How did we ever survive.

Dale C.

Reaction score
What a great thread. Some very funny stuff.
When I was a kid, we watched Kung Fu on TV. Remember at the beginning of each episode, they would show Qui Chang Kane rising up through his training, as a kid, teenager, etc? Well, one of the scenes was where he had spears thrown at him and he would deflect them away with his arms in a karate type of move. Well, my brother and I would re-enact that with a couple of long tree branches, sharpened nicely to replicate a spear. Nobody got impaled, thankfully, but knocking them away with the arms hurt like hell (they were thick branches we used).
A few years later was the era of the pellet gun wars for us. We actually had wars in our basement! There was one time that I was hiding in our bedroom in the basement, my brother was in the rumpus room on the other side of the basement with his pellet gun.
I opened the door just enough to peek out the crack and promptly got shot in the forehead, dead center. To this day I thank god that it didn't hit me in the eye, as that would have been the end of the eye, I'm sure. My head bled like a stuck pig. My folks were not home at the time, and like any good brother, we concocted a story about how i accidentally fell and hit my head on the corner of a table. Anyway, for years after that, I felt that either I had a bone chip in my head, or that the pellet was still in there, as there was a bump there that wouldn't go away. Just 2 years ago I mentioned this to my doctor, as the bump always bothered me. He sent me for an xray, and sure enough, there was a nice picture of my pellet imbedded in my skull. About a week later, my doctor had me come back for the "pellet-ectomy". I had that pellet in my head for over 25 years!!
Dale.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perfect LoL a lead pellet in your head all these years, well at least you've got a good excuse. Didn't go off in the metal detector in the airport ? LoL

We used to do the arrow stunt too, staring straight up trying to spot an arrow coming down at us... Brilliant, just brilliant.

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember shooting gophers with my 22 and my freind had a shotgun (yes a shot gun for shooting gophers) oh and by the way he bought the shot gun from the local hardware store when he was 13 years old no questions asked!!
Anyways back to the story, we were having a grand old time blasting gophers when all of a sudden a cop pulls up gets out of his car and comes over to talk to us, and here is what he said; "You fellows mind moving out of town about a mile your just a little to close to the residential areas. Thanks and have fun shooting gophers" Now if that were to happen today there would have been a SWAT team on our butts faster than Jack the Bear and our parents would have been up the creek without a paddle!!! Ah the good old days!!!

Britt

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a great thread. Some very funny stuff.
When I was a kid, we watched Kung Fu on TV. Remember at the beginning of each episode, they would show Qui Chang Kane rising up through his training, as a kid, teenager, etc? Well, one of the scenes was where he had spears thrown at him and he would deflect them away with his arms in a karate type of move. Well, my brother and I would re-enact that with a couple of long tree branches, sharpened nicely to replicate a spear. Nobody got impaled, thankfully, but knocking them away with the arms hurt like hell (they were thick branches we used).
A few years later was the era of the pellet gun wars for us. We actually had wars in our basement! There was one time that I was hiding in our bedroom in the basement, my brother was in the rumpus room on the other side of the basement with his pellet gun.
I opened the door just enough to peek out the crack and promptly got shot in the forehead, dead center. To this day I thank god that it didn't hit me in the eye, as that would have been the end of the eye, I'm sure. My head bled like a stuck pig. My folks were not home at the time, and like any good brother, we concocted a story about how i accidentally fell and hit my head on the corner of a table. Anyway, for years after that, I felt that either I had a bone chip in my head, or that the pellet was still in there, as there was a bump there that wouldn't go away. Just 2 years ago I mentioned this to my doctor, as the bump always bothered me. He sent me for an xray, and sure enough, there was a nice picture of my pellet imbedded in my skull. About a week later, my doctor had me come back for the "pellet-ectomy". I had that pellet in my head for over 25 years!!
Dale.

and today they say "lead kills" lol........

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Throwing old raid cans and such in the burning barrel on the farm then lighting them was always good for some excitement. Shrapnel everywhere. Couldn't hear for half a day and had melted plastic from the cap stuck in my hair. Jumping everything that had wheels including the old radio flyer. Building tree houses one on top of the other till the branches got to small to nail stuff to then tying a zip line from the top and using a y shaped stick to go down. The stick broke and I went straight down. The list can go on on.

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
having two way older brothers we did many death defying acts everyday....

1. playing target practice with pellet guns and knives...the target was whoever pulled the shortest straw and we didnt use any padded clothing....that would have been s-m-r-t.

2. having a brother hold on to your hand through the truck window while you were outside seeing how fast you could run on gravel in bare feet.

3. we used to hang on to the back of the trike and get dragged through mud, muskeg and whatever else. Whoever could hang on the longest won.

4. lighting the driveway on fire and driving through it with my moms car.

5. doing police style manuevers on a gravel road doing about 110....

those are just a few things!!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suburban surfing
hanging onto the bumper of a truck , sliding on the icy pavement and getting pulled past the school at noon

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remember that old game we called chicken which was standing 10 feet apart and throwing a knife between the other guys legs and if it stuck he had to bring his feet together 1 inch. then throw again. man that hurt when the boot knife stuck me in the leg!! lmao

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everytime I see a trampoline with a protection net I look and wonder... Our old trampoline didn't any safety at all, not even matts to cover the springs. After watching Don Cherry's rockin sock'em we'd go on it and try to hit each other off. Usually ended up with me getting double bounced and checked off and landing on the ground. Never broke a bone in my life!

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suburban surfing
hanging onto the bumper of a truck , sliding on the icy pavement and getting pulled past the school at noon

We called that "hooky bob" in the Kootenays when I was a kid.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
im not that old but... not wearing helmets riding dirtbikes or the honda bigred trike around. that was the norm. too many close calls

now i have a helmet on before i get on

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prolly the most vivid memory....my Dad and Uncle pulling myself and 2 brothers... down the gravel groad on a tobagan, hooked behind the farm truck with a lariat, and very unsafe speeds.....shheesh...good times!!:d

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trampoline without net or padding , riding tikes and rolling numerous times , bb guns cause no such thing as paint ball , riding a truck hood behind a snowmobile or down a hill , climbing on moving combines , tidy tank of diesel on dug out ( had whole damn country there for that trying to put it out ) lol. Putting auger belts on running motor in winter time (and still have all my digits too ). Making bungee cord out of tarp straps and jumping off bridge by house ( this resulted in first broken bones in wrist ). Watching stampede wrestling on tv and having you brother and friends climb on wall unit to perform stunts seen on you ( yup another broken bone the collar bone ouch that one hurt ). Playin in old car out back that grandpa told us to stay away from cause there was old dynamite in trunk . Coming home drunk as a skunk at farm truck still running in driveway not knowing how i got home to only have grandpa pull you out of bed make you clean all beer cans up in driveway and clean grainery bins on what i still say was the hottest day of my life must have been 35 outside that day and 200 i side bins never came drove impared again that
was for sure. Will think of more im sure of it

Riding atv and snowmobiles without helmets , car seats never put in properly , riding to lake in box of truck , drinkin beer at 12 with uncle teaching me to drive boat , learning to drive grain truck at 13 on the road loaded

mel.h

Reaction score
So these are not so bad, but i'll tell it anyways. Every x-mas most all of the immediate family would come out to the farm & we would have enough kids for 2 hockey teams plus a couple spares. We played with a hard puck, no helments, no padding, except if you were a goalie you went to your sock drawer & got out a pair of wollies & stuffed that down the front of your pants. Seemed like we always played this at night, usually till about midnight then we were called in. Another x-mas game was to race from the house to the pig pen & back ( about 150 yards 1 way), in only our socks & a t-shirt or sweater to see who could do it in the fastest time. Never ever got a cold from it. The summer i was 14 to cousin came to stay & we had a contest of who could shoot he most squirrels that summer. Only my dad told us was don't shoot any in the granaries, he didn't need the extra holes for ventilation.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we used to live with a steep hill behind the house so 2 guys would try to make it up hiding behind trees as 2 would roll huge rocks down at them,thought we killed my cousin one day but he survived,we used to throw knives to,let me tell you a diving knife to the head aint fun,lucky it just glanced off me and only stitches needed,AHHHHH the good memories.:d

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We called that "hooky bob" in the Kootenays when I was a kid.

Suburban surfing

We called it bumper shining. Remember grabbing hold with my brother driving our old 69 Ford. Of course to shake us loose he'd head to the pavement. Trying to explain to Mom later how I melted the bottoms of my shoes and where my left mit went.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I think I can relate to every story posted so far another bad one was drinking and driving used to tell everyone my car had auto-pilot it knew where it was going and always got me home safe and sound.....pretty stupid huh.....once me and friend got stopped on a back road....trying to dodge the cops somewhere by Sledbunnyracing's house....we were pizzed to the gills cop told me if he made me blow he knew for a fact I was gonna lose my licence, he told us to get outta here and go straight home and he did NOT want to see my car on the road for the next 24hrs. About an hour later we where sitting on the deck having another when the cop drove by real slow and seen the car in the driveway. Not sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing we knew all the cops and the cops knew us

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
We called it bumper shining. Remember grabbing hold with my brother driving our old 69 Ford. Of course to shake us loose he'd head to the pavement. Trying to explain to Mom later how I melted the bottoms of my shoes and where my left mit went.

Thats what we called it too.....once we dragged behind a STC bus and it turned to go down the highway hit pavement and we did face plants and my buddies mitt was stuck to the bumper

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah yes bumper riding. We use to grab the back of the school buses when they were lined up outside the school in the winter time. Pure B.S. luck that no one got run over:eek:

Billy Boy:cool:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn these are funny. PRetty did all the above and then some. Spent a lot of time at my cousins farm and it as a miracle I made it home at the end of the day.

Running the tops of bale piles, sometimes falling into a crack anf having to squirm your way through a maze of bales. Amazing none of us got stuck in the pile somewhere.

Standing ont he fence above the cows when they came to the grain trough, jumping on their necks and seeing how long you could hang on.

Slingshots in the grain pbins, trying to hit mice or bats. Rocks or bearing would ricochet all over, sometimes hitting us. Yeah it hurt.

Getting a coule old cars running and playing smach up derby out in the fields...no safety gear whatsoever.

Mashing shot gun shells with rocks...yikes!

Playing with fire....setting all sorts of things and chemicals ablaze.

Running across the floor joists of new house builds, seeing who could make it across the farthest before dropping to the basement floor. A few split heads and lips.

And it goes on and on and on.

Our parents rarely knew where we were till we got home late for dinner, missing boots, gloves, cut up, you name it.

I might add too that we never got taken to the hospital. Clean it up, a little Vaseline to stop the bleeding and away you went again.

Keep 'em coming. This is great.

Top Bottom