Area's in Renshaw

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I never heard about that. Where did you guys overnight? in the cabin?

LONG STORY, BUT IT HAPPENED ABOUT 1:00PM AND WAS TOTAL SNOWSTORM/WHITEOUT.... OUR FAIRLY LARGE GROUP(12 TO 15 OF US?) OF FORT SASKATCHEWAN SNOW ANGELS JUST CRESTED THE "NOTCH" AND STOPPED TO GET OUR BEARINGS, AND DON SAID HE DIDN'T FEEL GOOD AND BASICALLY COLLAPSED BESIDE HIS SLED. WE QUICKLY GOT BLANKETS TOGETHER TO KEEP HIM WARM, AND MADE WIND BREAKERS(EVEN 1/2 AN IGLOO), BECAUSE IT WAS SO DAM WINDY UP THERE. I LEAD A SMALL GROUP OF 2 OTHERS BACK AROUND TO THE CABIN, BECAUSE WE NEW THERE WERE PARAMEDICS TRAINING IN RENSHAW, AND WE RAN INTO THEM SEVERAL TIMES THAT DAY. WE FINALLY TRACKED THEM DOWN 1/2 WAY DOWN THE TRAIL, SO WE SENT 1 GUY(I THINK IT WAS BBTOYS) INTO THE RCMP STATION FOR HELP(MEDIVAC, RESCUE, ETC) AND THE PARAMEDICS CAME BACK TO THE CABIN. THE PARAMEDICS WEREN'T EXPERIENCED RIDERS, AND WERE UNCOMFORTABLE RIDING IN THE WHITEOUT AND NEVER REALLY WANTED TO RIDE BACK AROUND TO THE "NOTCH" WHERE THE REST OF THE GROUP AND DON WAS, BUT WE DID HAVE OUR COBRA 2WAY RADIOS, AND AFTER LOTS OF COACHING ON WHAT TO DO, AND QUITE A BIT OF TIME WAITING FOR THE HELICOPTER(WHICH DID SHOW UP-WE COULD HEAR IT-, BUT COULDN'T LAND, DUE TO ZERO VISIBILITY) THE PARAMEDICS SAID WE HAD TO GET HIM DOWN, BECAUSE HE WAS DIEING. I TOOK 2 OF OUR GUYS BACK UP TO THE "NOTCH" AND I THEN LED THE GROUP DOWN(WHICH I KNEW LIKE THE BACK OF MY HAND BY THEN), AS WE WERE JUST ON THE TRAIL AND YOU COULD BARELY SEE THE GOAT TRAIL(ABSOLUTE WHITE OUT). SCOTT DAVIES(WHO HAD THE BIGGEST/BADDEST SLED IN THE GROUP AT THE TIME, AND PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST EXPERIENCED) DOUBLED DON OFF THE HILL, AND I LED THEM(ULTRA BRITE HEADLITE AND VERY BRIGHT LED TAILLITE) SO THEY COULD SEE ME, AND WHERE I WAS GOING. WE MADE IT TO THE CABIN AND HEATED THE CABIN UP AS BEST POSSIBLE AND THEY SPENT A LOT OF TIME TRYING TO STABILIZE DON. EVENTUALLY THE PARAMEDICS SAID WE HAD TO GET HIM TO THE HOSPITAL, THAT THEY HAD DONE ALL THEY COULD DOO. WE LOADED UP BASICALLY THE SAME WAY THAT WE CAME DOWN FROM THE "NOTCH" AND I LEAD WITH MY BRIGHT HEADLITE AND LED TAILLITE DOWN THE EXTREMELY BUMPY TRAIL(I THINK THE GROOMER WAS BROKEN THAT WEEKEND). WE HAD DON WRAPPED UP AND TIED UP IN FRONT OF SCOTT, BUT IT WAS A VERY LONG RIDE DOWN. WE GOT HIM TO THE MEDIVAC UNIT ABOUT 10:00PM THAT NITE(IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY) AND THEY WHISKED HIM OFF TO THE HOSPITAL. SEVERAL OF THE GUYS SPENT A LOT OF TIME BRINGING THE EXTRA SLED DOWN OFF THE MOUNTAIN BY MOVING THE SLED UP AND DOUBLING BACK TO GRAB THE OTHER AND MOVING IT AHEAD ETC.... TOOK A LONG TIME IN THE SNOWSTORM/WHITEOUT. DON IS OKAY TODAY AND HAD THE GREEN LITE TO GO SLEDDING LAST YEAR AGAIN. HE WORKS OUT AT ELK ISLAND SALES, SO IF YOU'RE EVER OUT THERE SAY HI TO DON.... HE'S ONE OF OUR FORT SASKATCHEWAN SNOW ANGELS', "ANGELS"......... HE IS ONE OF THE NICEST MEN YOU'LL EVER MEET. TOLD YOU IT WAS A LONG STORY, AND IT REALLY WAS A WHOLE DAY ADVENTURE.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spot that is A HUGE DROP IN, can anybody tell me if there is another way out, besides the climb out over the HUGE DROP IN. If not I will have to go back in and find one. Hope you can save me some time. I have a sled to recover out of there.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hay Bb Are You Talking About The Drop Back Past The First Big Valley, Almost North /west I Think, There Are Two drops one after another Then A Big Open Basin Towards Spirit Lake. If Thats The One I Have Never Herd Of A Easer Way Out.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one I was in yesteday was at the end of the Blackwater creek. Follow Blackwater creek to the top and go to the end of the valley, always climbing. Then look down into a deep hole(valley) along way down and a long pull to get out, I mean a long long pull. Deep and alot of untouched pow back there but will not be able to pull dead sled out the way I came in. May have to go and do some recon. work tomorrow if nobody can help

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Catman I will save that valley for us this weekend, so bring your A game.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Barry, Yup, Thats The Bowl We Played In, At The End Of Blackwater Creek And Up Over The Lip.... Its Like 2 Very Long Step Descents(or Pulls), Very Steep.... We Were Going To Give A New Mountain Phazer A Hand, Because He Never Had The Power To Climb Out Of The Bowl, Even With 60mph Runs At The Climb.... My 13 Year Old Rode Out On Our Old '98 Yammie 600 Mountain Max(not The Daughter That Broke Her Ribs). The Phazer Had To Be Pulled Out By A New 154" Xp Summit And They Still Had Trouble, Even With Both Sleds Pinned To The Nuts. When You Are At The Bottom On The Lake Looking Up The Climb.... Look Over To The Left Along The Tree Line, And That Is Another Way In....there Should Be A Well Packed Trail Up There, But Its Still Fairly Steep.... I Know Bunnyman And I Have Been In That Way Before With The Old 136" Tracks. Let Me Know If I Can Help Any More.........

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, this one is one long drop to the bottom. At the top you go through a small rock shute 12 foot walls on both sides and then it is downhill to the bottom.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If blackwater creek is the creek you get to when you cut off the main trail down a cut line at Km 20 or so (at the cut block before the cabin) this is the end of it, we were told it was called hwy 1. Also a pic of the area when you come out of the creek. Pic of the creek was from end of march last year and the riding area was from 2 years ago.

Attachments

• Mcbride Mar31 016.jpg
    Mcbride Mar31 016.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 226

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blackwater is at km 27( the last cutblock) but pic of the creek doesn't look like anything I recgonize, but things change.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
No, this one is one long drop to the bottom. At the top you go through a small rock shute 12 foot walls on both sides and then it is downhill to the bottom.

WHERE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT IS AT THE END OF BLACKWATER CREEK AND ITS A BIG BOWL AND JUST KEEPS GOIN UP AND UP GREAT POWDER AND THEN YOU HAVE A ROCK SHUTE BETWEEN THE PEAKS ABOUT 20 FEET WIDE WITH 12 FOOT WALLS ON BOTH SIDES AND THEN STEEP DOWNHILL SLIGHTLY TURNING TO THE LEFT TO MINOR SMALL PLATEAU AND A RIGHT AND THEN STEEP DOWN HILL AGAIN TO THE LAKE/MEADOW FLATS..... I'M SURE THATS THE SAME PLACE BARRY

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WHERE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT IS AT THE END OF BLACKWATER CREEK AND ITS A BIG BOWL AND JUST KEEPS GOIN UP AND UP GREAT POWDER AND THEN YOU HAVE A ROCK SHUTE BETWEEN THE PEAKS ABOUT 20 FEET WIDE WITH 12 FOOT WALLS ON BOTH SIDES AND THEN STEEP DOWNHILL SLIGHTLY TURNING TO THE LEFT TO MINOR SMALL PLATEAU AND A RIGHT AND THEN STEEP DOWN HILL AGAIN TO THE LAKE/MEADOW FLATS..... I'M SURE THATS THE SAME PLACE BARRY

That is the area, i wont forget that rock shoot. Kinda scary goin through it. The pic of the creek is in the late spring right at the top of it where it opens up into the bowl. The turn off the main trail was in the last cut block, could'nt remember what Km it was at but it was a cutline of to the left on the way up.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rick: That is the bowl I was in yesterday. The small shelf was small so I didn't consider it but yes that is where the sled is broke down and will try to find another way out.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one I was in yesteday was at the end of the Blackwater creek. Follow Blackwater creek to the top and go to the end of the valley, always climbing. Then look down into a deep hole(valley) along way down and a long pull to get out, I mean a long long pull. Deep and alot of untouched pow back there but will not be able to pull dead sled out the way I came in. May have to go and do some recon. work tomorrow if nobody can help

GOOD LUCK...lol may i ask what kind of sled broke down? :D

Top Bottom