One for the professional Welders

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same welder. Still learning its setup. It def does not like the thicker wire. Tried 0.030 and 0.035 in it and didnt get the penetration like I did with my old blue point welder. I am going to go back to 0.025. Seemed to work alot better. I sure miss my old welder. Nice little digital setup with a mig/stick combo. Decided to sell it as I wasnt using it.

Well, I figured I would start off with this welder and get the swing of it, and if I'm getting a lot of use out of it, maybe in a year or two sell it and upgrade to a bigger one. I think I am going to save up and get a small plasma cutter next. I love the one we have at work, I haven't used the oxy/acetelyne torch for a long time, the cut is so clean from the plasma cutter :)

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I figured I would start off with this welder and get the swing of it, and if I'm getting a lot of use out of it, maybe in a year or two sell it and upgrade to a bigger one. I think I am going to save up and get a small plasma cutter next. I love the one we have at work, I haven't used the oxy/acetelyne torch for a long time, the cut is so clean from the plasma cutter :)

I hear you, I now have a Millermatic 251 and Hypertherm Powermax 1000 in my shop at home. I love them both, they along with my Trailblazer 301 fullfill all my welding needs at this time.

Plasmas are great, the biggest thing I found was having it set up on a cart always plugged in and ready to go, then I use it allot, when I used to wrap it up and put it away I would get lazy and grab the torches for many jobs. Not anymore. The thing is you can never eliminate the torches, heating, preheating suck with a plasma :eek:

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you, I now have a Millermatic 251 and Hypertherm Powermax 1000 in my shop at home. I love them both, they along with my Trailblazer 301 fullfill all my welding needs at this time.

Plasmas are great, the biggest thing I found was having it set up on a cart always plugged in and ready to go, then I use it allot, when I used to wrap it up and put it away I would get lazy and grab the torches for many jobs. Not anymore. The thing is you can never eliminate the torches, heating, preheating suck with a plasma :eek:

HA! yeah, the plasma preheat doesnt work so good, for sure. :d

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man Woody you like controversy! First you stir up the site with your generator/transfer switch query, now you're trying to get the welders on the site to mix it up. When will the madness end?!?!?!?!?!:d:d

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bwahahaha....no...But thanks for the morning laugh, that was awesome...

Funny thing though...after I read this I did look at our procedures, and it does not list the machine at all, just the wire size, and shielding gas, so I guess in theory you 'could' use one, but not too often we work with anything that light...There is some 0.083 gas line out there, but we 'stick' it in the field, no shop work on that stuff.

Still snickerin here...

All the procedures I dealt with only goto .125 wall but welding on pipe while its in service is a different game all together.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is kind of different to weld on live pipe but not really you just dont want to much penatration....lol i have done that a few times as well....

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man Woody you like controversy! First you stir up the site with your generator/transfer switch query, now you're trying to get the welders on the site to mix it up. When will the madness end?!?!?!?!?!:d:d

HA! No doubt! Lets see what other pot of turmoil and controversy can I start....The internal combustible motor, it's neither internal nor combustible...discuss :d

On a side note, its good get different ideas/point of views for major purchases, gives a guy some knowledge to take into the store with him, as to what to look for and what to stay away from. Also, when the power goes out, not to weld on a power line with a portable generator, or something to that effect :d :beer:

Top Bottom