• I BORROW A BEACON FROM FRIENDS

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I DO NOT OWN OR USE A BEACON

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i always wear one - i also have a spare. it is no good to me if no else is wearing one.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the saying goes, No glove no Love. Same with sledding the steeps and beacons. Sleds are still fun to ride on the trailer.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everytime we head to the mountains we all (our group of riders) rent beacons... however, in a panic rescue situation I will be the first to admit that the guys I ride with would not be experienced at rescueing... locating and retreiving a avy victom:confused: Neither would I... everyone should take an Avy course I guess :rolleyes:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone in this sport pays a price to have fun but paying with a life should not be acceptable. Wearing a peep is like wearing a seatbelt, at least for me. Other items in the back pack besides the shovel and probe are: first aid kit, socks, gloves, food, spare batteries and what ever last minute things that may be remembered.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone in this sport pays a price to have fun but paying with a life should not be acceptable. Wearing a peep is like wearing a seatbelt, at least for me. Other items in the back pack besides the shovel and probe are: first aid kit, socks, gloves, food, spare batteries and what ever last minute things that may be remembered.

Someday all of us will have these items packed as neccesities, could save a life or two :confused: Hopefully :)

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rented beacons when I first started riding but didn't know how to use it. Figured out the basics and felt semi-comfortable that I could use it if needed.
Took an avy course in December and realized that I would have been almost useless with it before the course. It's good to know how to perform the initial search, then the pin-point search and then how to use your shovel and probe properly. Probing requires some practice and knowledge. You need to learn how to dig someone out properly so you don't end up walking on them and so you can get them out effectively. The story from the guy in Innisfail buried last year was a good example. His rescuers dislocated both of his shoulders pulling him out of the avy debris while he was unconscious. We had guys stepping on the dummies head and kneeling on his chest during our mock rescue because we didn't dig properly.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread you started here. I use to rent and everyplace had a different model and I wasn't comfortable with that so I picked up a Tracker DTS at the Edmonton sled show this fall. You actually learn something when you have a instruction book to read and the avy course is a no brainer.

live2ride

Reaction score
Website
www.kristy-martin.com
I use and wear my beacon on every ride, my son and husband use theres as well!! I always say, no matter what we are riding where and when, you never know if you are going to run into someone that is searching for someone else!!! We also carry our Probes and shovels on our backs!!

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sled and ski / board with a people. You are not welcome to ride with us If you are not capably of using a beacon. You can have all the gear in the world, but if you don't know how to use it...... Don't even ask to come along. What you should be asking is how to use it. To many peaple use this stuff as a security blanket and don't actually know how to use it. Take an Avy course, That is your friend , cuz at the end of the day someone at home is waiting for you!

mad mikes sled rentals

Reaction score
had a good buddy die up in hospital creek back a few years ago he was wearing one the guys who he was with didnt he was found alive but died on the way to hospital under the snow too long lungs filled up im sure his friends wont ever forgive themselfs if you can afford 10000 for sled 100 for gas beer you can spend enough to save your buddys life or a strangers. you play ,you pay . how would you like to be the guy who goes to your friends wife and kids to tell them you didnt get to him in time mad mike

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One last thing i think you guys will find funny years ago at duncan a family of 3 showed up at the stagging area. I warned the father the area was extreme and in a very high avy condition. He replied that him and his wife had beacons and not to worry. I asked him about the child and he got very upset with me a told me to mind my own business. This concerned me because this was our last day of 5 in this area and we had already set off 10 or more slides.being a idiot i couldn't leave it alone i went up to the mother and passed her our spare beacon and told her were to leave it when they came back down. Off they went. I quess daddy must of found out about what i had done cuz when we got back. The beacon was smashed and hanging on the antenna with a note i told you to mind your own business.
man, I would've freakin' snapped.....:eek:
a gracious and thoughtful act on your part, I applaud you sir.

I, or anyone else in my group, never ride without a beacon in the mountains.

Top Bottom