Jasper is on fire!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Feel so bad for the people here and the impact this will be to the small iconic town. The process once the fires are all out, for the homeowners and business owners will take several months to even get the cleanups completed. My company was on many of the Fires in Fort Mac, Slave Lake and we have already been given notice for 2 weeks for jasper to set up an area to stay and stage for what we do as we are the next step once the fires are all out and its safe. These are all old structures and are most likely asbestos, lead, arsenic, and several other hazardous substances. The other big issue is this is in a Federal National Park so there are so many additional scenario's here, August through to the winter will be some interesting months ahead. The parks wont let you dispose any of the waste in local dumps and neither will Hinton or Edson. Waste will probably have to go to Cynthia or Drayton Valley. This will be an expensive cleanup for insurers.

Watched Danielle Smith tonight on the news, she could hardly make her speech, she does care a lot. Jasper was an iconic town in Alberta.

Step one is get the fire out, When I was at Ft Mac during the fires , the toxic off gassing from the homes that burn is a huge concern, Now once it gets disturbed during clean up it off gases again. All the toxic materials need to be dealt with. Hundreds of fridges, freezers etc also. It will take years to deal with some of it.
Add Parks Canada to the red tape..

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of work to be done sounds like. Work is good.
Work, work, money money

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True story. We do insurance work so I could be up there painting for a while if I wanted.

See there you go. Youll get to spend a bunch of time there rebuilding. It will be great again

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Proudly managed by Unesco.. that blue symbol looks familiar

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
hoping my company bids some rebuild work out there. I wouldn't mind a mountain project.
CN has a huge presence in town. I'm surprised we haven't been doing stuff for them already.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is your field of expertise…?

Besides spreading BRP propaganda…..

haha well that is my primary occupation. On the side i own a Surveying/Engineering company we specialize in Engineering/design surveys, construction layouts, topographic mapping, Drone surveys and mapping, Lidar surveys 3D scanning, residential surveys, subdivisions, all sorts of stuff. We also have Registered Land surveyors on staff and some with their Canada Lands Surveying degree which allows us to perform work in National Parks and any other land that is owned by the Canadian government. An important step after a total loss like this is ensuring that the Park and Lot monuments that govern the boundaries of the lots in town are surveyed, preserved or re-established before the Heavy equipment comes in and starts levelling everything because once they are lost it is very hard to re establish accurately the lots without collecting the data ahead of time. Especially when the original surveying for the town was completed in the early 1900s there is already not much to go off. Once it becomes time that the rebuild starts there will be many property lines to mark, houses to layout, commercial buildings, engineering surveys for design of new facilities. We shall see! Will really depend how much is awarded to our customers and if i can land the reestablishment contract. At least i could justify my fuel going to valemount if we were working close by LOL

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
haha well that is my primary occupation. On the side i own a Surveying/Engineering company we specialize in Engineering/design surveys, construction layouts, topographic mapping, Drone surveys and mapping, Lidar surveys 3D scanning, residential surveys, subdivisions, all sorts of stuff. We also have Registered Land surveyors on staff and some with their Canada Lands Surveying degree which allows us to perform work in National Parks and any other land that is owned by the Canadian government. An important step after a total loss like this is ensuring that the Park and Lot monuments that govern the boundaries of the lots in town are surveyed, preserved or re-established before the Heavy equipment comes in and starts levelling everything because once they are lost it is very hard to re establish accurately the lots without collecting the data ahead of time. Especially when the original surveying for the town was completed in the early 1900s there is already not much to go off. Once it becomes time that the rebuild starts there will be many property lines to mark, houses to layout, commercial buildings, engineering surveys for design of new facilities. We shall see! Will really depend how much is awarded to our customers and if i can land the reestablishment contract. At least i could justify my fuel going to valemount if we were working close by LOL
Pretty sure "I'm a surveyor" would have answered his question......

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jasper.jpg

Top Bottom