top posters

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you are getting some bad information. I know no young farmers that spend the winters in the US or Mexico. The his particular farmer doesn’t holiday: he used to go on a couple sledding trips a year but he’s not in shape for that anymore. I know a couple summers ago he and his wife drove down the west coast of the US for 10 days. He has no livestock to hold him back. Most with livestock take no holidays. The he farmers you are talking about are retired or close to it and have transitioned the farm to the kids or other family members. As far as insurance it’s not free Doug. We pay for insurance to protect against loss. It’s not cheap either but when you have hundreds of thousand dollars invested in crops it helps you to sleep at night. A hundred percent crop loss without insurance would either sink a farmer or at the very least put them in a precarious position financially. All my toys , car, sleds, RV were all derived from my dealership and subsequent work after I worked at other dealerships. 95% of my sleds I have had were dealer demos or later on sold to me at bone cost. By trading yearly I could almost ride for free. In summary it here are a lot more farmers that struggle yearly to pay the bills than you would imagine. Especially young farmers. The past 6 years have been difficult around our area especially. 4 of the last 6 have been drought years. This one was a large scale hail loss year.
This is pretty close….

Although as farm sizes grow, there is becoming a new class of young farmers. As farm sizes grow past the traditional 2-3000 ac to 6-10,000 ac (or more), there are plenty of young guys with crazy disposable income.

Top Bottom