Anyone else off road in Jeeps or Trucks?

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at a 2005 rubicon on Thursday. Anything in particular I should be looking for? Dana 44s with arb lockers on 35's with a 3.5" bilstein lift. 130000km.

ARB lockers are not stock for the rubicon. They have been switched out. You’ll be able to engage them in any range. Other then that there is not much Just check the frame really good before the rear hump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ARB lockers are not stock for the rubicon. They have been switched out. You’ll be able to engage them in any range. Other then that there is not much Just check the frame really good before the rear hump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good catch the arb's were a different ad. This ad just says Dana 44s and lockers. I assuming stock. Find out Thursday I guess.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you wire switches or just jumper the the circuits
I have a diagram somewhere on the computer for different situations, the one I picked is any gear, 2 or 4 wheel drive less than 10 km/hr. Its was just a jumper wire to connect two terminals behind the center of the dash. I'll try a post it.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
I have a diagram somewhere on the computer for different situations, the one I picked is any gear, 2 or 4 wheel drive less than 10 km/hr. Its was just a jumper wire to connect two terminals behind the center of the dash. I'll try a post it.

I did a similar on my jk rubicon just a jumper switch to ground off the main locker wire so I can lock whatever I want

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got home from my BC run. 3215.5km from my door step near Gibbons Alberta back to my door step.
Left on Saturday July 13. We traveled from Edmonton south. We did the Koko Claims trail between Elkford and Lussiure.
We camped along the river before the provincial park. Found some nice crown land camping. Koko claims was pretty cool. I'd do that again.

Day 2, we ran over the Grey Creek pass. I didn't care too much for it. Long. Hot dusty and bumpy. Guess I had higher expectations. But it's off the bucket list. Learned the gard way at the ferry. Only 1 jerry can allowed per vehicle. I had two 10Ls. Had to put one in another vehicle without. I guess I should have looked into the Regs a little bit 1st. Oh well. Anyone know why? I'm baffled as to how that makes a difference? It's the same amount of fuel on that boat, what's it matter if I have two 10Ls or one 20L?
Then we ran up to Lavina.
On our way up the one JLU lost their brakes. So we left it off to the side mid way up. He jumped in with another. We made the top around sundown. Got our photos and headed down. The JLU used his hill assist going down. (Looked at it the next day. And found the vacuum line to the brake booster was loose).
And we lost the Taco on the way down. Blew his belt. The tensioner idler failed.
Towed him into the Glacier campground by Duncan lake.
Dad was saying 2 nights ago Lavina got hit with ligtening and is now on fire.

Day 3.
Ran into Nelson. Got parts. And spent most of the day replacing the tensioner. Thought we were good. Stopped at Cooper creek for ice. And the taco blew a front seal. Game over for him. Luckily my parents are in Ainsworth and helped get his truck to Nelson. The rest of us carried on. We stopped at the Marblehead Mine for some quick pictures. And proceeded up Rady creek. We're we set up camp at 7322ft. Next to some snow. The minerals up there are red. Looked like blood or ATF in the snow.
Rady is a must do. I will be back. Tons of unexplored trails that i want to go down. See where they go.

Day 4.
We stopped at Halcyon hot springs for a shower and a swim. Was a nice little break. And then crossed the needles ferry to Edgewood. And set up camp on the beach in Renata.

Day 5.
We took the trail from Renata to the rail trail it pops out on the East side of the bulldog tunnel. (The sign says Brooklyn). We traveled east to the 1st trussle bridge for some photos. Then turned around and went back through the Bulldog tunnel and exited on the Paulson.
Fueled at Christina Lake and headed west down highway 3 to Whipsaw. Where we set up camp 14kms up the trail head.

Day 6.
We ran the Whipsaw. To Lodestone lake.
I tried some of the challenges. I have 33s and no lockers (open diffs). So needless to say. I did not make those obstacles. Like the others did. Still very cool to see and try. Whipsaw is challenging. It was a ton of fun.

Day 7.
Back to Edmonton. Once we exited whipsaw. The TJ got a bit of the death wobble. Track bar bushing failed. Luckily the Lordco in Princeton had one. Changed it out and away we went.
Stopped at Mt. Robson with what was left of our group for a final picture. And continued home.

1000007032.jpg
1000007067.jpg
1000007050.jpg
1000007181.jpg
1000007259.jpg
1000007428.jpg
1000007454.jpg
1000007467.jpg
1000007495.jpg

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

on Saturday July 13th, 2024. we started on our journey. our epic BC wheeling Trip.
unfortunately on July 12th. a province wide fire ban was implemented. but we were still allowed to explore the bush. and we could have a propane fire pit. Just not wood.

6 of us met in Leduc that morning and traveled to Calgary. where we picked up two others. then over to the crows nest and up to Elkford. where we meet our 9th guy. Cody and his bucking bronco.

the 9 of us went over Koko claims. which I a snowmobile trail in the winter. there was some cool loose shale rock climbs. I can't remember how long it took us. wasn't bad tho. one steep down hill my cooler flipped off the passenger seat upside-down onto the floor.

I'd say Koko is fairly mild. stock friendly. I would definitely do it again.

we had set up came just off the White Swan FRS on just east of the provincial park, right on the river. what a beautiful spot.

day 2 will be posted next. stay tuned for that

thanks for watching.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sunday, July 14th, 2024.
we left our camp and headed west towards highway 93. the original plan was to stop at Lussier hot springs. but due to high water damage, it is fenced and signed stating closed. so we stayed out.

just before the highway we meet Don. our 10th rig.
(8 jeeps, 1 taco, 1 bronco).

we headed for Kimberly then onto the Grey Creek Pass.

I was a little disappointed in the grey creek pass. it really is just a dirt road. no challenging hills. but, now I know.

once on the other side we headed for the ferry from Crawford Bay to Balfour.
and here was another learning. I disagree with it, but rules is rules no matter how dumb.
only 1 jerry can allowed per vehicle. up to 25Ls. can't have two 10L cans. only 1. so we had to get creative to transport our overpriced Rotopax cans across the boat.
It's weird the car in front of me can take my can, as long as they don't have one. but I can't have 2? the same amount of fuel is being transported on the boat. oh well live and learn.
also only 1 propane tank per vehicle is allowed. so if you have a holiday trailer with two tanks, you'll have to hide one.

once on the other shore of Kootenay Lake, we headed North to Kaslo. passing my Dad who came up to the highway in Ainsworth to wave as I went by. (I felt bad for not stopping).

after we fueled up. we headed for Lavina.
we were running behind and I was still hoping to camp at the top.

on the way up Lavina, Don lost his brakes. had to ditch his jeep in the trees. and he jumped in with Kurt.

we decided we'd camp and Glacier Creek on Duncan lake. we took in the views just before sunset, and headed down.

it was dark when we set up camp. Cohens Tacoma blew the serpentine belt and tensioner idler on the way down. so he was towed into camp.

we lucked out. I found out a few days later, that Lavina and Glacier Creek were on fire due to lightning strikes.

stay tuned for part 3/day 3. to be uploaded next.

thanks for watching

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Monday July 15, 2024

Cohen and myself headed to Nelson in the morning to get parts.

I was inreaching with my Dad looking for parts. once we hit Kaslo, I called Dad. he was near the ferry dock heading to Nelson to pick up the parts we needed. so he turned around and we continued in for the parts

Cody got Don's jeep fixed while we were gone.

once we returned we were probably wrenching til around 2 that afternoon to get the Tacoma running.

patted ourselves on the back and into the Duncan lake for a swim.

then off to Marblehead quarry.

we stopped at Cooper creek for ice. and found the Tacoma blew its front seal. game over for Cohen. inreached me Dad, who help get it towed to Nelson.

and the remaining 9 of us continued.

we stopped at Marblehead for some pictures. then up to Rady.

which had to be by far. my favorite. tons of steep switch backs and unreal views. inloved it. I want to go back and see more.

we camped at 7,322ft that night next to some pools up there. such a cool experience.

next morning took our pictures and explored on foot a bit. and headed down.

could easily spend a weekend up Rady.

thanks for watching.

enjoy.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

welcome back.
so part 4 has both days 4 and 5.
Tuesday July 16th we left Rady. and went for a dip at Halcyon Hotsprings. then took the Needles cable ferry to Edgewood and camped at Renata.
Wednesday July 17th, we made the windy climb up to the Rail trail
due to time. we only hit one tressle bridge just east of the Bulldog tunnel. then back tracked through the tunnel. popped out at Paulson and made our way to Princeton. heading to Whipsaw.

enjoy.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last video from our trip.
Whipsaw.

finally. took long enough.
the last video of our week long offroading saga
Thursday July 17th.
we did the whipsaw trail. we'll, most of it.
I learned that I need lockers and better gearing. (no I don't want to learn to drive better). lol.
most obstacles I went around.
but still had a blast.
we camped that night at Lodestone lake.
and in the Morning of the 18th. we headed home.
in Princeton we had to replace the track bar in the TJ, as it developed a wee little wobble.

thanks again to the folks that booked holidays or just took that week away from their day to day lives to come out and join me on this epic week long adventure.

maybe make it a yearly thing???? thoughts????
would have to change the route up a bit.

thanks for watching. later.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like Lavina was lost to a fire.
Too bad.
Was a pretty good view of both Kootenay Lake and Duncan Lake from up there.
Sounds like the fire towers foundation is still standing.

I'm assuming the offroad club will rebuild? As well as keep that trail open still.

Some Pictures from 2023 and July 14, 2024 (we were probably the last group to see it before this fire).

1000007812.jpg
1000007814.jpg
1000007816.jpg
1000007818.jpg
1000007820.jpg
1000007822.jpg
1000007824.jpg
1000007826.jpg
1000007841.jpg

Top Bottom