2 others were gaming on thier PS and Xbox.
Okay thanks, 190 a month is steep definitely would need make sure it can replace our existing telus internet at that rate.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks, 190 a month is steep definitely would need make sure it can replace our existing telus internet at that rate.
Yes, but you can pause it for the months you are not using it and you can also bring it with you and setup and have high-speed internet in 15 minutes.

Other option is to up the GB on your mobility plan and Hotspot from the phone if you have good cell service.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry should have mentioned this would be for the roam service once activated.

Wife works from home and requires 8 hours a day of reliable service, including a decent amount of video calling. Do you guys find the roam service reliable enough for this?

I'm looking into the Costco option, but they dont provide the Starlink Hardware in my area:unsure:

No issue with video calling, we often have multiple people in teams meetings at the same time on the same Starlink V2 on a roam subscription.

If you have an unobstructed view of the sky the Starlink will in many cases have less latency than a normal internet connection.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No issue with video calling, we often have multiple people in teams meetings at the same time on the same Starlink V2 on a roam subscription.

If you have an unobstructed view of the sky the Starlink will in many cases have less latency than a normal internet connection.
I had a horrible time with telus Fibre Op in Calgary in a relatively new subdivision, always would drop the connection. Not an issue with Starlink. It's been near perfect for 2 years now

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Received today:

Thank you for being a Starlink customer. We are making changes to your service plan to deliver an improved Starlink experience.

Effective immediately, you will have access to the following features with Starlink Roam:
  • In-Motion Use
  • International Travel
  • Coastal Coverage
An updated Terms of Service will go into effect starting 2024-10-10.

Thank you for being a Starlink Roam customer and supporting our efforts to deliver high-speed, low-latency internet across the globe!

The Starlink Team

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Received today:

Thank you for being a Starlink customer. We are making changes to your service plan to deliver an improved Starlink experience.

Effective immediately, you will have access to the following features with Starlink Roam:
  • In-Motion Use
  • International Travel
  • Coastal Coverage
An updated Terms of Service will go into effect starting 2024-10-10.

Thank you for being a Starlink Roam customer and supporting our efforts to deliver high-speed, low-latency internet across the globe!

The Starlink Team
Got this email as well this morning

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll find out soon enough but with taxes and other random fees I'm thinking $220ish a month for BC folks?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll find out soon enough but with taxes and other random fees I'm thinking $220ish a month for BC folks?

Is it a residential plan or a roam plan?

Residential is still $140/month plus taxes. The Roam plan went up to $189/month plus taxes.

There's a trick with the roam plans, set your "service address" to somewhere in Alberta, as you only pay GST. The unit will still work across Canada.

Residential plans have to be set at your actual address/location for the service to work however.

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it a residential plan or a roam plan?

Residential is still $140/month plus taxes. The Roam plan went up to $189/month plus taxes.

There's a trick with the roam plans, set your "service address" to somewhere in Alberta, as you only pay GST. The unit will still work across Canada.

Residential plans have to be set at your actual address/location for the service to work however.
Ah, I was wondering about doing that, thanks.

It will be roaming plan eventually, maybe residential for the first month.

Top Bottom