Sicamous bridge truck crash

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like that & it is that simple? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. What is down side to paying hourly or is there one?
There is always gonna be unsafe drivers and even white guys are in a hurry with km rates
Hourly pay will def drive up the cost of shipping but i think it would help with safety

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is always gonna be unsafe drivers and even white guys are in a hurry with km rates
Hourly pay will def drive up the cost of shipping but i think it would help with safety

Can shipping costs get any higher…….. I guess yes they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe a system where the pay is flat rate but with a time limit on to fast or to slow.
To fast get a $ penalty, to slow same thing.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The issue here is our northern climate. Too many days that the roads are in poor conditions, compared with anywhere further south in North America. Where does one draw the line that some freight is transported by the km, but then switches over to time based..???
Lets be honest here… more of Canadian infrastructure and industry is influenced by America than we’d care to admit.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The issue here is our northern climate. Too many days that the roads are in poor conditions, compared with anywhere further south in North America. Where does one draw the line that some freight is transported by the km, but then switches over to time based..???
Lets be honest here… more of Canadian infrastructure and industry is influenced by America than we’d care to admit.
I think it was mentioned in a thread a while back (freedom convoy ?) a lot of the truckers that pull for big chains like Walmart and big grocery chains have set times they can offload or they can be turned around. With weather as a consideration in this country that puts a lot of pressure on drivers to meet their deadlines.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as i have said before this all caused by a km rate of pay instead of a hourly rate for these drivers
this is something the gov needs to step in and fix as much as i hate gov influence
I've been thinking the same. With the entire industry shifting to e-logs, it opens the opportunity for easier implementation of safety monitoring software or route calculation pricing models. Enter your destination/route and a minimum time window is allotted to complete. Makes it fair and predictable for drivers, employers and brokers. Kinda like mechanic book time except speed and be penalized. It would be preferable to not have to need big brother watching all the time, but it appears the current scenario is not sustainable.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same. With the entire industry shifting to e-logs, it opens the opportunity for easier implementation of safety monitoring software or route calculation pricing models. Enter your destination/route and a minimum time window is allotted to complete. Makes it fair and predictable for drivers, employers and brokers. Kinda like mechanic book time except speed and be penalized. It would be preferable to not have to need big brother watching all the time, but it appears the current scenario is not sustainable.

Don't forget to pass a law that it's against the law to break the law :)

There are a multitude rules & regulations in place, I'm for a system that enforces these. Equally important that should make the business owner & DOT accountable.

Back to the Humboldt wreck, the list of infractions against the business owner that employed the driver was long & why didn't DOT revoked his licence. If DOT had done there job.........There is shared responsibility from my perspective & no accountability. Plenty of rules & regulations in place that were not followed.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trucking industry has some of the dumbest rules ever. You can time out on your log book and have to park your truck because it’s too dangerous to drive one more minute. But then you hop into commuter vehicle to drive home and suddenly your not a menace to society anymore.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
people don't run two log books anymore?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
people don't run two log books anymore?
My uncle drove truck in Grande Prairie for a bit, he tried driving with one log book and quickly realized that it was an impossible task. He tried very hard to make it work as his moral compass is set pretty high.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My uncle drove truck in Grande Prairie for a bit, he tried driving with one log book and quickly realized that it was an impossible task. He tried very hard to make it work as his moral compass is set pretty high.

And go back to the days where water or condensate was paid by the cubic meter.

Didn't take a genius to figure out when a truck had 600hp under the hood and was crawling up a 7% grade at 30km/h it wasn't even close to legal weight. Thankfully DOT put an end to that.

Top Bottom