One for the professional Welders

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Lincoln EasyMig 140 a couple of months ago, and I was setting it up today and my question is this: it says for welding metal 1/4"up to 3/8" to use the Flux Core, I have the argon for the Solid Wire, but do I use the argon for the Flux Core wire as well? I haven't used Flux Core before just the solid wire. Thanks in advance.
:beer: :)

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't use flux core if your set up with gas, just adjust your heat and wire speed down acordingly and you will be way happier with your welding

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Lincoln EasyMig 140 a couple of months ago, and I was setting it up today and my question is this: it says for welding metal 1/4"up to 3/8" to use the Flux Core, I have the argon for the Solid Wire, but do I use the argon for the Flux Core wire as well? I haven't used Flux Core before just the solid wire. Thanks in advance.
:beer: :)

The flux core they are referring to is an open arc wire which does not require gas. The down side is there will be allot of splatter and if I remember correctly you will also have to change the polarity of the machine.

The previous advise is the best, stick with the ER70-S6 solid wire and adjust your settings accordingly. You may be best to use an .030 wire for that thickness of material, .035 if your machine can handle it.

ps, for the solid wire you should use either CO2 or a CO2/argon mix. Strait Argon is a no-no.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's 3 processes co2. Blueshield. Or argon has nothing to do with penetration. Co2 is cheapest with most splatter rougher arc. Argon is more expensive smoother arc less splatter. Blueshield is a mix of the 2. The gas has nothing to do with penetration

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Haha your the boss :beer:

Good article here explaining the different gases and how each has different levels of penertration...

Contrary to your belief, the gas is a major contributor to weld penetration...Many north american manufacturing facilities use pure CO2 not because it is cheap, but because it will penetrate better than a Co2 /Argon mix. This way they can often skip a step in the metal prep, as it will burn right through the mill oil on tubulars.

The mix however will burn hotter and you can gain speed, but it needs to be cleaner and of course costs more...We use pure CO2 for used materials, painted or oily as it will burn right through.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's 3 processes co2. Blueshield. Or argon has nothing to do with penetration. Co2 is cheapest with most splatter rougher arc. Argon is more expensive smoother arc less splatter. Blueshield is a mix of the 2. The gas has nothing to do with penetration

Sorry, your very wrong there. CO2 gives you a very sharp narrow penetration, Argon gives you a very flat low penetration, the reason the two are mixed is to vary the penetration curve to suit the applications.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be honest can't comment on a absa argon procedure work for a pipeline company. However we are cwb certified and our cwb gmaw procedure is approved for argon actually was recommended by our rep when we got certified. Also to which I am the supervisor for the program. There's only so much penetration you can get on a b pressure weld gas will not make the difference. Now on plate to plate if your welding oily or painted material I don't care what you use it's not going to be a sound weld and if your cwb certified I hope they don't catch you doing it. Now I don't now alot about much but welding I do know been doin it for 20 yrs I know what works not what the Internet tells me:beer:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

By the way, Blueshield is a brand name from Air Liquide, it has nothing to do with the actually mix.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The flux core they are referring to is an open arc wire which does not require gas. The down side is there will be allot of splatter and if I remember correctly you will also have to change the polarity of the machine.

The previous advise is the best, stick with the ER70-S6 solid wire and adjust your settings accordingly. You may be best to use an .030 wire for that thickness of material, .035 if your machine can handle it.

ps, for the solid wire you should use either CO2 or a CO2/argon mix. Strait Argon is a no-no.

I just grabbed my sheet here, it will take a .035 Flux Core, now if I get a .035 Solid Wire would that make any difference or does it have something to do with the voltage needed to make a good weld. (I always use the one at our shop and its always set up just turn the power and gas on and adjust for the material thickness and go, I've never set one up from scratch before :confused: ) Appreciate all the advice :)

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be honest can't comment on a absa argon procedure work for a pipeline company. However we are cwb certified and our cwb gmaw procedure is approved for argon actually was recommended by our rep when we got certified. Also to which I am the supervisor for the program. There's only so much penetration you can get on a b pressure weld gas will not make the difference. Now on plate to plate if your welding oily or painted material I don't care what you use it's not going to be a sound weld and if your cwb certified I hope they don't catch you doing it. Now I don't now alot about much but welding I do know been doin it for 20 yrs I know what works not what the Internet tells me:beer:

I would very much like to see a CWB certified procedure using Argon only on steel, it would have to be VERY specialized as I have never seen anything like that in all my years in the industry.

As for oily or painted material there wont be a CWB procedure, most likely a repair and maintenance scenario where CWB does not apply.

Top Bottom