GLOBAR STAR it's now September

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well since it's mid September and we were guaranteed full coverage 24hrs a day just like iridium come Sept. how is youre phone working?

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The medic whe had up in the Yukon had no reception at the start of the month.

That figures, same as mine. I was PROMISED all the new sats would be going strong and reception would be perfect come september 2010. I don't like liars.

They can take this pos back and shove it. I will go back to radio tel that almost always works.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my Globalstar phone has been in its Pelican case since last season,today I turned it on and it was still showing full battery,went outside and for the very first time since I got it three years ago had full signal right out my door.

I certainly hope they have got it together for this season.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well my Globalstar phone has been in its Pelican case since last season,today I turned it on and it was still showing full battery,went outside and for the very first time since I got it three years ago had full signal right out my door.

Well that seems like a good thing.....

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I retired mine 4 years ago because of hit and miss service. After reading your post I might try to reactivate it.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Working for the military we just recently dumped Global Star completely due to the serious lack of service and have gone totally to Irridium. Great coverage over pretty much all of Canada. Had guys up on Ward Hunt Island, off of Ellesmere Island doing factory trials with Irridium and I can tell you they are dumping some serious $$ into both their voice and data services. Guys had full internet up there.....by no means high speed but good enough for checking FB and Snow and Mud :d In my opinion I'd look at going towards them and staying away from the Global Star's.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use sat phones where I work and had global star until they went for ch!t then switched to Iridium. Now we have the new sat phones out from Inmarsat called the Isatphone. Been using it for @ a month now and coverage is excellent, voice clarity is great and these units are built rugged. New in the box they are around $650 CA and I believe the voice plans start at $19.95 per month. Iridium works great but way over priced but then again after global star they used to be the only game in town until these came out.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same boat with globalstar. ive heard "new sats blah blah blah" for over two years and gave up and went with irridium. no complaints

the only good thing is our global star phones are now on a no fee pay as you go. so for work projects etc, at least we have a chance

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use sat phones where I work and had global star until they went for ch!t then switched to Iridium. Now we have the new sat phones out from Inmarsat called the Isatphone. Been using it for @ a month now and coverage is excellent, voice clarity is great and these units are built rugged. New in the box they are around $650 CA and I believe the voice plans start at $19.95 per month. Iridium works great but way over priced but then again after global star they used to be the only game in town until these came out.

How far north are you using the Inmarsat's? I was looking at some but they couldn't guarantee delivery before our field program got on the go.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How far north are you using the Inmarsat's? I was looking at some but they couldn't guarantee delivery before our field program got on the go.

Horn River area in N.E BC and up around Helmut.

Top Bottom