Jasper is on fire!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hwy 16 opens to all traffic tomorrow.
from 7am to 9pm only, and is subject to change based upon fire behaviours.

No stopping, no fuel, no bathrooms, no entering the town site

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
❗Highway 16 Update❗

AB Highway 16 will open to all traffic on FRIDAY, AUGUST 9, provided conditions allow. The highway will open to all east and westbound traffic daily from 7 am to 9 pm. (MT). These times will now apply to commercial traffic as well. Times and access are subject to change without notice and are dependent on fire behaviour and operational needs.

While travelling through Jasper National Park, motorists should note the following and plan accordingly:
🔺Stopping or exiting off of Highway 16 is not permitted.
🔺There are no washrooms or refuelling options.
🔺Obey all posted speed limits and signage.

Peace officers will have enhanced patrols to ensure these travel restrictions are followed.

This opening is only for Highway 16 and not Highway 93N in Jasper or other roadways throughout the park, which remain closed to all non-incident traffic. Details on reopening those roadways will be shared when the information becomes available.

Check Alberta 511 for the latest update: https://511.alberta.ca

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here in campsite - Jasper Gates. Smells like a camp fire here. This Starlink is sweet. Very fast. My one consultant didn’t get much done today as the federal government has a lot of rules in place that are totally unreasonable, this is going to cost insurance companies big bucks with all the red tape, it’s thick. I’ll update you tomorrow

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Been in jasper all day. It’s a ghost Town, cars and stuff still sitting here from when the fire happened. We did the Crimson hotel and restaurant pretty weird. It’s like everybody just left instantly the kitchen all the foods there everything firefighters use some of the rooms while putting out fires was vacant. Now we’re doing the château Jasper and the Lobstick lodge. Lots of patrols by rcmp and parks. Choppers flying with water bags all day from town putting out many hot spots. We got official passes at the gate now. I covered the number. That must be in your drivers side window at bottom. We got an IPad app made by a guy on fiver works slick we just need to figure out better. We’ll just made some great burgers for supper and cleaned all up. Now time to figure this app out more. Also at this time they don’t want us to look at any residential buildings. We have the courthouse and associated buildings, we scooted by there quickly and that building was fine but all the buildings around it were burnt or knocked down for purpose of a fire stop. The north wall of the liquor store still had beer on the shelves. The next building was surreal. The roof was burnt completely off. The church was a pile of concrete and debris. The petro Canada is still there. If you know this town and spend time here it’s truly heartbreaking. Unfortunately I am not aloud to post any pictures so I can’t. I have never seen this town so dead. Lots of rcmp though.

Attachments

• IMG_5616.jpeg
    IMG_5616.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5615.jpeg
    IMG_5615.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 77

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the town never will be the same. Nor will many of the attractions. Mt Edith Cavell was by far my favorite spot in that area, came across these pictures yesterday, heartbreaking to say the least. Hopefully the Alpine was spared, but not holding my breath.

1723345365582.png

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those boys in BC are on their game this year!

i wish i could share the videos I'm seeing from the locals in town. But holy smokes that is how its done. The response time was incredible. 3 JET air tankers doing laps back to PG with retardant so about 30 min cycle time. 4 Air tractor skimmers just hammering it constantly and picking up water on the lake. Multiple helicopters, lots of ground crews. Never seen a response like that. All arrived in less than 30 mins. Really goes to show how mismanaged the jasper fire was and how even though they were telling everyone they were "doing all they could" they absolutely were not.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those boys in BC are on their game this year!
Bc has really up ed their game this year . We had fires very for the last few years and the response was incredibly slow . This year they are hitting with a vengeance and somebody has been able to properly prioritize where to place the resources

Top Bottom