Summer pastimes...how to pass summertime

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally on holidays! A bit of touring around central AB with the family scheduled. Had some minor surgery taken care or so that it doesn't interfere with Winter. Been riding the bike around a fair bit. May have to pull the sleds out and give them a pull! With the minimal amount of riding we got in last year there is not much to do on them to get them ready for the season.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta do some lightweight modz, ie.lose some weight and get my cardio up again.the rider is the most important part of the sled in my opinion!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've started! Treadmill is getting a daily workout, pumping a little iron with the arms, and I have lost 6 pounds so far. Eating healthier, further/faster distances, and inclines will be scheduled in. I will say it is sweet to be able to train at the elevation we live at and that is one of the big things that I find with the flatlanders that come out; they get tired so easily due to the higher elevations that we ride.

Must be a real pita riding in Colorado at their super high elevations!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've started! Treadmill is getting a daily workout, pumping a little iron with the arms, and I have lost 6 pounds so far. Eating healthier, further/faster distances, and inclines will be scheduled in. I will say it is sweet to be able to train at the elevation we live at and that is one of the big things that I find with the flatlanders that come out; they get tired so easily due to the higher elevations that we ride.

Must be a real pita riding in Colorado at their super high elevations!

That's awesome Doug, glad to hear that.
The elevation change is one factor, but so is being out of shape. I see more sledders out there huffin and puffin because they are plainly FAT and out of shape LAZY. Its a fairly common thing in the sledding community. Some guys ride quiet well, imagine if they were in shape LOL, it might open up a whole new world of sled and sledding option's that are now unachievable cause they are too weak and out of shape. haha
Now don't make it a trend but a life style change, all year round.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta do some lightweight modz, ie.lose some weight and get my cardio up again.the rider is the most important part of the sled in my opinion!
Yup me too. Lacrosse season is almost done and once things cool down in September I'll start bootcamp and badminton again.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I'm like an Olympian; fairly decent shape for my age and when the big game comes (it happens every year around the first part of November), I put on a training spurt for 3-4 months to fine tune the shape I'm already in.

What about you? How is your cardiovascular shape?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm like an Olympian; fairly decent shape for my age and when the big game comes (it happens every year around the first part of November), I put on a training spurt for 3-4 months to fine tune the shape I'm already in.

What about you? How is your cardiovascular shape?

I've alway had a form of regular fitness program, over the years its been changed up and adapted to suit the life style and what ever my endeavor might be.
From being in the Arm forces, to SAR's member and advid out doors enthusiast like hiking, telemark skiing. It keeps me going in keeping up with the young lol.
Today mostly use my gym in my basement and try to get out a couple times a week on my mountain bike. I generally bike in early morning around 5am for an hour and in evening will use the gym.
The mountain bike does wonders on your legs and cardio and i highly enjoy doing it. While i use the gym mostly for strengthening the core and upper body and keeping flexible.
While people beoitch about sled weights, why do you think i have such a great time on the turbo Yamaha. Weight is not an issue, nor endurance when your fit to handle it. I do get a chuckle at guys riding the light weights pooping out and catching their breath LOL.

Its funny how some people are, some are just not happy unless they have some sort of motor to sit on and drive them self around with.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keeping farm yard in order, bit of camping and boating, keep tree stand lanes clear for hunting season, build more tree stand locations, keep kids busy, drive the hell out of the hot rod, some dirt biking, visit some family, fishing, some reno work at house in Edmonton to keep wifey happy, keep wifey happy.
And I work a 9/5 sift out of town - never ever have enough time till I say fugit and crack a couple beer!
Finding enough time is the issue. lol

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's awesome Doug, glad to hear that.
The elevation change is one factor, but so is being out of shape. I see more sledders out there huffin and puffin because they are plainly FAT and out of shape LAZY. Its a fairly common thing in the sledding community. Some guys ride quiet well, imagine if they were in shape LOL, it might open up a whole new world of sled and sledding option's that are now unachievable cause they are too weak and out of shape. haha

Speaking of new worlds, Just imagine if you didn't ride a 800 lb sled! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hang out at our camp for most of the summer, lots of boating, a bit of fishing, then the fall is hunting

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Work 7-4 with upwards of 30 hrs ot some weeks, plus carting 2 kids around, plus Reno's for happy wife, plus jamming, and camping and general life duties.
Guess it's time to add some more cardio haha.

Summers are busy and go by fast.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol now now, you know he gets testy about the heavy sled thing

That thing feels twice as heavy when he burries it to the bars along the trail.

Doesn't matter how fit anyone is that thing digs big holes! I will happily be the guy who doesn't do anything to stay in shape and ride a sled under 500lbs any day lol.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol now now, you know he gets testy about the heavy sled thing
Careful you two, he might get testy on all this tank talk
That thing feels twice as heavy when he burries it to the bars along the trail.

Doesn't matter how fit anyone is that thing digs big holes! I will happily be the guy who doesn't do anything to stay in shape and ride a sled under 500lbs any day lol.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Careful you two, he might get testy on all this tank talk

In hopes of getting this thread back on track...here a picture of the 156"x15"x3" I just finishing installing. She's quite the right fit around the drivers and to get it tight with stock rear idlers. Once it stretches I am going to need a big wheel kit

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do I pass summer?????? like a kidney stone... Just kidding.. kind of.. Fly fishing, working working working working... and more work, (I work with conflicts between bears, cougar etc and humans) We golf, (k husband golfs, I hit that fricken white ball, swear and drink beer a lot) Garden, chill in our pool, pickle stuff do archery and dirt bike (sold my bike so I need a new one for next season) Pretty busy this summer with another one of my kids recovering from Knee surgery, but all in all it has been a pretty good summer.
fishing.jpg

13413050_10153728486267993_2075965473805981034_n.jpg

12376662_10153543511607993_4086854808883988877_n.jpg
13001272_10153619925762993_2340511535200638146_n.jpg

13263890_10153677647857993_7809929044566514888_n.jpg

13612204_10153795812382993_1119796031385304001_n.jpg
13620357_10153828478452993_8141339355976275224_n.jpg

Top Bottom