Power outage

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I learned this info from someone on this site 10+ years ago...so I will pass it on (again):

https://generlink.ca/

This gizmo is allows you to use a generator to power your house. Has CSA approved transfer switch (no backfeeding) and is a surge protector when not in use. Generator has to be a 4 prong plug deal...(220 v?) You don't *need* an installer....it plugs in between the meter and the box on the house. It requires a ground wire be attached. Technically, the rep from the power company isn't supposed to do that....you're supposed to have an electrician there when the power company rep comes to pop the meter off...then re-install with two seals. BUT upon seeing how simple it was, the power company guy hooked mine up...really just a waste hiring an electrician for one ground wire. (the power company guy also said he would be getting one for his place...this was 10+ years ago and he had never seen these)

Anyways, I use a 7500/9500 Westinghouse Gen from Home Depot. Loud, yup. But when the power is out in the country, my place has all the lights on, 3 fridges and 1 freezer running, 2 TVs going, and me drinking beer in the garage. I don't try to run the AC, electric oven, or dryer....but other than that life goes on as normal. Only used it twice in 10 years...one outage was 16-20 hrs or so....all my neighbors were throwing out food or running fridge off extension cords to small camping generators.

I fire the gen up 2-3 times a year, drain the fuel every summer...replace with fresh premium and Stabil. Always starts easy. I keep a couple of big jugs of fuel in the garage rotating with mower gas for freshness.

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More power interuptions and blackouts are coming with the new green energy mandate. Our power infrastructure is way undersized. And this is not a quick fix. If the Liberals stay in power you will be heating your house with wood and burning candles for light.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once I get a couple hundred hours on the Firman I will upgrade. Sitting at 0 right now since I bought it.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More power interuptions and blackouts are coming with the new green energy mandate. Our power infrastructure is way undersized. And this is not a quick fix. If the Liberals stay in power you will be heating your house with wood and burning candles for light.
I already do burn wood

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from down east...
20240725_112931.jpg

There switching over too windmills from the looks of things,,, definitely a short fall in electricity if the winds aren't blowing...

My friends home generators fire up automatically every time they experience black-outs...

Some are short and some are long stints of no supplied electricity off the grid...

Kinda of sad because all of Canada at one time had the best electrical grid in the World,,, not so much now days...

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I turn off the main breaker. Then turn off all the breakers except for the ones I need( if I had a bigger generator I wouldn't have to do this part). So the outlet outside the house is on( breaker). I plug the generator in to that outlet. With the main off and the others on the generator will feed the fridge and other devices. I heard during an power outing you should turn off your breakers anyway.
Did this for 9 days in northern bc until bc power restored power. Ran fridge/freezer/tv/coffee machine/microwave no problem with a 3500 champion saved alot of groceries and still lived comfortably.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Libtards/Dippers can use flameless candles and buy there wood from 7-11 though;)

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I already do burn wood
Not if all the insurance companies wont insure your house.. they all ready thought of that. I had to switch companies to keep my stove active or my rates were going to skyrocket. Places like Montreal and Vancouver all ready have emissions limits on stoves and installation bans in certain areas. If you can do anything without getting taxed it seems like they are looking to change that.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not if all the insurance companies wont insure your house.. they all ready thought of that. I had to switch companies to keep my stove active or my rates were going to skyrocket. Places like Montreal and Vancouver all ready have emissions limits on stoves and installation bans in certain areas. If you can do anything without getting taxed it seems like they are looking to change that.
Simple fix, identify as Indigenous and burn all you want or say it's for religious purposes 😏

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol switched insurance companies to MMI rates reduced and they prodded me about rate reductions. So far so good

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a Generlink like DaveB, put a tri-fuel kit on a 8400W Generac. Have a couple hundred pounds of propane and can tie into my Nat.Gas line if needed. Probably lose a couple K worth of power going on Nat.Gas but it will run everything in the house. Probably need to run on gas to gas to make the hot tub circ. though.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbour has a big Miller welder that he can plug into his house if power goes out? Anybody do something like that?

I like that idea because you can use it for other things vs just sitting there waiting

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbour has a big Miller welder that he can plug into his house if power goes out? Anybody do something like that?

I like that idea because you can use it for other things vs just sitting there waiting

You can, it's just going to lack the autostart capability of a generac, at least not without setting up your own kind of auto start transfer switch setup.

Depends what you get too, some welders like an old 300D are limited to about 2000 watts AC power.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can, it's just going to lack the autostart capability of a generac, at least not without setting up your own kind of auto start transfer switch setup.

Depends what you get too, some welders like an old 300D are limited to about 2000 watts AC power.
Lincoln ranger 225 will produce 10kw.
I'm looking for welder options for my new shop build. This one would be handy

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup my Dad has a Lincoln that is very capable of that will put out 10kw probably run the whole farm lol!

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you.. I think within our life time we will see wood stoves getting banned within city limits. When I look outside in the winter I can see at least 5 homes that burn wood for heat. My wife hopes we can still burn wood untill we get too old to go out and get the firewood

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe you could start a business like skip the dishes and have the wood delivered to their door you don't need to be old just lazy and useless

Top Bottom