Snow and Mud GPS course

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2nd time now for me. I go down with the group from cycle works. Glen Colbert and the crew. Already have it planned for Feb again. cant wait for it to snow. the wife and I bought new 2007 mxz renegades. price is reasonable for bus, the haul your sleds and 6 nights accomodation

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
smayo, is there a web site or link where one can get info on a trip like this? Is it open to others or an invite only type trip?
Thanks, Culvert

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is rocky mountain recreational tours edmonton..........but I am having trouble finding the right e-mail address. I will get a number/name and post it tomorrow.........dont have the info at work

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many guys out there actually use their GPS and download to a computer?

Have you saved the tracks and waypoints of your trips?

Maybe we can email these to set up a complete Alberta Map with proper printable maps with wayponts on them...in PDF format which can then be in the Snow and Mud trail section.

Key point is the Staging Area Waypoint as most trails go everywhere and may not many more trails than what are on your tracks.

If you want to, lets try this, send me your Garmin (only one I can open right now) tracks & waypoints and I will bring them up onto a map/save and then post to site.
Brianbeebe@shaw.ca

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is rocky mountain recreational tours edmonton..........but I am having trouble finding the right e-mail address. I will get a number/name and post it tomorrow.........dont have the info at work

Talk to the guys at the west end Cycle Works, they can hook you up with Rocky Mountain Tours.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Just wanted to comment on battery life of the gps radio combo,you have to carry extra batteries as they will not make a whole day of riding.I wanted to purchase them but that was a deterent!My two cents!
catmando!

You are right about batteries I use 2 AA batteries every trip out
My 76S will only last 6 hours in the cold snowmobiling & 8 hours quadding
But I buy the case of AA batteries at Costco for about $15.00 so not a big expense.

My Rhino 520 has the ION rechargable on it and I can get about 96 hours out of it before recharging

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many guys out there actually use their GPS and download to a computer?

Have you saved the tracks and waypoints of your trips?

Maybe we can email these to set up a complete Alberta Map with proper printable maps with wayponts on them...in PDF format which can then be in the Snow and Mud trail section.

Key point is the Staging Area Waypoint as most trails go everywhere and may not many more trails than what are on your tracks.

If you want to, lets try this, send me your Garmin (only one I can open right now) tracks & waypoints and I will bring them up onto a map/save and then post to site.
Brianbeebe@shaw.ca

I track almost every ride I do, even if I already have the trail. And I download and save them.

We can upload ".gpx" files to this site; see the Maps and Staging areas. Most gps software can import and export .gpx files.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok Ron,You gotta get the ball rolling cause I need a discount.My brand new etrex legend packed it in on me on our trip tp Long Island lake and I'm Poed but I guess this gives me a chance to upgrade to a colour cx version.In the meantime I got to check and see if 6 months is over the warrenty.The toggle switch will only toggle up and down ,not left and right.Anyone else have this problem?
catmando!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'm in the same boat, my 3 year old GPS died in the spring and I miss having one.
Ok Ron,You gotta get the ball rolling cause I need a discount.My brand new etrex legend packed it in on me on our trip tp Long Island lake and I'm Poed but I guess this gives me a chance to upgrade to a colour cx version.In the meantime I got to check and see if 6 months is over the warrenty.The toggle switch will only toggle up and down ,not left and right.Anyone else have this problem?
catmando!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I'll have a date, price, and time for this event by next weekend posted on here. It will be in Edmonton, on the Southside on a Saturday. It is only a 3 - 4 hr Course with some hands on. There will be some deals on GPS units as well, then you can purchace them through the vendor as well before and after the event.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll have a date, price, and time for this event by next weekend posted on here. It will be in Edmonton, on the Southside on a Saturday. It is only a 3 - 4 hr Course with some hands on. There will be some deals on GPS units as well, then you can purchace them through the vendor as well before and after the event.

I highly recommend the Garmin GPS Map76Cx. It has the mapping features, auto routing (didn't think I needed it, but its like heated seats; once you have it, it sure it nice!), software that you can download all your tracks and waypoints into your computer, color features, 2AA battery / 12V power connection, 128MB expandable memory (microSD cards) and best of all, USB connection. My GPS Map76 I had (before I lost it) only had 8MB memory, and you could only download a few maps into the memory. Couple that with a serial port connection (instead of USB) and it would take up to 2 hrs to download 8MB worth of maps. To put that into perspective, 8MB would only cover, say, the detailed area of Edmonton and surrounding area (detailed down to street names, services, accomodations, etc.). With the 128MB card, I have all of Alberta downloaded into my unit, with lots of memory available. Handy if you are quadding / travelling to many different areas.

I use it alot for my work (oilfield construction / reclamation), and I think that it's the best overall unit to have. There are not many more features that other models have that would be necessary.

GPS Central has them listed at $398. A little pricey but once you learn the basic features, definately well worth the investment. You won't be disappointed.

GPS Central also has the RAM mounts which you can buy for almost any type of handheld GPS unit. They are basically Ball-and-Socket type mounts that you can use to mount your unit to an ATV (or sled, but then need to be concerned with cold weather conditions), and quickly connect and disconnect.

My :twocents:. You can PM me if you have any questions.

tekim:D

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why wouldnt you go with the 60cx,it has all the same capabilities and is half the size.The 76cx is a great gps but its a monster and the 60cx is geared more toward the backcountry enthusiast.This is what I found out through a lot of reasearch but I may have missed something.
Just my two cents!
catmando!

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why wouldnt you go with the 60cx,it has all the same capabilities and is half the size.The 76cx is a great gps but its a monster and the 60cx is geared more toward the backcountry enthusiast.This is what I found out through a lot of reasearch but I may have missed something.
Just my two cents!
catmando!

from GPS Central said:
GPSMAP 76Cx & GPSMAP 60Cx DIFFERENCES
Q: "What are the main differences between the GPSMAP 76Cx and the GPSMAP 60Cx?"
A: "Included data card (the 76Cx includes a 128MB microSD data card, the 60Cx includes a 64MB card); physical size, weight and shape; floatability (the 76Cx will float; the 60Cx will not)."

Both units are listed at $398 at GPS Central. Very minor differences in size, weight and display.

I don't know the 60Cx, but I know that my GPSMAP76Cx floats in the muskeg!:D

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
See how much smarter I am now LOL!It is a 60csx map I think they both would float.I guess this course will definatly help me out.I'm liking that setup murminator has!
catmando!
I know I'm close to buying a new one and I want to cover everything I can so the more info the better!
THX Tekim!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too would be interested in a course. Picked up a new GPS last year. Works well and still learing. If I can speed up that process I would be happy.

I also have a Etrex Venture for sale if anyone is interested. Willing to let it go cheap, want it off my desk.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I too would be interested in a course. Picked up a new GPS last year. Works well and still learing. If I can speed up that process I would be happy.

I also have a Etrex Venture for sale if anyone is interested. Willing to let it go cheap, want it off my desk.

HEY ZRRRR; WHAT IS AN "ETREX VENTURE"?? IS THAT A GPS?? WHAT YOU ASKING?

Top Bottom