How did we ever survive.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a few, I am not even that old but I did most of my growin up in the 90's on a farm and there were all kinds of unsafe things to do!

My brother one time dragged me on a tire tube behind our trike in the middle of summer in our pasture, I fell into the middle of it, face first, while my brother just kept going without noticing and drug me into a thistle patch before he finally noticed.. think I was about 5?

My Dad taught me to shoot a 22 when I was 5

Jumping and playing in hay bales

We had a couple riding mowers and whenever my cousins came over, to keep us entertained and get the acreage mowed, my Dad would tell us to go have lawn mower races around the farm while they partied.

My Dad drank and drove everywhere with me, never put me in a car seat, one time he even got a DUI and cops and to take me to a relatives while they threw him in the drunk tank.

Used to jump on the back of our donkey, Cheeko for funsies once in a while and hang on for dear life..anythin that got on his back, didn't make it off without a few bruises.

Rode my horse everywhere by myself, one time, I got shot at by hunters thinkin it was perhaps a deer moving along int he woods?!

Dad bought me my first quad when I was 12ish.. never bought me a helmet though... told me to go and giver.. crashed it in the ditch into a tree my first ride out by myself..

Hmmm.. well guarantee there is tons more but that's all I got for now

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO

this is an awsome thread!! Us farm kids could do anything we wanted as long as we were not watching tv..... only had 1 channel anyway lol.

Homemade shot gun out of pipe fittings a nail and a hammer. Man was that loud when it exploded!! My hand hurt for a month but never told the parents or my a$$ would have hurt more!

Had a buddy get stuck in the bales with his jacket slipped up over his face he was a little bluish by the time i ran back to the house to get his dad, ah good times. he was fine and we got our spankin and went back out there the next day!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are good. Real good, I didn't grow up on a farm, but did plenty of work on one and lived pretty rural, so I've encountred a few of these scenes before...

-I managed to roll a riding lawnmower. Straight back. I managed to get out from underneath it but put a hole in the block. That didn't go over well, and I was forced to push the rest of the lawn, for the remainder of the time I lived there. This is embarassing. :eek:

-BB gun wars. Not very smart, and I had the worst gun of the batch. BUddies older brother had a slick one with a scope, he inflicted more pain than most.

-Learning to drive stick in a friends field. Car had no brakes. "Just downshift, my old man got it here, you will figure it out". I took out several fence posts as I drifted past the turn I had intended to make.

-I've been in more car accidents than I care to admit. Several where I was in the car, several where I've been on foot/bicycle.

I must be on this planet for a reason, and that reason does not involve cars. :d

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do-nuts a yamaha 225 trike and doubling.. buddy falls off and run his head over.
From victor lake to grande cache, up the hill riding on your shoes behind pick up.

104 St. in grande cache is a long hill , riding skate boards down it , back in the day when the boards was all of a size 13 shoe. At high speeds you get the wobble , think ok ill bail, try to get close to the sidewalk , FAIL

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bumpering behind the family car, just before church. While my oldest brother was driving. Nothing like dress shoes.
Me and my sister taking turn in the dryer, to see who could go the longest.
Spending a week, Amour Alling one side of the tube. Before going to Whitemud Hills for the day.
Skateboarding off of the garage roof in Grade3, to be the coolest. (first trip to the hospital)
Numerous pellet gun wars, with no protection, or common sense.
Putting on Lacrosse goalie equipment, while older brothers team. Fired balls at me, while parents took pics, of all the good fun.
Trying to ride the Plastic tractor down the basement stairs.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Working on my grandparents farm growing up I look back and wonder how I didn't have any major accidents or break any bones.

-Had a hydraulic line blow a fitting off at mach chicken when I was about 12, didn't know anything about relieving the pressure before you start tinkering with hydraulics. Ended up being covered in about 15L of oil, sweet:rolleyes:

-Running and jumping on moving/working farm equipment
-Climbing in and around old sheds and barns
-Working under tractors and equipment being held up by just a jackall:nono:
-Flipped my quad on top of me and was pinned underneath it for a few mins until my cousin found me, luckily the seat landed on me and I was wearing a helmet
-Riding in the back of a truck
-Hanging on to the back of a toyota 4runner on a river in the winter, that was fun hehe. Stupid but fun
-Pulling the GT snowracer behind the sled and quads and going waaay too fast.
-Apparently I took off on the ride'em lawn mower when I was 4 and my old man just asked me where I thought I was going hahah
-Riding down the stairs in laundry baskets, cardboard boxes or anything that could be used to ride down the stairs

Yup, I've never broken a bone and I still have all ten fingers and ten toes. I'll count my blessings;)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I read through them all and nobody wrote about this one!

Yes, we got chased and yes there were rumors that some of the oldtimers would be waiting for us with shotguns full of rock salt but we survived!

Our favorite Halloween trick was "tipping outhouses". Back in the olden days not everyone had the fancy flush toilets and had a fully functional outhouse in the back yard close to the back fence and alley. We (usually 2 or 3 of us) would cruise the alley's looking for them, sneak over the fence and push the outhouse over being careful not to fall into the hole. Some of the oldtimers would shore up their outhouse and sometimes we couldn't get it over so we would call in the troops (another 1 or 2 guys) and go back the next night.

Halloween tricking started early, like maybe a week before the big day. We kept records and compared notes the next day at school and naturally there were bragging rights for the most and bonus points if the owner was in one! The planning and secrecy that would go into this event was nothing short of amazing!

Wow, what the kids miss today......

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I read through them all and nobody wrote about this one!

Yes, we got chased and yes there were rumors that some of the oldtimers would be waiting for us with shotguns full of rock salt but we survived!

Our favorite Halloween trick was "tipping outhouses". Back in the olden days not everyone had the fancy flush toilets and had a fully functional outhouse in the back yard close to the back fence and alley. We (usually 2 or 3 of us) would cruise the alley's looking for them, sneak over the fence and push the outhouse over being careful not to fall into the hole. Some of the oldtimers would shore up their outhouse and sometimes we couldn't get it over so we would call in the troops (another 1 or 2 guys) and go back the next night.

Halloween tricking started early, like maybe a week before the big day. We kept records and compared notes the next day at school and naturally there were bragging rights for the most and bonus points if the owner was in one! The planning and secrecy that would go into this event was nothing short of amazing!

Wow, what the kids miss today......

I heard of guys on Halloween picking up out houses and moving them back 4 feet then covering the open hole in front with a thin piece of wall panneling then cover it with leaves and wait for the 1st person to come along in the dark

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets see....

Dirt lump wars....running around new home construction throwing snowball sized dirt lumps at each other. A twist on that was throwing the little steel tabs off the basement concrete forms that are found at the bottom of new basements before they are backfilled. You often get covered with new fresh tar when you climb down to retrieve the "wingers" as we called them. They hurt.

Jumping our old banana bikes. Gaaawd...I remember busting the forks clean off one day. The crash wasn't as painful as the thrashing I later recieved for trashing my new bike.

Garden raids. Peas were gold, carrots were silver...everything else just got trampled. Many a torn pair o' pants fleeing over a fence when the yard lights came on.

Chasing bears on our pedal bikes. Yes: bears. In Peace River the black bears come down into the valley in the spring...all dozy and hungry, going through dumpsters. We used to chase 'em on our bikes. I remember sitting in school looking at 4 or 5 bears on the school yard out the window.

All-day tobogganing at -40. During Christmas holidays the "gang" would get together early in the morning and head for the hills. It's a loooong hike from the town up to the top of the valley in PR when yer a kid, but made for some epic long rides down!

Building smoke bombs. As the teen years came along I got into pyrotechnics...LOL. A toilet paper tube lined with foil and the ends capped with tape....filled with 1 part saltpeter, 2 parts iceing sugar...fuse made of tape with matchheads stuck to it side by side = BIG SMOKE = started dad's fence on fire = more thrashings.

Model rocketry. Generally safe. But when left alone a kid has to modify things. Ie: smoke bomb recipe from above into a model rocket....then launch it sideways at something = starting a huge grass fire in the coulees in Lethbridge. Whoops.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I heard of guys on Halloween picking up out houses and moving them back 4 feet then covering the open hole in front with a thin piece of wall panneling then cover it with leaves and wait for the 1st person to come along in the dark

Ya' that was around in my day but it was for the big boys as we were too little to lift the suckers and it would probably be us that fell in....just saying:d:d

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets see....

Dirt lump wars....running around new home construction throwing snowball sized dirt lumps at each other. A twist on that was throwing the little steel tabs off the basement concrete forms that are found at the bottom of new basements before they are backfilled. You often get covered with new fresh tar when you climb down to retrieve the "wingers" as we called them. They hurt.

Jumping our old banana bikes. Gaaawd...I remember busting the forks clean off one day. The crash wasn't as painful as the thrashing I later recieved for trashing my new bike.

Garden raids. Peas were gold, carrots were silver...everything else just got trampled. Many a torn pair o' pants fleeing over a fence when the yard lights came on.

Chasing bears on our pedal bikes. Yes: bears. In Peace River the black bears come down into the valley in the spring...all dozy and hungry, going through dumpsters. We used to chase 'em on our bikes. I remember sitting in school looking at 4 or 5 bears on the school yard out the window.

All-day tobogganing at -40. During Christmas holidays the "gang" would get together early in the morning and head for the hills. It's a loooong hike from the town up to the top of the valley in PR when yer a kid, but made for some epic long rides down!

Building smoke bombs. As the teen years came along I got into pyrotechnics...LOL. A toilet paper tube lined with foil and the ends capped with tape....filled with 1 part saltpeter, 2 parts iceing sugar...fuse made of tape with matchheads stuck to it side by side = BIG SMOKE = started dad's fence on fire = more thrashings.

Model rocketry. Generally safe. But when left alone a kid has to modify things. Ie: smoke bomb recipe from above into a model rocket....then launch it sideways at something = starting a huge grass fire in the coulees in Lethbridge. Whoops.

Whoa.....this if freaky. You just posted a big part of my life to the T. All but the bears. Everything else right on the money.

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hanging outside buddys pasenger door on his camaro doing 40 mph down the gravel road till my feet got warm in cowboy boots:beer:
Being 10 years old,and shooting my best friend in the back of the head with a pellet gun from about 50 feet.He shot me in the a$$ earlier in the day.
Driving home from a partie with one eye open,getting pulled over and having the cop tell me "Drive straight home,and i'll follow you,if I see you driving again tonight,you'll be in trouble.:beer:
Falling out of my desk during departmental exams.:beer:
Getting pulled over with my face painted [I didn't know] :beer:The cop smiled at me and said he would follow me home. I thought he was queer.
I could go on for ever,man im lucky to be alive.
Hopefully, I can continue to maintain my high level of saintlyness to my kids.May they never know.:d:d:d

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like this thread!..lol.
-Sh!t skiing behind a truck after you do corral cleaning in a pair of cowboy boots.
-bumper skiing through town on the bumper of a cop car.
-Dumping a 3 ton truck full of cattle manure on main street in the same town as previous.
-pellet and BB gun fights.
-No JSA's and safety meetings for absolutely ever thing!
-The workers were more important then the safety guy.
-50 lap race around a 1/2 mile horse racing track...in trucks...made to lap 26 and spun out and hit the rail....damn beer!
-jumping off the shop on to the trampoline...18ft
-roping my brother off the dirt bike and the rope tied hard to the hitch of the truck!...hurt me just as much as it hurt him after dad found out!
-Climbing Fisher hill west of Millerville with 10 people in the box!
-Wetting a news paper with water wrap your leg with it under your pants...soak your pant leg in gas...then stand next to the fire pit while everyone's drinking and talking...you will never hear so many "drop and Rolls"

Andoo

Respected Military Member
Reaction score
Mop bucket jousting when we were suppose to be waxing the floors at 0 dark stupid for inspection in the morning while on course.

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's a topper. we use to take two downhill ski's, build a deck on them ( so we could lay on it) tie it behind a dirt bike and ride on it down the streets of our small town.imagine seeing your 12yr old flying down the road sideways 4 inches off the ground with no helmet on? i still cant figure out how we never got hurt.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like this thread!..lol.
-Sh!t skiing behind a truck after you do corral cleaning in a pair of cowboy boots.
-bumper skiing through town on the bumper of a cop car.
-Dumping a 3 ton truck full of cattle manure on main street in the same town as previous.
-pellet and BB gun fights.
-No JSA's and safety meetings for absolutely ever thing!
-The workers were more important then the safety guy.
-50 lap race around a 1/2 mile horse racing track...in trucks...made to lap 26 and spun out and hit the rail....damn beer!
-jumping off the shop on to the trampoline...18ft
-roping my brother off the dirt bike and the rope tied hard to the hitch of the truck!...hurt me just as much as it hurt him after dad found out!
-Climbing Fisher hill west of Millerville with 10 people in the box!
-Wetting a news paper with water wrap your leg with it under your pants...soak your pant leg in gas...then stand next to the fire pit while everyone's drinking and talking...you will never hear so many "drop and Rolls"

that gas on leg is funny! at work I used to put the oxy torch out and let some gas go into a upside down plastic cup on the shop table.....when the grinder guy started making some sparks right beside it.... it blew up and he usually $h!t himself LMFAO! the best was when we pulled the fire alarm at the shop and 10 seconds later put the torch under the bathroom door well the boss was in the $h!ter lol he had a good laugh but Im surprised im still alive lol!

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we also use to take chunks of garden hose. fill them with gas, light the other end and blow the lit gas out. our version of a flame thrower. we threw 22 shells in the camp fire. then ran and hid. man were we stupid.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we also use to take chunks of garden hose. fill them with gas, light the other end and blow the lit gas out. our version of a flame thrower. we threw 22 shells in the camp fire. then ran and hid. man were we stupid.

ever do the big can of pork and beans in the fire.......what a mess!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we use to put paint cans in the fire to. we had a thing for fire and explosions.

we put black gun powder in a glass canning jar....put a hole in the top and a fuse, thinking it would explode......but it shot sprinkles out the top of the jar, .....looked like cheap fire works....went up about 50 feet but the glass jar didnt explode.......to this day we dont know what we did wrong except the hole was to big???

did the fire walk once........once!
started a fire on the beach once......piled the wood up for an hour. (big fire) put 5 gallons of scoutt water on the wood. crawled on my hand and knees and through a rag that was on fire on to the "fire pit"......BOOM.....did you know that none of the wood was in the fire pit after that.....friends mom came out of the house thinking her house feel off the basement, and I lost some hair. ever since then Im not allowed to start fires LOL

Top Bottom