Some Help With Picking a Sport Quad

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welll just like it says looking to spend from 2000 to 3500 on an older sport quad so far I am seeing the LTZ 400 the Honda TRX 400 or the Polaris Outlaw... does anyone have any ride time on these quads finding them all in the price range I am after just not sure on the best choice. It will be for trail and the dunes a little mud and a little jumping any help would be great thanks boys

Shifty

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If you go honda I'd go 300ex....My brother and a buddy had 400 ex's and had issues with them, another buddy had a 2002 300ex, put that thing through hell and back over and over and it never let him down...plus the 300 has reverse where as the 400 dosen't...I never noticed the 400's outrunning the 300 either, maybe on straight pavement drag but on the trails the 300 was more agile and like I said before reverse comes in handy...

Just my 2 cents.....

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your interested I made a deal on a KFX 700 Kawasaki and had to back out as it was way too much quad for what I wanted.It has less than 100 hours on it and is well worth the money,I know the guy and you wont find a better deal and lots of power!
Let me know,His rock bottom price is 3800.00!
catmando!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI

The Suzuuki LTZ400, strong motor, great transmission packed in strong frame, and yes it has reverse......

The Honda 400's had some frame trouble, but which ever one you pick, check for cracks at any of the welds, Look at the underside, check the swing arm for cracks and brg play. Test drive the quad and shift it up and down a few times checking to see the shifts are smooth....Things like spockets and chains are maintence items and easily replaced but bent axles are expense to replace...If you can pull the air cleaner and have a look into the carbs....gives you an idea of how its running and how it was maintained. Listen for valve noise, they all require valve adjustment at some point. If possible do a compressiona nd leak down test.

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousins got a 300ex for sale, Im not sure of the exact price buts i know its in your price range. PM me if you are interested.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and tips boys going to look at and take out a LTZ this weekend same guy now owns a 400 Honda as well said he would let me rip on her see what my thoughts are my first quad any other tips on what to look out for would be great

Shifty

Top Bottom