What to get Diesel/Gas 1/2 or 3/4 tone

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered lots but i know nothing about trucks but need something to haul my sled.

I'm looking at getting between a 99-03 truck.
But do i go with Gas or Diesel? Do i go 1/2 or 3/4 ?

Here's what i will be doing with it.
1. maybe 2-3 times a week drive it to work (10km+ a day)
2. maybe drive it around town a bit
3. haul sled deck with 2 sleds and hopefully a trailer with sleds.

I was thinking of a Diesel but from what i have heard they have high overhead, and with the gas i'm worried about millage.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's a deck with sleds you gotta get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton for sure, a 1/2 ton won't do it. A gas will not get good mileage with a sled with 2 sleds and a trailer behind it whatsoever. Diesels really aren't anymore to maintain especially in those years vs a gas, the extra maintaince costs are saved in fuel. They cost more to buy, but they are worth more when you sell. I wouldn't buy or not buy a diesel based on operating cost vs a gas, it is so close. However only going 10km to work is not going to get a diesel to operating temp a lot of the year and that is a problem if it's everyday. Plus until they reach operating temp the mileage suffers.

I've got a 1 ton diesel and i've never go back to a gas. My 1 ton diesel on 38's with stock 3:73 gearing gets better city mileage, and highway by a ton then my old 1500 gas job stock. Plus it will haul/pull a mile more. And so much funner to drive :d

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered lots but i know nothing about trucks but need something to haul my sled.

I was thinking of a Diesel but from what i have heard they have high overhead, and with the gas i'm worried about millage.

Thanks
Go diesel or you'll wish you had at some point espicially if your planning to keep it for a few years and pull anything bigger than a 16 ft trailer.

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks

crooklyn,

A couple things here, I would be leery to start a diesel for 10 km. Also, not sure what your budget is but the age group of truck your looking at is getting old. Actually your getting into the prime age for injectors, fuel pumps, tranny's and head gaskets. For example, a head gasket job for a duramax is over $5000. If you do not do your own oil changes a diesel is over $100 to get it done. I would hate see you have this added expense a month after you bought the truck. In this light an older gas job is cheaper even if you burn more fuel. I bought a brand new crate 5.3litre motor for $5000.

Do not go for anything under a 3/4 and if you go for the diesel in your age group, make sure you get maintenance records and a good inspection completed. And, buy a $500 beater for the 10km trips.

Good Luck

Kennyboy

Reaction score
I would go diesel, it hasn't done me wrong. Dodge will give you the least issues.... I haul my dump trailer and bobcat in it. Only repairs are brakes and oil changes. Gas was costing a fortune! Don't be scared of mileage, I have over 350,000km on my '97 and its been everywhere.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 1/2 ton would do a deck fine if its an HD.. but I have a 3/4 gas and my bro a 3/4 diesel.. (keep in mind both lifted) and we get the same gas mileage hauling an enclosed sled trailer.. 300-350km. sad hey! so mileage isnt a worthy agreement, and diesel is nearly the same price as gas.. but the guys are right w/ the maintenance on an older diesel.. and unless you run it for 20+ min for your 5min drive it wont be any good. sounds like until you get into pulling a lot etc a gas might serve you better especially for one that old.. but just my thought..

motrhed

Reaction score
Based on the year of vehicle that you are looking for, anything with low KM's and in good shape would be a good buy (gas or diesel).
Don't go for anything under 3/4 ton (9000 lb GVW)... even then with a deck, 2 sleds, and a trailer you would probably still need to have air bags or overloads to control the sway.
Whatever you buy (gas or diesel) make sure that it has a decent transmission to handle the loads (tow/haul mode, trans temp gauge, strong clutch, enough cooling, etc).
Regarding gas or diesel, you have to figure out if your mileage per year "under load" is worth the extra $$$ to buy and maintain a diesel as compared to a gas unit.
Yes, a diesel will have better torque and longevity, but mileage may not necessarily be any better than a larger gas engine, particularly emission controlled diesels. How many miles in a year will you be towing/hauling versus just driving around empty?
If the miles are much greater for towing and hauling versus running empty, go diesel. If not, buy a 6.0L GM HD2500 or a V10 Ford F350... both of these have the chassis capacity, good transmissions, and there are tons of parts to increase the torque and HP for better pulling and mileage figures.
I've had both diesel and HD gas... there are pros and cons with each. It is up to you to figure out which would best suit your needs, wants, and technical ability.
Hope this helps...

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Before you buy make sure you do the math. A deck will be around 350 pounds, two sleds with fuel, you and your friends body weight, your gear, your friends gear, trailer tonque weight. It all adds up quickly and all needs to be inclded in calculating your payload. When you do, you probably find you are looking for a 1 ton.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW thanks for all the response!!

A friend at work's dad (retired mechanic) has a 78' GMC 1500 4x4 w/ a new 1 tone suspension and a new 350 engine installed less then 20,000 km ago.
Its in mint shape, no rust or dents.

He wants $3500 for it.

Might be a great toy hauler?

what do you guys think?

Attachments

• Ds - Truck.JPG
    Ds - Truck.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 51

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm caught in the same dilema.....

I currently run a 1989 chevy 3500 ext. cab 4x4... I love the fact that it can tow anything... I hate the fact that loaded I get about 4.7 mpg (1 liter every 2 km)... I've looked into options to try and increase fuel efficiency but the only change that will make a difference is to change out the farmer 4 speed transmission not worth it on an 89..... By the way I have a 1989 chevy 3500 ext. cab 4x4, 454-4speed, a/t/c with 147000km and no rust for sale.....:eek:

I was hell bent on a diesel but after talking to my mechanic I'm not so sure anymore. $3000 for injectors, $1000 for an oil pump, ect.. ect.. ect.. he has a ryder truck in the shop with under 200000km and the repair bill when done will be 7-8K.... like stated above you can buy a brand new crate motor ($5567 for a 6.0L chevy) for the same price as diesel maintenance. Diesel is great if you drive it day in day out pulling loads... but for my 5-7K Km's a year I think I'm gonna stick with a gas 3/4 or 1 ton....I've seen guys with a truck camper on their 1/2 tons so by jesus I can put one on a 3/4.

5.4 triton, 6.0 chevy and the good old 350 seem to be the best options.....I loved my 5.3 in my silverado but I'm not sure it could handle the extra truck & load...

I've seen some guys claim 18mpg with the newer 454 (7.4L) hypertec'd and chit....but I think they lie...I figure 9-11-ish is decent....but then again I'm used to 4.7mpg

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was me, seeing as I have a good gas vehicle now,.. I would get about a 2002 Dodge 2500 ext cab 4x4 longbox diesel. I could haul the rhino in the back, and tow my 29ft TT at the same time.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A friend at work's dad (retired mechanic) has a 78' GMC 1500 4x4 w/ a new 1 tone suspension and a new 350 engine installed less then 20,000 km ago.

He wants $3500 for it.

what do you guys think?

WOW 2 on a sled deck and a couple on a trailer. Might be a little cozy in the cab :) but if you split the fuel 4 ways be very economical

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW 2 on a sled deck and a couple on a trailer. Might be a little cozy in the cab :) but if you split the fuel 4 ways be very economical

No doubt ;)
hahaha

others can take their car

Hey, i'm just thrown out the offer that i was given today.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

He wants $3500 for it.

what do you guys think?

That would be a great huntin truck, nice:beer:

motrhed

Reaction score

He wants $3500 for it.

what do you guys think?

The price is not bad, you could buy allot of gas with the money you save on buying a newer truck. However, I've owned six 350 powered GM's ranging from '77 thru '94 models and they are not the most efficient for heavy hauling or towing. A '78 1 ton also rides like a brick on a frozen road... not very comfortable compared to today's HD trucks.

If I towed and hauled more frequently I would own a diesel, but with my average of under 10,000 KM per year, I just can't justify the added cost of a diesel pick-up ($10 grand more to buy new, extra maintenance costs, fuel prices, etc).
I have a "paid for" fully loaded 2004 Chev 2500HD (9200 lb GVW) 6.0L, ext cab, long box, that has air bags, a Banks exhaust, Air Raid C/A intake, & a Hypertech programmer. The mods (especially the Banks system) made a huge difference in power, torque, and fuel economy.
At the heaviest I haul a very roomy 9'2" Corsair truck camper (11'10" tall on the truck) and tow a 16' enclosed trailer. Without a head wind, it is quite comfortable at 110 - 120 KM/H. Hills definitely make it work harder, but it's not too bad. I don't want to know what my mileage is loaded like this, so I have never checked it.
Last year I took the truck and fully loaded camper up to Alaska, the Yukon, and B.C. I ran a total of 9000KM which included some massive hills (up to 20% grade) and the truck performed awesome. It cost just shy of $2400 in fuel and I had payed up to $1.49/L :eek:at one point.
Sure I would like the big power of a diesel, but it all comes down to what suits a person's overall use and financial commitment.:twocents:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fact: 99% of people who think a diesel costs more to operate have never owned a diesel :d

Last time I checked the only extra maintaince on a diesel is the fuel filter, which by dodges book is $15 every 24,000km. That really does hurt the bank, I think I need a loan to maintain my diesel. How much are spark plugs?!??! I bet they are 5x more then fuel filters.....not to mention gassers still got em.

O yea, $110 for synthetic oil change every 12,000km. How much is a gasser? I would of spend about $100 based my old gas jobs.

O yea, and I get 16 MPG US in the city rolling on 38" mud terrains.....show me any gasser that gets anywhere close to that. Most gas jobs are lucky to get that STOCK.

Do your math and research. But 99% of people who have owned and pulled with a diesel won't go back to a gasser. Some people with gassers like them, but they don't know how well a diesel pulls. If you put a good load behind a gasser in the mountains it will keep speed at best up a steep grade, with a diesel you can pass people like nothing up steep grades with a heavy trailer behind, good luck on a gasser.....And the diesel will get leaps and bounds better mileage. And adding things like programmers, intakes, etc are 10x more benefical on a diesel for better pulling. It's like comparing a stock sled to a turbo......you cannot compare them they are far superior in everyway.

And all diesels in those years are not compareable either. Buy a Cummins and you'll never look back.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crooklyn,

A couple things here, I would be leery to start a diesel for 10 km. Also, not sure what your budget is but the age group of truck your looking at is getting old. Actually your getting into the prime age for injectors, fuel pumps, tranny's and head gaskets. For example, a head gasket job for a duramax is over $5000. If you do not do your own oil changes a diesel is over $100 to get it done. I would hate see you have this added expense a month after you bought the truck. In this light an older gas job is cheaper even if you burn more fuel. I bought a brand new crate 5.3litre motor for $5000.

Do not go for anything under a 3/4 and if you go for the diesel in your age group, make sure you get maintenance records and a good inspection completed. And, buy a $500 beater for the 10km trips.

Good Luck

That's why you don't buy a duramax. The ONLY time you'll loose a headgasket in a Cummins is if your adding a lot of power or it has big miles it is possible, but that's 400,000km+. Same goes with injectors. The 98.5-02 had bad lift pumps, $500 fix. The VP44 was only bad for going out because people didn't monitor a weak lift pump and it took out the injector pump. Other then that, the Cummins will not give you any problems 99.9999% of the time.

I wouldn't even think twice buying a Cummins that was half way maintainced with 300,000km on it again, i've had one and they still run like new. It will still outlast 99% of gas engines by far.

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH2NmxXEUJQ[/media]

I found this guys videos very informative before i bought my diesel. (5.9 cummins btw) There are alot of videos on his website as well.

Wrong thread sorry guys.

Last edited:

motrhed

Reaction score
Fact: 99% of people who think a diesel costs more to operate have never owned a diesel :d

Last time I checked the only extra maintaince on a diesel is the fuel filter, which by dodges book is $15 every 24,000km. That really does hurt the bank, I think I need a loan to maintain my diesel. How much are spark plugs?!??! I bet they are 5x more then fuel filters.....not to mention gassers still got em.

O yea, $110 for synthetic oil change every 12,000km. How much is a gasser? I would of spend about $100 based my old gas jobs.

O yea, and I get 16 MPG US in the city rolling on 38" mud terrains.....show me any gasser that gets anywhere close to that. Most gas jobs are lucky to get that STOCK.

Do your math and research. But 99% of people who have owned and pulled with a diesel won't go back to a gasser. Some people with gassers like them, but they don't know how well a diesel pulls. If you put a good load behind a gasser in the mountains it will keep speed at best up a steep grade, with a diesel you can pass people like nothing up steep grades with a heavy trailer behind, good luck on a gasser.....And the diesel will get leaps and bounds better mileage. And adding things like programmers, intakes, etc are 10x more benefical on a diesel for better pulling. It's like comparing a stock sled to a turbo......you cannot compare them they are far superior in everyway.

And all diesels in those years are not compareable either. Buy a Cummins and you'll never look back.

I guess that I am in the 1% :)because I have owned diesels in Ford's, Chev's, and Dodge. The Ford had awesome power, 16 mpg empty or loaded, but the trans and clutch were $hit and cost nothing but $$$$ to keep together. The Chev diesel... well... I'm not even going to talk about that (pre-Duramax). The Cummins in the Dodge was by far the best engine in a decent truck (not as comfy or durable as a Chev). It worked perfectly for the job I used it for at the time (120,000 highway km/year). When I owned this Dodge, diesel was cheaper than gasoline and this truck got great mileage (1000 km/tank). Today, diesel is about the same if not more expensive than gas plus the NEW diesels with all the emission crap get $hitty mileage (9 to 16 mpg is the average I have heard) and you pay an extra $10,000 for that extra power/torque. For $10,000 a gas engine can be modified (exhaust, programmer, intake) for more power and still have money left over for gas/insurance/accessories.
For FREQUENT HEAVY TOWING diesels are the way to go, but for most people a gas truck would suffice because they don't use their diesel for it's intended purpose.

Regarding maintenance... I have never owned a gas engine that needs 12L of oil!! A 4.4L jug of Mobil 1 oil costs about $40, a GM 6.0L gas engine needs 5.7L including filter, a 5.9L Cummins requires twice that mount of oil... you do the math!
Fuel filters are typically replaced more frequently than in a gas engine.
Plus, I have never had to replace a costly "injector pump" on a gas engine and failed fuel injectors are less common with gas.
Transmission failures are less common with gas powerplants VS diesel.
Gas engines are lighter than most diesels therefore front suspension & steering components seem to last longer.
Add all this up and potential maintenance is more expensive than a common gas engine. The savings with a diesel come into play when you use it to haul/tow heavy loads regularly and/or keep it for a long time... 300,000. km+.

Top Bottom