Starlink Mobile Questions

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will Starlink upgrade you from Gen 2 to Gen 3 for existing customers? That soft travel case they advertise for the Gen 3 look appealing instead of the original box it comes in and is only $59.95 US funds

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the gen 2 die out or have issues, yes i believe they will.

I still have a gen 1.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the gen 2 die out or have issues, yes i believe they will.

I still have a gen 1.

My gen 1 was awesome. Only had it replaced because of cable degradation .The gen 2 cable has given me problems but is very easy to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the old kits used to be actuated. they no longer are... is that just because there are so many satellites now it doesn't need to pivot?

The actuator was only to move it into the initial position. The dish is phased array, meaning it can aim it's beam without moving the dish to track the satellites overhead. The V3 dish just relies on that entirely now.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question is the gen 3 a viable upgrade over the gen 2. I have the gen 2 for the rv. Thinking about getting one for home now, as the roaming Rv edition costs about $30 more a month in subscription fees

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The actuator was only to move it into the initial position. The dish is phased array, meaning it can aim it's beam without moving the dish to track the satellites overhead. The V3 dish just relies on that entirely now.
I was wondering about this, I was following a truck with a Gen 2 in the back and I could see the dish move as he travelled on the highway and wondered how a Gen 3 in motion would work.
I noticed my app now has a slider to make the dish flat while in motion, so it makes sence what you just mentioned

Right now it seems like a no brainer to just get a gen 3 instead of getting another gen 2 router or wait for a mini to be released and may get lucky with a sale.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I paid 900 when i bought mine.
Same here. Waited over a year for it after putting down a $250 deposit. But it was worth it. I bought a second Gen 2 when they went to $199, figured just for backup or spare parts in case mine went down but it hasn't skipped a beat.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about this, I was following a truck with a Gen 2 in the back and I could see the dish move as he travelled on the highway and wondered how a Gen 3 in motion would work.
I noticed my app now has a slider to make the dish flat while in motion, so it makes sence what you just mentioned

Right now it seems like a no brainer to just get a gen 3 instead of getting another gen 2 router or wait for a mini to be released and may get lucky with a sale.

If the Minis come to Canada with reasonable pricing I might get one, but I can't justify $170/month to use it maybe twice a month, especially when I have a company phone that hotspots our devices on trips.

We've got 6 of the Gen 2's now at work for our field sites, and the phone app works awesome, I can control them all remotely and update wifi passwords as needed. Total game changer for field work, especially now that we've went all cloud based for our files. Nothing worse than trying to download a 1gb Navisworks model off a crappy cell booster, turns into a few seconds now with Starlink. The hardware is really impressive, logged in the other day and one field site had 32 devices connected to the router at once.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the Minis come to Canada with reasonable pricing I might get one, but I can't justify $170/month to use it maybe twice a month, especially when I have a company phone that hotspots our devices on trips.

We've got 6 of the Gen 2's now at work for our field sites, and the phone app works awesome, I can control them all remotely and update wifi passwords as needed. Total game changer for field work, especially now that we've went all cloud based for our files. Nothing worse than trying to download a 1gb Navisworks model off a crappy cell booster, turns into a few seconds now with Starlink. The hardware is really impressive, logged in the other day and one field site had 32 devices connected to the router at once.

You can get a 50gig/month plan on the mini for a reduced rate. I think it’s 50 USD/month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I can relate. Funny how everyone suddenly becomes your best bud wanting the wifi password.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can relate. Funny how everyone suddenly becomes your best bud wanting the wifi password.
Yep same on our camping trips . Wake up in morning and friends sitting in your lawn chairs on their phones and laptops. One buddy and me are always going at it about Ford vs Chevy. He says can’t get WIFI with last summers password. I said we changed it. He said whats the new one? I told him “Ford is number 1!” He says I’m not typing that in my phone. I said well no wifi then! Hahaha.

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to just buy the hardware on sale, and not activate it right away? Looking at the Starlink site it seems to imply that you will be charged for the first month subscription at least. I likely wont be needing it for quite a few months but figured I'd buy it while on sale....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to just buy the hardware on sale, and not activate it right away? Looking at the Starlink site it seems to imply that you will be charged for the first month subscription at least. I likely wont be needing it for quite a few months but figured I'd buy it while on sale....
Would defeat the purpose of saving on hardware if that’s the case. First month be $178 and almost the same price as the equipment

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only way to do it is once it arrives switch your plan to Roam (more $$ per month) and suspend service. The only issue with doing that is that when or if you want to switch it back to Residential you will not get the priority service it had when it shipped with the residential plan if the cell is full (too many users) your service will be degraded to "best effort". It is already activated if you buy it from Starlink. Go to Costco and buy it there, they are not activated until you set it up.

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry should have mentioned this would be for the roam service once activated.

Wife works from home and requires 8 hours a day of reliable service, including a decent amount of video calling. Do you guys find the roam service reliable enough for this?

I'm looking into the Costco option, but they dont provide the Starlink Hardware in my area:unsure:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry should have mentioned this would be for the roam service once activated.

Wife works from home and requires 8 hours a day of reliable service, including a decent amount of video calling. Do you guys find the roam service reliable enough for this?

I'm looking into the Costco option, but they dont provide the Starlink Hardware in my area:unsure:
Buy it from starlink, when you get it, set it up and make sure it's all working, run it for a couple weeks then switch it to roam, then pause it.

That's what I did with my second one, the roam plan is 188.70/month when it's activated, the residential plan is 155.50/month.

As far as streaming goes I can't see it being a problem at all, when I had it set up for my work crew this summer at the campground they had 10 devices running on it. 2 were streaming Netflix or the Oilers game at the same time 2 others were gaming on thier PS and Xbox.

Top Bottom