If anyone has to ask about avy conditions on here...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The danger lies in who answers the question. What is their training and knowledge background? What is their experience. When was the last time they were out? Did they test the snowpack, or quickly scan the avy report?

Too many variables possible. I read the avy report several times a week, but would only have faith in replies to the question from a few well trained people. Then we do our own research when we get there.

:twocents:

I was gonna use the Like button but it is gone....oh my:mad::mad::mad:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, use all the tools that are available to you to make your educated decision, BUT this includes asking questions ! It even states this in the CAC bulletins.

Personally all this jumping down someones throat for asking for info, goes against why I post on this forum. We should all lighten up a bit:beer:

Knowledge is POWER and you get that knowledge from research and asking questions.

Remember "You control your own risk by choosing where, when and how you travel" Getting all the info you can is a great way to make those decisions

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good post Curtis...Glad that you are one of the more Knowledgeable people on here that doesn't get annoyed with "Stupid Questions". I always thought the only bad questions were the ones you didn't ask.

Anyone who gets annoyed with someone new or inexperienced in our sport should just ask themselves if you knew it all your first couple trips to the mountians...If you don't want to answer the questions asked or nicely point someone in the right direction just don't answer.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Wow, this thread has blown me away...

For all the great advice I have received here, I cant believe we are telling someone they are an idiot for asking avy questions...

Dont get me wrong, I get the reasons, and somewhat agree with the reason, but really...

We have assembled here a ton of people who are out riding these areas on a daily basis. Is CAC riding ALL these areas? Do they ride any? CAC is an extremely valuable tool for us all, but man I will always ask another rider what the conditions were like if he was just there, that to me is common sense...

I dont have tons of info to offer, but I will ALWAYS be willing to help a fellow rider asking a question. I would still steer them towards CAC but WOW cant believe the attitude here...

Thanks to those that ARE willing to help...

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, this thread has blown me away...

For all the great advice I have received here, I cant believe we are telling someone they are an idiot for asking avy questions...

Dont get me wrong, I get the reasons, and somewhat agree with the reason, but really...

We have assembled here a ton of people who are out riding these areas on a daily basis. Is CAC riding ALL these areas? Do they ride any? CAC is an extremely valuable tool for us all, but man I will always ask another rider what the conditions were like if he was just there, that to me is common sense...

I dont have tons of info to offer, but I will ALWAYS be willing to help a fellow rider asking a question. I would still steer them towards CAC but WOW cant believe the attitude here...

Thanks to those that ARE willing to help...

Well said :rolleyes::d:beer:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, use all the tools that are available to you to make your educated decision, BUT this includes asking questions ! It even states this in the CAC bulletins.

Personally all this jumping down someones throat for asking for info, goes against why I post on this forum. We should all lighten up a bit:beer:

Knowledge is POWER and you get that knowledge from research and asking questions.

Remember "You control your own risk by choosing where, when and how you travel" Getting all the info you can is a great way to make those decisions

I absolutely agree with yah curtis. It sure seems lately thou that buddy maxwell is jumpin down on lots of poeple. I think he needs to mellow out abit and rather than jumpin on people for askin questions offer some advice on conditions and what he has found as such.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol wha. im not jumpin on anyone. i didnt start this thread. i said the same thing others have said.

"asking questions doesnt do anyone any harm but best to get the information from local riders or avalanche experts closer to your date of departure. "

i said that..

by the way

if your relating this to the other avalanche issue then yes im jumping down throats big time.

check out my posts in the vmont updates. i always share my avalanche information. i can stop that just as easily

my information is your information as far as im concerned. how you ask it i really dont care because im not just giving it to one person.

im heading out this weekend go figure.....

i will post whatever i find AS USUAL. however its to be taken for what it is. my title does not have an AST2.0 behind it and i think the CAC information should be respected over mine.

Last edited:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It just has been comin across like it is bad to ask questions. I think it's great to ask questions. If i was heading to valemount to ride like iwill be at the end of febuary i'll watch the cac reports, check out info on here and also probably give curtis a holler the day before or something to get some GOOD first hand info. Because yes like others have said you have to be careful about what info you take depending on where the person got there info and there training.

One thing i ask lots of people is simple when was the last time they dug a snow pit to check the snow layers and conditions themselves.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Threads like this keep confirming to me that the newer sleds are going to ruin the backcountry for the real riders. It used to be that you learned first hand what the snow can do to you. Back when a 136 track was big. Now new riders buy 162 tracked 1000 cc engines and go off advice from a forum. The snow hasnt changed!!! it's the idiots that can afford to ride. 10 years ago you had to have first hand knowledge and about 20 grand and a huge passion to break trail into the remote spots, now any moron can download something on their GPS and ride right into crazyville. There is no start small and work up now its start big and commit suicide. Makes wonder if we should just let Darwins law work its magic so that the backcountry can go back to the few that respect it enough. The only way i can figure out to drill it into the new riders with way more sled than they can ever use is to make a dedicated avy chute with sno makers and have it go off twice a day and you have to do the scooby slide before we give you the keys to your new sled.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Glen

Easy on Maxwell, he is a GREAT supporter and ambassador to our sport and we are lucky to have people like him around.

When you and I post we are representing more than ourselves. We must mind our P&Qs and hold back at times, where a member of public can be a bit more harsh and honest, BUT if you read his post, he was an advocate for questions and even offered some good advice to time the questions appropriately, just maybe didnt surgar coat it.

Last edited:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Threads like this keep confirming to me that the newer sleds are going to ruin the backcountry for the real riders. It used to be that you learned first hand what the snow can do to you. Back when a 136 track was big. Now new riders buy 162 tracked 1000 cc engines and go off advice from a forum. The snow hasnt changed!!! it's the idiots that can afford to ride. 10 years ago you had to have first hand knowledge and about 20 grand and a huge passion to break trail into the remote spots, now any moron can download something on their GPS and ride right into crazyville. There is no start small and work up now its start big and commit suicide. Makes wonder if we should just let Darwins law work its magic so that the backcountry can go back to the few that respect it enough. The only way i can figure out to drill it into the new riders with way more sled than they can ever use is to make a dedicated avy chute with sno makers and have it go off twice a day and you have to do the scooby slide before we give you the keys to your new sled.

I do agree that the respect for the mountain was learned over time for many of us. But we have to face it that people are buying these sleds now and we as fellow sledders need to help out with the education part of it or we all lose

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LOL:eek:

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the very least, someone asking questions is showing an awareness of avalanche danger, which is an improvement over the situation 5 years ago when not many sledders even bothered. Much of the bad press about sledders has been due to not enough riders taking the avalanche issue seriously enough and not bothering to learn. Let's encourage questions, not discourage them. There are new people all the time joining the sport, so when they ask, those in the know can help to educate and at the same time point the direction to the avalanche bulletins, avalanche courses, etc. It can only help the sport if more people ask questions and get educated. We all started as beginners.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Glen

Easy on Maxwell, he is a GREAT supporter and ambassador to our sport and we are lucky to have people like him around.

When you and I post we are representing more than ourselves. We must mind our P&Qs and hold back at times, where a member of public can be a bit more harsh and honest, BUT if you read his post, he was an advocate for questions and even offered some good advice to time the questions appropriately, just maybe didnt surgar coat it.

I absolutely agree that he is a good guy and posts lots of good info. I have nothing against him whatsoever, lookin forward to seein you all at MM4. He's just been seemin owly.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, I have no problem with answering questions if I know what I'm talking about. God knows I've asked my share, but not before trying to find the answer on my own. If there is a website that gives me accurate info based on professional research and knowledge, I'm going there first. I know I'd miss out on the wonderfully amusing S/M banter but at least I won't have hurt feelings:d:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I absolutely agree that he is a total d!ck and he rides the short bus. I have nothing good to say about him whatsoever, lookin forward to knocking him out at MM4.....ps. I heard he likes to pick up the fat chicks in Valemont.

Yeah, I totally agree with this post ^^^^ Glen, that Maxwell is a douchecanoe.

Buy a yamaha and screw everyone else, that way if you get caught in an avalanche it will float to the top because they are lightest sleds made. They feel like you are riding helium after smoking a big fatty.

ps. I love Snowest.

What was this thread about? D'oh, not supposed to ask questions, my bad.

Top Bottom