One for the professional Welders

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just grabbed my sheet here, it will take a .035 Flux Core, now if I get a .035 Solid Wire would that make any difference or does it have something to do with the voltage needed to make a good weld. (I always use the one at our shop and its always set up just turn the power and gas on and adjust for the material thickness and go, I've never set one up from scratch before :confused: ) Appreciate all the advice :)

No, you will have very different parameters from the solid wire to the flux core, never try to cross them over.

The chart on your machine should give you the voltage and wire speed required for the thickness of metal you are trying to weld.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just grabbed my sheet here, it will take a .035 Flux Core, now if I get a .035 Solid Wire would that make any difference or does it have something to do with the voltage needed to make a good weld. (I always use the one at our shop and its always set up just turn the power and gas on and adjust for the material thickness and go, I've never set one up from scratch before :confused: ) Appreciate all the advice :)

I tried to look up a chart for your machine, couldnt find one, but on the sheet it only recommended flux core wire for anything over about 3/16 of an inch.

Are you familiar enough with the machine to set it up by eye and ear?

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weld this painted hand rail to this oily hand rail. Don't worry about there just hand rails

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to look up a chart for your machine, couldnt find one, but on the sheet it only recommended flux core wire for anything over about 3/16 of an inch.

Are you familiar enough with the machine to set it up by eye and ear?

No, not with this machine. The one at the shop is a big Miller Mig, I kind of have a handle on that one, but this smaller machine is 120v goes into a standard plug, so I'm thinking it might be a bit different. I just finished putting it together, I was going to give it a try tomorrow night maybe.
So in regards to the thickness, I can still use the gas/solid wire for 3/16 - 5/16" then?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i llike the flux core wire ... solid wire has way less clean up but it is alot more to run.... as for gasses i have used argon on cwb welding procedures before as well

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weld this painted hand rail to this oily hand rail. Don't worry about there just hand rails

and that is a repair and maintenance situation? Do you have any idea what repair and maintenance welding is?

Nope, if your welding hand rail you follow procedure and procedure involves the proper prep work.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, not with this machine. The one at the shop is a big Miller Mig, I kind of have a handle on that one, but this smaller machine is 120v goes into a standard plug, so I'm thinking it might be a bit different. I just finished putting it together, I was going to give it a try tomorrow night maybe.
So in regards to the thickness, I can still use the gas/solid wire for 3/16 - 5/16" then?

The only chart I could find for that machine showed it recommending you only weld up to 10 gauge with solid wire. After that they recommend flux core.

If you wish to try on some scrap metal, put the .030 wire in, use CO2 gas, set the voltage setting at its highest, set the wire speed to about the middle, then go up or down with the wire speed till you get a decent looking weld and hear the old bacon frying crackling sound. The machine may not be capable, but you can play around to see if it will do it.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only chart I could find for that machine showed it recommending you only weld up to 10 gauge with solid wire. After that they recommend flux core.

If you wish to try on some scrap metal, put the .030 wire in, use CO2 gas, set the voltage setting at its highest, set the wire speed to about the middle, then go up or down with the wire speed till you get a decent looking weld and hear the old bacon frying crackling sound. The machine may not be capable, but you can play around to see if it will do it.

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the info, appreciated! :beer: :)

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the info, appreciated! :beer: :)

I have a similar machine, Miller 135 120v and although they 'say' you can run .030 and .035 wire, we have had the best luck with .024 solid wire. Pure Co2 on this machine leaves a lot of spatter but with the mix gas and .024 wire you can easily handle 1/4" material. I havent tried thicker as we have bigger machines for that, but we never at full heat on it. The 'little' machines are fun and a great way to learn...

I will make one suggestion though...try to plug into a 20amp breaker if you have one. Before I upgraded my panel I used to spend a lot of time in the dark in the garage...

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
To be honest can't comment on a absa argon procedure work for a pipeline company. However we are cwb certified and our cwb gmaw procedure is approved for argon actually was recommended by our rep when we got certified. Also to which I am the supervisor for the program. There's only so much penetration you can get on a b pressure weld gas will not make the difference. Now on plate to plate if your welding oily or painted material I don't care what you use it's not going to be a sound weld and if your cwb certified I hope they don't catch you doing it. Now I don't now alot about much but welding I do know been doin it for 20 yrs I know what works not what the Internet tells me:beer:

I would love to see that procedure...can you post the procedure page?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will make one suggestion though...try to plug into a 20amp breaker if you have one. Before I upgraded my panel I used to spend a lot of time in the dark in the garage...

That is great advise, as you say, if you have a 15 amp breaker and you turn up one of those small machines you will pop your breaker in just a few seconds.

I havn't used a 110 volt machine in years, we usually kept them around for muffler and body work, went up to the Millermatic 250 for anything bigger.

GPsnownut

Reaction score
Use Lincoln .030 NR211MP flux core wire with no shielding gas, set your polarity to electrode (-) fine tune your setting until it runs nice, you will be able to weld up to 5/16" material, without having to clean material prior to welding.
Solid wire & shielding gas with this machine, use a .25 wire, but will only be good for thinner material up to 20 gauge, also you will have to make sure material is pretty clean prior to welding with solid wire.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
using a small machine on 3/8 or thicker can be done just need too do multi passes and a different prep ... i have done it with a lincon 100 ... that machine rocks for a 110 and as for a breaker mine are 15 amp and never blew one yet... but the buzz box that is on 220 blow it all the time can not run more then 6" of 1/8, it is good for tacking ... good thing i have my portable for that stuff

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Soooo you've tried to reg a ABSA op using a "EasyMig 140" ?

Bwahahaha....no...But thanks for the morning laugh, that was awesome...

Funny thing though...after I read this I did look at our procedures, and it does not list the machine at all, just the wire size, and shielding gas, so I guess in theory you 'could' use one, but not too often we work with anything that light...There is some 0.083 gas line out there, but we 'stick' it in the field, no shop work on that stuff.

Still snickerin here...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same welder. Still learning its setup. It def does not like the thicker wire. Tried 0.030 and 0.035 in it and didnt get the penetration like I did with my old blue point welder. I am going to go back to 0.025. Seemed to work alot better. I sure miss my old welder. Nice little digital setup with a mig/stick combo. Decided to sell it as I wasnt using it.

Top Bottom