Area's in Renshaw

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Takes a fair bit of fuel to go that far back,remainder of map would be interesting. I have been to Interpass Ridge, Shale Mountain and Crushing/Morkil but have never found a way to get into Kakwa area(without going into a park) and we've been lookin for a few years with the help of locals. They keep telling me to just use FSR's that go to Kakwa cause its way closer/easier, but where's the fun in that. Good work on the Googling, it can be helpful in finding hidden jewels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey dean, is there a chance you could map out Lucille and Bell?

.08rider

Reaction score
Hey Dean thanks for the great map! One question though, i have been over two different saddles behind the cabin. My riding partners and I argue about which is which, when you refer to the saddle is it the first cross over directly behind the ridge of the cabin, or over to the left from it? We normally cross over in what we call the #1 saddle which is the first one, leads you down to the right then hard left down into a wide open bowl? #2 leads you down into trees almost right away with a hill to your right, I have been on top of the hill on the right but never droped in, is this the large drop you are talking about.
Thanks Dennis

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Dean thanks for the great map! One question though, i have been over two different saddles behind the cabin. My riding partners and I argue about which is which, when you refer to the saddle is it the first cross over directly behind the ridge of the cabin, or over to the left from it? We normally cross over in what we call the #1 saddle which is the first one, leads you down to the right then hard left down into a wide open bowl? #2 leads you down into trees almost right away with a hill to your right, I have been on top of the hill on the right but never droped in, is this the large drop you are talking about.
Thanks Dennis

HEY DENNIS: YEA, WE CALL THEM THE "1ST OR 2ND SADDLE" OR "EAST/WEST" SADDLES TOO.... IF YOU LOOK ON DEANS MAP, HE CALLS THE FIRST SADDLE THE SWITCHBACK AND HASN'T REALLY POINTED OUT THE 2ND SADDLE(BUT ITS ABOVE WHAT HE CALLS THE SADDLE(IN THE RED CIRCLE)). DOES THAT HELP??

.08rider

Reaction score
That helps alot! we have gone more than 20 miles away from the first saddle blew up a 670 HO last year dragged it to the saddle, we could not get it over so we rode up the Chalco the next day with the Trapper and he helped drag it down to the willows for us so we could get it out. Now, when you cross the second saddle i miss led you, the hill I said that was on the right is actually on the left when you are coming down from the saddle, over that and down to the "Blackwater" is that correct? If this is where we want to ride is it easier to turn @ 23 kms on the trail to get there? Is it easy enough to find off that cutblock? McBride is the best!! I have riden there for 5 years and still don't even have a clue?

.08rider

Reaction score
Also, one more thing, there was another guy asking about "Spirit lake" dean shows a trail sraight back off the switchback, if you follow this trail to the left that will take you to spirit lake, right??? And what about "Dore" "the back dore" where do yo call the dore??

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
That helps alot! we have gone more than 20 miles away from the first saddle blew up a 670 HO last year dragged it to the saddle, we could not get it over so we rode up the Chalco the next day with the Trapper and he helped drag it down to the willows for us so we could get it out. Now, when you cross the second saddle i miss led you, the hill I said that was on the right is actually on the left when you are coming down from the saddle, over that and down to the "Blackwater" is that correct? If this is where we want to ride is it easier to turn @ 23 kms on the trail to get there? Is it easy enough to find off that cutblock? McBride is the best!! I have riden there for 5 years and still don't even have a clue?

YUP, MUCH QUICKER TO TURN OFF THE TRAIL @ 23KMS AND UP THE BLACKWATER CREEK TO THE AREA. STAY TO THE RIGHT AT THE CUTBLOCK AND YOU'LL SEE THE TRAIL THROUGH THE TREES.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Also, one more thing, there was another guy asking about "Spirit lake" dean shows a trail sraight back off the switchback, if you follow this trail to the left that will take you to spirit lake, right??? And what about "Dore" "the back dore" where do yo call the dore??

YUP, BACK TO SPIRIT LAKE, PYRAMID MOUNTAIN, SHALE MOUNTAIN, MORKIL, WATERFALLS, ETC.
I BELIEVE DORE IS BACK BY LUCILLE -- ??? BBTOYS SHOULD KNOW

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well,

We call the one way "Switchback", which takes you over the top of the ridge and down "The Step Ladder" into the back side. This is a more reliable route into and out of the back side.

The second way (to the left) is through the saddle, and over into the area behind the saddle, once back there you can loop around to the back side, or loop the other way to the Ant Hills (Blackwater). As far as I know, there is only one saddle, but we all have our different names for these areas.

To respond to Powder Hound, yes my map covers the area all the way back to spirit lake and beyond, but I don't want to give up all my secrets at once, the route back there is a bit tricky, The first time I was taken back there, I follow this guy on an older Polaris 700 short track (couch), He called it "Sally", he rode that little sled like it was an new XP, perhaps we can meet up out there one day and go for a tour.

To respond to rucky, I have started a mad of Luceile, but we dont go there very often, and its a smaller area anyway, map not really needed, just be careful going into the butterfly, its a tough climb out, so I've heard.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Dore is heavy avy. As locals we don't promote it because of this fact. Also there is heli ski and cross country ski trails in there. No campground to unload at just the side of the road and watch for no parking signs, don't know if they are up or not.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice map you got going there, it's funny how people have alot of different names for certain spots, what you have called the switchback and someone else called the step ladder has been also known as the "staircase", also the back side right has been known as the "falls" or "chalco falls", as this is the top of the trail from the chalco/holmes. Another is what is refered to as the ant hills or blackwater has also been known as "mckale basin".

I'm guessing that from your map you haven't been back to loren lake/pass which is east of the falls or you just haven't mapped it yet, if you want untouched powder thats the place to go, but pack gas, you'll burn it up quick.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the map,was wondering about blackwater myself,Will check it out next sat.
catmando!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the map between backside and backside right there are two more spots to go over the top and down. Shortest route to the back from the cabin but can be to much for a 151 to climb back out(and it's a quick skid to the bottom). When you're on the flats at the bottom of the saddle turn right and go straight up on either side of the small cornice.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To respond to rucky, I have started a mad of Luceile, but we dont go there very often, and its a smaller area anyway, map not really needed, just be careful going into the butterfly, its a tough climb out, so I've heard.

Yeah, it's a smaller area, but it's still a good thing to have a map for the smaller areas just to figure out where you are if it's a gloomy day. I haven't been into the butterfly yet, i've looked down from the point which you drop in, but maybe next trip we'll drop in.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, Heard It Called That Too.... We Were Actually Going To Put A Sign Up On The "notch" Because That Is Where One Of Our Fort Saskatchewan Snow Angel Members Went Down(kinda Like A Brain Aneurism), And It Was A Very Long Day And Night, Until We Were Able To Get Don Out Of Renshaw To The Rescue Vehicle In The Parking Lot(white Out Conditions And Snowblizzard Wouldn't Allow The Helicopter To Land, And The Paramedic Didn't Want To Move Him Too Soon, Until He Could Partially Stabilize Him For The Rough Doubleup Ride Down Renshaw -- When The Groomer Was Broken, Of Course, And The Trail Was Vw Bug Sized Craters), But That Is Another Story... We Were Thinkin Of Callin It Don's Saddle Or Don's Notch And Posting A Sign Up There On The Big Rock At The Top..

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea, try to make the sign permanent, and in an area it won't get covered in snow, so it lasts. It would take about half a season, and everyone would be calling it "Don's Notch"

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, Heard It Called That Too.... We Were Actually Going To Put A Sign Up On The "notch" Because That Is Where One Of Our Fort Saskatchewan Snow Angel Members Went Down(kinda Like A Brain Aneurism), And It Was A Very Long Day And Night, Until We Were Able To Get Don Out Of Renshaw To The Rescue Vehicle In The Parking Lot(white Out Conditions And Snowblizzard Wouldn't Allow The Helicopter To Land, And The Paramedic Didn't Want To Move Him Too Soon, Until He Could Partially Stabilize Him For The Rough Doubleup Ride Down Renshaw -- When The Groomer Was Broken, Of Course, And The Trail Was Vw Bug Sized Craters), But That Is Another Story... We Were Thinkin Of Callin It Don's Saddle Or Don's Notch And Posting A Sign Up There On The Big Rock At The Top..

I never heard about that. Where did you guys overnight? in the cabin?

Top Bottom