Looking for Info on Tracks for my ATV

TroutnMuskieHunter

Reaction score
Hi Guys....I'm a newbie from Ontario, Canada. I own a 2008 Kawi 650 Brute Force and I'm considering buying some tracks for my quad for the snow season....actually, I'm tossing the idea around either buying a sled or tracks for the quad...

I do a lot of back woods trout fishing and I'd like to get into the back lakes to do some ice fishing..

Looking for some opinions/reviews from any of you that currently own tracks...The other thing I'm curious about is whether I would have to modify my Warn 5' plow and make it longer or will the front tracks not interfere with the plow when it's on an angle?

From what I've read, adding tracks to a quad will also add another 250 pounds of weight to it...true??....what would be the top speed if using tracks?

Thanks...

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out this thread in the "Mud Pit" ...
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f26/tracks-27755.html#post723587

But to answer some of your other questions:
1) Tracks & snowplow - Yes, you'll have to extend the forward tubes to plow with tracks. I extended mine 16 inches & I can rotate the blade to a 45 deg angle with no worries of any rubbing.

2) Weight - Yes, all 4 tracks will weight in at between 280 to 340 lbs depending on the brand you buy. But remember, you're removing your tires & wheels, so you have to factor in what they weigh, then subtract that number to see how much extra weight you actually added.

3) Top speed - speed is NOT a tracked ATV strong point. I've had mine up to about 39 mph (by the GPS) on hard pack, going slightly down hill. And I wouldn't want to run at that speed for very long distances. I average between 9 and 15 mph in the snow.

A couple others things to consider ... fuel ... you'll use about twice as much fuel with tracks. Part of the reason is, you'll be in 4-wheel drive all the time. And sometimes in low. So you'll need to carry extra fuel. The longest trip I've made on tracks is 52 miles. It was in a lot of powder & I believe I used about 7 1/2 gals. (If I remember right). I average about 32 to 40 miles each ride & very seldom really need to add any, but I do. Better to carry it in the gas tank than in a gas can.

A tracked ATV doesn't have the track speed of a sled, so steep hill climbing isn't gonna work either.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you should have a good winch & shovel.

Gunny has given you some factual/actual high time track user advice, with no BS.

Attachments

• P3060042.jpg
    P3060042.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 44
  • P3060043.jpg
    P3060043.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 42
  • P3060010.jpg
    P3060010.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 43

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you should have a good winch & shovel.

Gunny has given you some factual/actual high time track user advice, with no BS.

THAT'S FACT JACK !!!!! ... They can save the day !!! :sadbanana:

Top Bottom