How did we ever survive.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just walking across the field thinking about the safety of my kids driving combines which in turn got me thinking of the stuff we did as kids.
Remember lawn darts, the real lawn darts with the six inch steel tips.or how bout standing by your dad on the front seat of the truck, or shinnying up as far as you could up a power pole.
Let's hear about some of your Unsafe kid stories.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll start
for my nineth birthday I got a 22 and a box of shells, can remember first thing I did was hopping on my little dirtbike and carrying it in my lap (loaded) to go showy buddies

Last edited:

mel.h

Reaction score
Hmmmm, where do i start.... riding a petal or motor bike without helmut. Riding a petal bike down the big hill to the river flats using your shoe as a brake (the road down was like riding on cobblestones).Climbing up a 75' to 100' black poplar to the point where you start to tip sideways because the branches are to small.Climbing up about 15 - 20 ' up same tree & having a afternoon nap because that is the 1 place Dad would not think to look for you after a night of partying.Riding on the step of our old John Deere 820 (that had no cab) in high gear while holding on to a pail of Saskatoons with 1 hand & eating them with the other. Quickly jumping on to the back of a yearling while your brother goes around back & kicks it in the privates & see how long you can hang on. going in to the pig pen, grabbing a piglet & dragging / carrying it to the wallow & throwing it in before the Sow catches up to you. Just a few for now, hope it brings back memories for some & laughs for others.:d:d

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Laying in the camper on the top bunk looking out the window @ 70 mph

Teething on items made with asbestos and/or lead paint

Sitting in the car (without seatbelts or carseats) with our parents chain smoking with the windows tightly sealed so we don't "catch cold" LoL, AND dad is pissed drunk along with every other driver on the road :eek:

I don't think the word "Safety" was invented until I was in my 20's ?

Well that's a start...

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
70 cc three wheeler in grade three with thousands of acres to get lost in. nobody cared or worried i was home when the big cast iron dinner bell rang. did knock out my baby teeth and i lodged it under a grainery cause my sister was yellin at me. soon after i fell off the swather and got the rear tire right over my head. We were built different back then but i cant remember bits and pieces! LOL

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember spud guns. I remember taking mine to school. Can you imagine, they'd have the swat team on the roof now

mel.h

Reaction score
Riding on the Stone boat ( at the age of 11), tried to jump to the tractor, fell got wedged under the front of the stone boat & drug for what seemed a eternity before my grandfather looked back & finally saw me. Of course, after he pulled me out & made sure i had no broken bones ( just some field rash) i got my hind end chewed out for being a idiot. Then i got home & mom gave me holy hell for tearing a perfectly good t-shirt, then proceeds to clean the cuts out with Epsom salt in hot water. Wondered how the belt felt on our hammer mill at the age of 6, stuck my finger in to find out (oh of course it was running)... still have all my fingers. My brothers & i use to play king of the castle off of the 15' high bale stacks (only in the winter though, we were not that stupid to do it in the fall ???). Played chicken on the dug-outs after they 1st froze to see how far we could make it out before the ice cracked.:rolleyes:

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Air compressor, 5 gallons gas, and a hornets nest was an adventure. Attempting to make bombs with fertilizer and diesel for ground blinds. Learning how the 12 guage and 3" magnums worked when mom and dad went to Vegas........told Grandma that dad let us shoot it all the time.......Growing up on the farm was the best, but like we said, suprised we have all our fingers, toes, etc.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Growing up on the farm
No paint balls guns so we used pellet guns,,they hurt
5 gallons of gas in a culvert,,not a good outcome
Riding on tractors with no cabs
Crashing the 125 3 wheels a few hunred times
Riding calfs in the pens

But it was the best time ever growning up on the farm:d:beer:

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
my old man owned(still does) an Auto Wrecker and for the first ten years of my life my babysitter was a junkyard dog, my best friend was my BB gun, and 5 acres of double and triple stacked cars was my playground. WAY too much fun for a kid. I put thousands of rounds through that bb gun, and it sure pays off every hunting season now!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Catching sh!t from mom if you didn't run when she told you to bring her the scissors. Got my 1st dirtbike for my 4th birthday. Got my first .22 for my 6th birthday, what were they thinking?? By the time I was 10, I had logged more miles in the old farm truck than most 30 years olds. Yep, out till dark every day, on the dirt bike, or shooting gophers, no cell phones to tell you to come home, you just knew when to mosey back to the house. I still won't let my 8 year old daughter cross the street by herself.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used to play a game called "astro smash".it was two sleds each pulling a tire tube with a couple kids on each tube. The object was to whip the tubes into each other and who ever was left on the tube won. Thinking back mostly that wasn't much fun.. Man my parents were sh!tty

Last edited by a moderator:

hurt'in albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i remember like 10 yrs old in the old 3 ton grain truck barely able to see where i was going and dad tellin me to take it back to yard from the field while he followed on the tractor:d

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we used to play hockey out on the lake......two people to a sled....one driver, one with a hockey stick.....and a beach ball. the nets were about a mile apart and about 30 feet wide. the dangerious part was when the ice was only 3-4 inches thick come spring and still play hockey, but the scarry part was when we started to bump into each other (checking lol) well doing 60 mph lol. the guys with the elans couldnt stay with anyone else but they made good goalies. I built a blizzard 7500 plus with a ice track and good carbides so I was always the center lol.

one time ! built a sled with wheels. it was crazzy fast but did my parents even question "is it going to kill him" nope it was just something you did back then.......I can remember doing donuts around cop cars on new years eve with the sleds, then flying home down the lake. when they came to the house, they just told us to not do it again.....now you would be in jail!

times where much more slower and way more simple.

how many guys used to lay in the back window well there parents drove across canada.......car seat WTF! WE ARE STILL ALIVE!

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going down the road looking for a cougar and having no clue where it went. Lighting a jerry can full of gas on fire, making bows out of trees in the bush then arrows out of sticks and taping nails to the end of the arrows. Then shooting the arrows back and for to each other.....

Last edited:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
We used to put on winter jackets and have wars with pellet guns and shoot each other I got shot in the lip once bled like a stuck pig......the worst I remember was we were held up in 2 old grain bins side by side with our gun barrels through knot holes and peeking through the cracks shooting at each other I can only imagine if we shot someone in the eye cause thats all you could see

Andoo

Respected Military Member
Reaction score
Going to gym class in Gr 3 only to have 2 teeth knocked out by the teacher passing a basketball without warning twice in 10 minutes. Ofcourse nothing happened to him, "they will grow in!"

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at age 10-11 shortening the pull rope on a chainsaw (no bar on it) one foot on motor and trying to start it.... 2 or 3 teeth knocked out whoops!, takin tire swing off A frame treehouse with my arm between top house and support bar,, slipped and snapped arm between elbow and shoulder, mom insisted on taking my pullover jacket off instead of cutting it off (had to swear at mom for that!!) sitting shotgun using door handle in a 98 dodge pickup as a grab handle when drunk, went around a corner and almost fell out! buddy in the middle had to grab me by jeans pocket..........the list is long!

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember shooting a arrow up in the air and scattering like mice when the light gets turned on, wishing you were not to get hit when it was coming down and not having a clue where it was.

Top Bottom