would you be happy with more check stops at the trail head?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The Fish and Wildlife Officer said that 1/2 the guys didn't know they were riding a stolen sled. I think that is BS. How often does a guy accidentally buy a stolen sled then doesn't register it?

how many guys don't ever even register their machines? thats the real question

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Fish and Wildlife Officer said that 1/2 the guys didn't know they were riding a stolen sled. I think that is BS. How often does a guy accidentally buy a stolen sled then doesn't register it?

I have had many sleds through the years (8ish in the past 10 years) and I have never registered a sled EVER. SO if one was stolen I would be very surprised to hear that.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we might not have much choice in this question. I am certain there were a lot of raised eyebrows at the Revy detachment when they found 14% of the sleds in the avy were stolen. That is an unreal number and it is time for the cops to do something about it.

Hard to believe that one in 7 guys at the warm up shelter are riding stolen sleds
Yeah well maybe the detachment wouldn't be so surprised if they actually investigated stolen property once in awhile. If they did that, maybe it wouldn't be required for them to be at the trailheads.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no to the checkstop on the hills or trails that is annoying!!! do a check stop when people are leaving the staging area way better than on the hill alberta was annoying for that i forgot my insuranace papers went to ride castle mtn couldnt ride cause I didnt have my insurance! do a check after everyone has enjoyed there ride!

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no to the checkstop on the hills or trails that is annoying!!! do a check stop when people are leaving the staging area way better than on the hill alberta was annoying for that i forgot my insuranace papers went to ride castle mtn couldnt ride cause I didnt have my insurance! do a check after everyone has enjoyed there ride!

Seems like a good idea to me

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

Works for me too.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I say bring it on as well, as long as its quick, as i have nothing to hide but as TG mentioned i'm fully insured but don't run a plate.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thats the other thing. like vehicles i believe that your insurance is void if the vehicle is not registered.
unless it was being stored and had storage ins. on it.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember a Fish and Wildlife guy telling me he finds 4-5 stolen sleds per year by doing check stops at Cataract Creek and Etherington staging areas. I never realized how many stolen sleds there were until I had one stolen.

Last night, I found out that 7 of the 50 sleds buried in Revy were stolen sleds and they are sitting in the Revy RCMP inpound lot. Maybe it is time for law enforcement to get serious about stolen sleds. If the thieves can't ride any of the popular areas, then maybe they won't steal my sleds.

Should we be asking the cops for more trailhead check stops? If it gets my sled back, I would be OK with having them look at my sleds 3-4 times a year.
Did you have insurance?

All4Traction

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you register your sled? It cost like $45?

I don't hesitate to ins/reg my sled, its just like any of my on-road vehicles. It cost me less than $275 total (Reg. and liability/theft/fire), I think its a good piece of mind, especially when our sleds are worth more than most peoples vehicles.

I think check-stops near the head of the trail are a good idea. Keeps the idiots out and leaves more fresh snow for me :Happy4:

You're just adding to the problem of people stealing sleds if you don't check that you're not buying a stolen sled. Its just feeding the fire that burns us :nono:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the other thing. like vehicles i believe that your insurance is void if the vehicle is not registered.
unless it was being stored and had storage ins. on it.
you don't need registration to have valid insurance, you need valid insurance to get registration.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with the idea of checking the reg and insurance after the day afterall how many trucks and sleds are stolen out of the staging areas ... get them while they are coming out not wrecking any honest peoples day but maybe wrecking a crooks day

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all I ask is to not make me run the ugly alberta plate on my polished tunnel, getting a ticket for pulling it out of my back pack would suck:nono:

dumbassracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if you build a mod with no numbers? It costs an arm and a leg to get VIN numbers put on in BC, and they have to stamp it onto your nice, new, pretty, powder coated tunnel.. The issue is if they would investigate the thefts when they occur, then they might catch some of these people. But phoning in a report and having a cop come by two days later, WTF good is that??
I notice most of the guys on here are from Alberta. I ride all over BC and I have never been stopped once, so why is it just you guys getting stopped? Maybe there is a reason.. I don't know the answer to these questions, but when a guy spends $50,000 building a mod, and they want your first born to put a VIN on it, its bull $h!t.
It's all a money grab, that is all it is. Right down to DOT checks, DUI checks... It's all a money grab

PI$$ED OFF IN BC

All4Traction

Reaction score
You'll spend $50k building a mod sled, but you wont spend a few bucks getting a VIN #? How much they charge in BC for that? I don't recall it costing me much, or anything to put a VIN on a home built trailer.

I could see insuring a MOD being a PITA, cause the insurance company would laugh when you say its worth $50k; but... it is the law..

Ive been checked once in BC By Conservation Officers at Forster Creek.

If you're worried about showing your plate, just zip tie it to your backpack or something. I leave mine in my bag, but I know Ill never get checked in the areas that I go.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if you build a mod with no numbers? It costs an arm and a leg to get VIN numbers put on in BC, and they have to stamp it onto your nice, new, pretty, powder coated tunnel.. The issue is if they would investigate the thefts when they occur, then they might catch some of these people. But phoning in a report and having a cop come by two days later, WTF good is that??
I notice most of the guys on here are from Alberta. I ride all over BC and I have never been stopped once, so why is it just you guys getting stopped? Maybe there is a reason.. I don't know the answer to these questions, but when a guy spends $50,000 building a mod, and they want your first born to put a VIN on it, its bull $h!t.
It's all a money grab, that is all it is. Right down to DOT checks, DUI checks... It's all a money grab

PI$$ED OFF IN BC

They only get your money if you break the rules.......

Top Bottom