Renshaw bridge repair

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other option is place some large timbers across the full length of the bridge to add to the strength and walk it over.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other option is place some large timbers across the full length of the bridge to add to the strength and walk it over.
The govt will not let them use the bridge. As per the post on Pg 3, it needs a $1.6M overhaul (basically full replacement). The sub structure or the abutments is the rating they would use. Its not feasible to just add timbers to the overstructure, because the substructure or the abutments still cannot support the load. In order to support the snowcat, they would need to upgrade the bridge to an engineered spec, so likely adding steel I-beams underneath, and / or replacing the abutments etc. The engineering specs are probably something way over-engineered like everything these days, they probably spec like 10 times the actual weight, because they don't want to shoulder the liability if something bad happens. And there are tons of studies beforehand, and then stream monitoring, sedimentation sampling during construction, etc, etc.

The govt does not want to spend money on these roads anymore, they've told us directly as such in southern BC. The NDP is broke, the piggy bank is empty. 89 Billion budget with a projected $7.5B deficit for 2024 (guessing that was the lowball number)..... In typical govt fashion they are getting bent over by their vendors and contractors, instead of letting private industry take over. Private industry is capable and willing to spend money to access the resources but the NDP does not understand how to interact with industry, they think unionized labour forces, unionized govt employees, and more environmental restrictions and labour legislation are the way to go. I could tell you all kinds of stories - like how last winter they spent $40K to open 15 km of road, just to get a crew in, when there was already a road they could have used that was open.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The govt will not let them use the bridge. As per the post on Pg 3, it needs a $1.6M overhaul (basically full replacement). The sub structure or the abutments is the rating they would use. Its not feasible to just add timbers to the overstructure, because the substructure or the abutments still cannot support the load. In order to support the snowcat, they would need to upgrade the bridge to an engineered spec, so likely adding steel I-beams underneath, and / or replacing the abutments etc. The engineering specs are probably something way over-engineered like everything these days, they probably spec like 10 times the actual weight, because they don't want to shoulder the liability if something bad happens. And there are tons of studies beforehand, and then stream monitoring, sedimentation sampling during construction, etc, etc.

The govt does not want to spend money on these roads anymore, they've told us directly as such in southern BC. The NDP is broke, the piggy bank is empty. 89 Billion budget with a projected $7.5B deficit for 2024 (guessing that was the lowball number)..... In typical govt fashion they are getting bent over by their vendors and contractors, instead of letting private industry take over. Private industry is capable and willing to spend money to access the resources but the NDP does not understand how to interact with industry, they think unionized labour forces, unionized govt employees, and more environmental restrictions and labour legislation are the way to go. I could tell you all kinds of stories - like how last winter they spent $40K to open 15 km of road, just to get a crew in, when there was already a road they could have used that was open.
I’m thinking more like the bureaucrats that occupy all these govt run agencies are the issue… which has been put in place for many years of poor political party leadership/decisions…. Which was put in place by poor voting mentality

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once they get those bridges fixed and signed off by a engineering company you'll be good too go...

It's a liability thing even if its not the bridges fualt if someone drives off of it... lol

Your houner,,, my client could see the bridge as he rounded the corner at 120 mpr but he couldn't gain control before he hit the deck when his truck blew right over the gard-rail...

The paint looked like its chipped and fadded which shows you and the jury that this bridge was not very well maintained...

My client is claiming damages of $200 million since he loved that truck...

He'll miss that unit...

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When has the government ever done anything in a timely fashion or actually supported the people?
Never mind support a groomer?
Sadly. Only one time the government worked in a timely fashion. It was for Serb checks. Lock down everyone and send $2000 to all within 48 hours. First time government ever worked fast.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any pictures of this bridge? How deep is the water? Is there enough snow to push a snow bridge?
Pretty high up and very wide. I'll see if I have any photos. Would have to make a snow bridge but would require some excavator work, not enough snow this low

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll drive up there and hike in ... its under 30 ish k in before the climb too the cabin... My old friend Rod told me its a scramble up that grade in the summer months... ha
20240907_155543.jpg

Must bring tape Measure ,,, plum,,, and level,,, it would be easy hiking in and out in the day...

Drop a water/ food stash for the next day then do a early morning scramble too the cabin...

A person might get lucky with the rolling walker too pack the Cofffeee Vokacheeno's and extras in...

Drag the bike threw the River if We have too...

Oh boy,,, a 1309 km rounder i guess...

Ill pup tent and drink fake beer and clamp juice as normal... Easy task for Us Snow and Mud dudes... its part of the sport they say...
20240906_200327.jpg

Easy peezzzy,,, just like a snowmobile run but with bike and Machete in hand... lol

Dam buck brush and bears...
20240810_080630.jpg

20240707_091703.jpg

They don't like my $7 can of ( Anti-critter spray )

Old Lem has cut a few trails in his day...

In and out,,, take lots of photos,,, spec out the Measurements angles terrain as such...

Bring back results and see whats happening,,, and its a trail worth doing in the off season...

Just past the old home stead is where my now passed on rancher friend lived...
He was a great old fellow... He and his family worked hard breaking that land back there...
Always at battle with trees and floods...

There is a old old flow-line into the Farthest N/W corner by Pyramid mountain... I've never been on it and im positive that alot of it has changed in 40 ish years...

A person can pop out there and hike across the bowl too enter into the Looooong Valley of the Bears...

The Buck-brush is 20 ft tall in spots... lol

Pretty sure I won't make it that far back,,, it would be an intresting hike...

Drag bikes in,,, stuff them into the trees then hike beyond...

The something too do,,, the horse camp folks will be back there hunting and fishing right now...

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You folks are going too make me dig out old sled photos of the Ren when I had hair ...

I find out if my Prehistoric hard drive still has them in memory...

I was quit a sled bumm back in my day,,, I started Chewing up the Renn in 2004 or 5 if I recall ,,, dang,,,, how time flys...

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Snow cannon for a few days when it's gets cold and you'd have ample snow to build a rock solid bridge across that gap.
The water required for those snow cannons is highly filtered high quality, and they plug up easily if you don't have that. They used them a few years ago in Alberta Beach for making a snow drag track and the water bill from the town was almost as much as the rental of the cannon.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The water required for those snow cannons is highly filtered high quality, and they plug up easily if you don't have that. They used them a few years ago in Alberta Beach for making a snow drag track and the water bill from the town was almost as much as the rental of the cannon.
Panorama sucks millions of liters out of Toby Creek for snow making. I know a guy who runs a snowmaking operation for northern winter roads, suck h2o out of any Creek.
Each fan gun has a filter I believe.
I asked about making snow for our snow bridge and he said no problem, just need a big enough genset to run the fan gun, pump and air compressor.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are already folks on here bitching about the price of the trail passes and the quality of grooming. Can you imagine the f!@#$%g whining if the price of the trail pass increased to cover the cost of the snow making?

Unfortuneatly this is not a small problem with an easy fix. This is going to take some work with the gornement to convince them that the Trail is more valuable to "all" in operational condition.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canmore has been building Snow mound piles...
They cover the pile with Biodegradable wood chips...

Knock off the chips and they start building cross country ski trails early in the season...

Also expensive with human power and machines...

I got my mapping sorted last night,,, its a easy trail for the bike-hike,,, I'm not sure if ill do the cabin or not...
Screenshot_20240913_100833_Maps.jpg

Farley easy climb with the boots ( less ) fallen trees,,, stuff the bike into the trees if i do head up...

2012 was my last run up there...

Beautiful Scenery

Top Bottom