Area's in Renshaw

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
:help:Seems alot of people still can't tell the difference between 1 inch of snow and 1 foot of snow.

We were riding Blackwater and 2 bowles further and we were in from knee deep to half way up to your chest, I have pics which dont lie. By the cabin and area's there it was only between 6" and 18" was the deepest we could find. But I agree with you it was nothing compared to last year at this time. We rode boxing day to sunday, and others that rode sunday said in blackwater there was no tracks then, so it must of snowed enough to bury our tracks and there was some 3 - 4' trenches in there.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At our fire spot near the end of granny trail in lucille, there was barely more than three feet of total snow, we dug it right to the ground just because we had nothing better to do...= ]

Last edited by a moderator:

..Stiffler..

Reaction score
My brother and I are planning on going out on Feb 1-3...never been out there...would like to ride with some of you pros if that is good...or maybe someone can tell us where the best places to go would be...

we are green to mountain climbing and such...so we might get stuck lots...just to warn who ever....

I ride an 05 RT1000 modded with a 144 track...clutch kit and gearing changes....My brother rides an 06 800 Rev 144....

lookin to have some fun...

Stiff

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
My brother and I are planning on going out on Feb 1-3...never been out there...would like to ride with some of you pros if that is good...or maybe someone can tell us where the best places to go would be...

we are green to mountain climbing and such...so we might get stuck lots...just to warn who ever....

I ride an 05 RT1000 modded with a 144 track...clutch kit and gearing changes....My brother rides an 06 800 Rev 144....

lookin to have some fun...

Stiff
Its best to ride with someone that knows a bit of the country if its your first time. Make sure you have all the mountain gear. If my sled comes back from my Golden trip in one piece I might be heading to McBride that weekend.

.08rider

Reaction score
Where is Blackwater Ron? I have rode the Renshaw alot and have never heard of it. I believe I have been to Spirit Lake, never Blackwater.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same with us, we ride Renshaw several times a year, and go all over the "back country", we've been north of spirit lake a long ways, almost to Kakwa, but I've never heard the name "blackwater".

But there are different names for some of the areas depending on who you talk to, east bowl, west side, switchback, saddle, ant hills, back side.......

Is there an actual map with the real names f these areas??

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
If We Told You Where Blackwater Is, We'd Have To Kill You...... Lol ......... I've Heard Blackwater Called Westbanks Before, So If You Go Over The Left Saddle, Just Keep Heading Around To The Left(west) And You Will Cross Several Ridges And Come Into The Blackwater Area(blackwater Creek)..... Shhhhh, Don't Tell Anyone, Its One Of The Secrets Of Renshaw!!!

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was pounded out real bad on Wed. so alot of people know about it.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the area we call "Ant Hills"

We sometimes hang a left at km 23 or so, follow the logging road around, then its into trees for a while, then you pop out in the area we call "Ant Hills" Does this sound about right??

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Sounds like the area we call "Ant Hills"

We sometimes hang a left at km 23 or so, follow the logging road around, then its into trees for a while, then you pop out in the area we call "Ant Hills" Does this sound about right??

YEA, BUT YOU ARE ON THE SECONDARY CUTBLOCK ROAD THERE, RIGHT(EITHER KM 17 OR 23 WILL GET YOU THERE)?? FROM THERE YOU HAVE TO FIND THE TRAIL UP BLACKWATER CREEK(WAY OVER TO THE RIGHT SIDE(EAST SIDE) OF THE CUTLINE ROAD AND FOLLOW THE NARROW TRAIL UP TO BLACKWATER AREA.... FROM THERE IT WAS LIMITLESS, WITH MANY BOWLS TO THE NORTH TO PLAY IN..... YOU CAN ALSO GET BACK TO THE SADDLES AND TO THE CABIN FROM THERE WHEN YOU HEAD EAST FROM THE BLACKWATER AREA. WHEN WE WERE THERE, IT WAS BASICALLY UNTRACKED, EXCEPT FOR THE OTHER GROUP THAT STARTED IN THERE WITH US..... 2 TO 3 FT FRESH POWDER AND WE ONLY MARKED UP SMALL AREA OF THAT HUGE AREA!!!

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, we are talking about the same place, we call it the Ant Hills. I don't know why, but we do.

We have dropped into the area north of there too, its a long long drop in, conditions were favourable for exploring that day, the climb back out was a little sketchy, but we made it. Not sure what that area is called, we refer to it as "over the back of the ant hills"

We are building a map in Google earth of the entire area, with common routes and area names, we use it too orientate the new guys, and point out the danger zones. You can never be too safe.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a work in progress, and I'm not sure how I would make it visible to others, its all saved in my google earth directory.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, we are talking about the same place, we call it the Ant Hills. I don't know why, but we do.

We have dropped into the area north of there too, its a long long drop in, conditions were favourable for exploring that day, the climb back out was a little sketchy, but we made it. Not sure what that area is called, we refer to it as "over the back of the ant hills"

We are building a map in Google earth of the entire area, with common routes and area names, we use it too orientate the new guys, and point out the danger zones. You can never be too safe.

Not sure if we're talking about the same area but we also call a spot up there the ant hill's and we dropped in on Dec27 with not a track in site. After going up and down a couple times you end up in a creek, if you follow the creek up it shoots you back up towards the saddle. Are we talking about the same spot? I've attached a pic of us poking a the first real climb.

Attachments

• 100_2451.jpg
    100_2451.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 375

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya I recognize those trees,!!!!?????

I dont think so,........

I think I've figured a way to attach my google map. Its a work in progress, so bare with me, the white lines are common routes to different areas, the colored loops outline general riding areas (at least the best I could tell). I used my GPS tracks where possible to define the routes and areas, but we have no hit all of them since I rigged my sled with the new Zumo GPS. For some reason the text in the blue areas for the west side and east bowl are not showing,????

If anyone would like to comment on alternate names or additional areas, please do, I can add them to the map.

I feel like I should add a disclaimer to remind you that this is just a map made from our experience out there, please only ride into areas you feel comfortable riding in, do not go exploring just because it is shown on my map.

There,.......... all liability derfered

Happy sledding

GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Dean.... Yup Maps Lookin' Good.... What You Call The Meadows And Anthills Is Actually The "blackwater" Area. The "huge Dropin" Has A Lake Or Two Down There, And I Thought The Bigger Lake Was Actually Called Blackwater Lake??? Could Be Wrong. There's Also Several More Bowls In That Area Too.
Hey Showtime.... Yeah I Think Where You Guys Are In That Picture Is The Roundabout Way To Get Into Where Dean Called "the Huge Drop" From The Saddle.

Powder hound

Reaction score
Hey Dean, you mentioned that you have been back around spirit lake and way beyond to Kakwa. Just wondering if there was a reason you didn't add this to your map. Or is this a Top Secret Area?

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of deep powder back there.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a work in progress, and I'm not sure how I would make it visible to others, its all saved in my google earth directory.

"Publish" the points to the google community. Right click on the point, click publish, your web browser opens. Follow insturctions there. If you don't have an account in google communities, you need to make one, not hard to do and its free.

Top Bottom