sank sled

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I sank my sled last night at a local lake.
When we finnaly got it out we pulled the airbox and plugs and pulled it over and over and then we got it going.
Anything I should do to prevent future problems? :beer:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you can but run it as much as possible.I'd fog the crap out of it. Spray fog in the carbs till it is smoking lots.
Any pics?:eek:

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Take every single electrical connection apart and blow out with air. Then put ample amounts of dyelectric grease on the connectors before you re-connect them.
Look foreward to replacing the crank soon if you don't split the cases. The sediment and crap builds up in the bearings and it becomes a time bomb. If you are keeping the sled for a long time it would be worth it to pull the motor and split the cases and clean it all out. friends have sunk a few sleds and it usually bites back later in the season or the next season. Good luck

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good call cause selkirk isn't a cheep taxi if you ride in revy.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully it was the cat and not the doo. Just looking at your profile and in your fleet you own a seadoo. Why the sled when you own a seadoo?:nono:
because water skipping is a thrill man....surprised that anyone has to ask why. why not? :cool:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had this happen many times. one machine was under most of the day.

get lots of 2 stroke oil and put some down the cyl holes and let it sit for a few mins and pull it over so it will work its way into the crankcase and coat the cylinder walls.

then run the sled up to temperature and hold the oil injection pump wide open.

run it up to temperature a few times to get rid of any moisture in the engine.

that is the main concern right away.

change the chaincase oil and expect your any bearings even the sealed ones to fail in the near future.

make sure and lubricate any grease fittings like mentioned to push out water

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
because water skipping is a thrill man....surprised that anyone has to ask why. why not? :cool:

Why not, because the risk is greater then the reward, buy a boat and maybe we wont see this guy at the bottom of the ridge in revy wondering how he going to get his pile out cause the motor went. Maybe it is a case of more money then brains.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't want to here some of the replys though haha Hopefully it will be ok and the crank wont seize.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
I think every sledder has thought about doing it. Only a few have the cajones or lack of common sense to try it. I tried it and made it across a lake three times. My friends not so lucky. Forgetting to tape off the hood vents and blowing a belt in the middle of a lake sucks! Was pretty funny sledding past the guy while he was bobbing with a life jacket and helmet on.

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I sank my sled last night at a local lake.
When we finnaly got it out we pulled the airbox and plugs and pulled it over and over and then we got it going.
Anything I should do to prevent future problems? :beer:
Next time get some video footage for the rest of us.;)

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Do what Maxwell said and you will be fine, dont listen to these other guys. water skipping is a blast and i do it any chance i get. You will have no future issues as long as you take care of the water asap. Cheers.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I siphoned all the gas out, drained the chaincase oil,greased all the nipples and poured some oil down the plug holes and pulled a bunch of times.
I haven't had time to do anything else.
Ah at least it was my old spare sled '98 summitx
Anyone want a killer deal:d:beer:

ridindirtym3

Reaction score
Buddy of mine did the same thing. Took similar precautions after it happened and the sled (pro-x 600) ran great all winter. Following summer went to fire it up and the crank bearings were seized solid...haha. Old lady was right pissed.

Top Bottom