Jasper is on fire!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
definitely some good news but they are still saying currently 30-50 structural loss. and they're not completely out of the woods yet.
lots of help has been dispatched out, hopefully with the rain, and the help they can soak everything to the point that nothing further will burn.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_1851.png

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[ATTACHl ĺ=full]285668[/ATTACH]
Just read an article stating how it was all discussed in parliament in 2018. I guess they felt shoving pride down our throats was more worth the money. Probably also helps push there climate agenda. Kinda makes you wonder, would they intentionally let these areas burn? Or allow for the perfect conditions to develop for severe fires

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just read an article stating how it was all discussed in parliament in 2018. I guess they felt shoving pride down our throats was more worth the money. Probably also helps push there climate agenda. Kinda makes you wonder, would they intentionally let these areas burn?
They have certainly ignored the wildfire risk in Jasper but it fits the climate agenda to let it burn which justifies increasing taxation.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have certainly ignored the wildfire risk in Jasper but it fits the climate agenda to let it burn which justifies increasing taxation.
Nah. Just more of my paranoid and confused delusions

Outwest1

Reaction score
It's absolutely horrible what happened in jasper. For me mother nature did what was needed to regenerate new growth but at the same time its a failure on federal and the province governments. Don't pick up that stick and burn it dont cut that dead tree up that just fell and burn it or you will get a ticket. Yes takes one bad apple to spoil it I get that 100 % and that is todays society for the most part today cut down green trees and trash places if able. All levels want their cut and sadly jasper and the park got the short end of the stick due to useless goverment officials.Truly sad it had to happen to a very beautiful place but first responders are the brave ones trying to save it and 👍 up to them. I hope golden doesn't get it as well.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

UPDATE: 4:20 p.m.

While Jasper has suffered significant damage during the overnight wildfire that swept through the town, all "critical infrastructure" has been saved.

In a post to social media, Jasper National Park says Jasper's hospital, emergency services building, both elementary and junior/senior schools, activity centre and wastewater treatment plant were successfully protected during last night's fire fight.

"Structural fire protection units are still fighting fires within the town and continue to fight fires moving from one building to another," Jasper National Park says.

"Although more time is needed to complete a detailed damage assessment, it is clear that some homes and businesses have been lost.

"The most significant structural damage is concentrated on the west side of town, southwest of Miette Avenue. Firefighting efforts have prevented significant damage to much of the infrastructure in the east end of town. Our priority remains protecting structures that have not yet been impacted by fire."

Additionally, a number of bridges in the town and through the national park have been damaged, including the Moberly Bridge and the Old Fort Point Bridge.

Winds in Jasper whipped up to 100 km/h Wednesday, forcing the spread of the fires that were north and south of the town, causing their eventual merging.

"With today’s rain and cooler temperatures, fire activity is significantly subdued. However, it is important to note that the fire is still out of control and significant work remains before conditions are safe enough to allow for limited re-entry into the park," the park says in its recent update.

"Crews are taking advantage of today’s conditions to make progress on containing the fire and the community, before conditions return to hot and dry."

Canada Task Force 2 of the Canadian Armed Forces has now arrived in Jasper to assist in the response to the fire and with the town's eventual recovery.

Jasper National Park says they'll provide another update on the situation by 10 p.m. local time.

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Feel so bad for the people here and the impact this will be to the small iconic town. The process once the fires are all out, for the homeowners and business owners will take several months to even get the cleanups completed. My company was on many of the Fires in Fort Mac, Slave Lake and we have already been given notice for 2 weeks for jasper to set up an area to stay and stage for what we do as we are the next step once the fires are all out and its safe. These are all old structures and are most likely asbestos, lead, arsenic, and several other hazardous substances. The other big issue is this is in a Federal National Park so there are so many additional scenario's here, August through to the winter will be some interesting months ahead. The parks wont let you dispose any of the waste in local dumps and neither will Hinton or Edson. Waste will probably have to go to Cynthia or Drayton Valley. This will be an expensive cleanup for insurers.

Watched Danielle Smith tonight on the news, she could hardly make her speech, she does care a lot. Jasper was an iconic town in Alberta.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I also forgot to mention that even though many other structures that are still intact many that are within the proximate fire will have issues with smoke damage. Many will need gutted or extensive work to them. I was working a lot on other wildfires there is also something called neighboritos. "Well my neighbor is getting a new roof and his house gutted I should be too", this was a huge issue in fort mac and get us very busy for 3 years conducting special assessments and forensic wildfire sampling, that's an extensive job and takes countless hours and expensive sampling .

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
W
I also forgot to mention that even though many other structures that are still intact many that are within the proximate fire will have issues with smoke damage. Many will need gutted or extensive work to them. I was working a lot on other wildfires there is also something called neighboritos. "Well my neighbor is getting a new roof and his house gutted I should be too", this was a huge issue in fort mac and get us very busy for 3 years conducting special assessments and forensic wildfire sampling, that's an extensive job and takes countless hours and expensive sampling

Wow that’s pretty extensive . I had no idea . Thank you for that information

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
W

Wow that’s pretty extensive . I had no idea . Thank you for that information
Older houses/structures older than 1990, could have asbestos in many areas more typical in drywall joint compound, Plaster, ceiling texture, Sheet vinyl flooring, Vinyl floor tiles, wall or ceiling insulation if its vermiculite (99% chance in vermiculite in Alberta) Even in old shingles, window caulking, tar paper. We test the sites even if they are a pile of debris and believe me If its there I will find it. We take samples of the char in many areas and have to test for not only asbestos, but lead if the structure is older and several other harmful substances, one is arsenic that typically shows up after a large structure loss.

Lead is in paint pre 80's and can be high, the waste needs to be handled and disposed under federal regulations.

If this is found within the debris field, or even in the proximate perimeter. The debris will require special procedures to clean up, a section 34 mechanical abatement is required. And we do work for the federal government in both parks and its more fun than doing work for Suncor in fort mac.

Top Bottom