Sledders threatened with gun

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As stated sleds do damage crops even hay fields. The whole point really has nothing to do with crop damage rather this attitude that many people have towards others. I must admit in my generation, early 30's and younger, we seem to have a huge lack of respect for other people and their property. Its rather disappointing, and im not saying that these sledders fall in that group either. What I am saying is that the RCMP could rather care less about what really seems to be a petty crime of trespassing. I fully agree we have the right to protect ourselves and property at all costs. Clearly the farmer felt he was justified by having a gun, because he is older or alone or just wanted to intimidate them. None the less its his land to protect. As stated in the article his cat had been run over by someone on a sled. I still stand behind the farmer protecting his property, gun or no gun.

Until more stuff like this takes place people will continue to do whatever they want. The resect of others needs to make a return.

this i agree with, emotions where running high, as drd says gun over shoulder i have no problem with, gun used in a threatening manner is different. the sledders were in the wrong, we can only go off the info given. no idea why they were in neighbors yard? another wrong. the cat run over could be true or not, like the sledders l'm lost or looking for dog? this incident was in sask not alberta, and as stated unless posted there is nothing wrong with crossing farm fields.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This incident is typical of individual's that have NO respect of other's and is very typical in today's society, especially in North America.
Even on this forum you can see the lack of respect with member's in their comment's.
Though i feel for the old guy, he will be charged, he was in the wrong.

I was in court about 12yrs ago for being robbed, the individual was caught red handed on my property.
Here were some FACT's that came up that i did not know.
Trespassing is not an enforceble offence on ANY property unless the property has a 6ft fence around it, signage of private property or no trespassing at every 10-12ft along the fence line.
This means according to the law that anyone CAN walk across, drive across or ride across your property and you cannot legally stop them.
At the time all the lawyer could charge this individual was pocession of stolen property, even though i tried to have him charged with trespassing. He basically walk away with community service for one month.

Now on the property i allow anyone to come across as they please, all i ask is to make sure gates are closed and respect the property. I have signs on the property gates and a phone number. Plus a no hunting sign that bylaw must be complied with.

BTW here is a little side note to property owner's i also found out. Anyone could setup camp or move on your property(like park on it to live on) and you cannot legally remove them if they do not wish to go. You would require a court order to do so legally. Any other mean's could get you in trouble with the law if police and law got involved.
If you called the police, all they can do is asked them trespassers politely to leave but cannot make them with out a court order.

Maybe the act has changed since you were in court but if someone is on your land, all you have to do is ask them to leave (given notice). Under Section 4 - they are committing a crime of trespass immediately if they do not leave once they have been given notice. In order to prohibit any activity, all you need is a sign at the entrance with a line through it, showing that the activity is not allowed.

Trespass Act:
[h=4]Trespass prohibited[/h]4 (1) Subject to section 4.1, a person commits an offence if the person does any of the following:
(a) enters premises that are enclosed land;
(b) enters premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the entry is prohibited;
(c) engages in activity on or in premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the activity is prohibited.
(2) A person found on or in premises that are enclosed land is presumed not to have the consent of an occupier or an authorized person to be there.
(3) Subject to section 4.1, a person who has been directed, either orally or in writing, by an occupier of premises or an authorized person to
(a) leave the premises, or
(b) stop engaging in an activity on or in the premises,
commits an offence if the person
(c) does not leave the premises or stop the activity, as applicable, as soon as practicable after receiving the direction, or
(d) re-enters the premises or resumes the activity on or in the premises.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry can not agree here. This is a FARMING AREA !!! People make there living off of the land.....There is no "we are lost thought we are on CROWN LAND" ...BS. Any one that can buy a sled must realize, that the majority of that area appears to be PRIVATELY owned farm land. There are not vast tracts of open wilderness crown land here,where it can be dfficult to see obvious boundaries....These are fenced Quarter sections for fawk sake,who would they think owns them ?

It is the riders responsibility at all times to know where he is riding.........Again cross into a Federal Park and see if that "no sign BS works..! Don`t ask me how i know this to be true....$$$$$

WE are confusing two seperate issues here,If the farmer comes with an Abrams tank it really has nothing to do with the fact that they should not be on that property without permission. It .really is that simple ......

If they were that ignorant (hard to belive) as not to realize this was private farm land (What else would it be?),then the first thing outa his mouth should not be cuss at the land owner !!

Last edited:

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the amount of people on here taking sides with the farmer. No part of what he did was proper or correct. We don't know the rest of the story as this may have been this particular sledders first time across the field. Riding back home not once does a sledder ask for permission to cross a farmers land unless it is posted as no trespassing. The only crop you're going to hurt would be winter wheat if its planted.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the same a-hole that shot the neighbours dog 20ft in front of the dogs owner.

I would have ran the bastard over with my sled and put him in his truck and burnt it to the ground.

A ****ing shotgun? Seriously?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the amount of people on here taking sides with the farmer. No part of what he did was proper or correct. We don't know the rest of the story as this may have been this particular sledders first time across the field. Riding back home not once does a sledder ask for permission to cross a farmers land unless it is posted as no trespassing. The only crop you're going to hurt would be winter wheat if its planted.

I ride around saskatoon. Farmers fields forever.

Not too many no trespassing signs. Ive seen one field of winter wheat signs.

Also those saying its a farming community and these sledders need to stay the fawk off their land are idiots.

Who the fawk in saskatchewan do you think own sleds? Farmers! Everyone in highschool i knew that sledded or now that go out west or are at the sled shows are majority farmers. So where the hell do they ride?

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was raised on a farm and know exactly how people have no respect for land owners.

I live on an acreage now and have fields all around me. I do not ever ride my sled accross a field for ANY reason - I have respect for what somebody worked hard to obtain.

I know for certain that for all big talkers on here that if someone showed up on your lawn or small patch of grass you worked hard to obtain with their sled, truck, tractor or what ever you would be outside immediately flipping out about the lack of respect your showing them, cops would be called, dog sicked maybe gun in hand.

Most people now a days talk tough on the net worry about "their"rights (feelings) In real life are cowardly and have no regard for other people or property.

To bad about the farmer thinking he had to bring his gun, he's going to pay for that.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Also those saying its a farming community and these sledders need to stay the fawk off their land are idiots.

Who the fawk in saskatchewan do you think own sleds? Farmers! Everyone in highschool i knew that sledded or now that go out west or are at the sled shows are majority farmers. So where the hell do they ride?
On thier land............

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Exactly i actually was reading this forum on my way up to work yesterday from saskatchewan to alberta so i started paying attention to the fields and i don't believe i seen a single field with a no trespassing sign. Even if it is fenced you can still sled across it as long as there is no signs. Everyone saying its private property have no leg to stand on unless its posted in the correct spots. I also find it funny that if a sledder is riding across a farmers field and hits a old piece of equipment or even a dug out ditch and gets hurt can sue the farmer lol. There is almost no such thing as private property anymore.

SKDeuce

Reaction score

I grew up in southern Sask. and it sounds like it's a lot different than Alberta. There is no "Crown Land" here, except maybe the community pastures. We rode on everyone else's land and they rode on ours and no one cares. The odd couple of people would put up no trespassing signs, and you just go around those quarters. The key is to have respect when riding, if it's posted or fenced, stay out. If there's cattle in it, stay out. And give peoples yards a wide berth, or better yet, ride on the other side of the grid. I now live just south of Saskatoon and follow the same rules. The law is what it is, unless its posted or fenced and signed I can ride there until I am asked to leave and same goes for our land at the farm. What do I care if someone is sledding across our canola stubble 10 miles from our yard? Now quads are a different story all together for crop damage, but not once have we had a strip in a wheat field that didn't grow because a sled rode across it in the middle of January.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farm.jpg

Saw this and thought it appropiate...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe the act has changed since you were in court but if someone is on your land, all you have to do is ask them to leave (given notice). Under Section 4 - they are committing a crime of trespass immediately if they do not leave once they have been given notice. In order to prohibit any activity, all you need is a sign at the entrance with a line through it, showing that the activity is not allowed.

Trespass Act:
Trespass prohibited

4 (1) Subject to section 4.1, a person commits an offence if the person does any of the following:
(a) enters premises that are enclosed land;
(b) enters premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the entry is prohibited;
(c) engages in activity on or in premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the activity is prohibited.
(2) A person found on or in premises that are enclosed land is presumed not to have the consent of an occupier or an authorized person to be there.
(3) Subject to section 4.1, a person who has been directed, either orally or in writing, by an occupier of premises or an authorized person to
(a) leave the premises, or
(b) stop engaging in an activity on or in the premises,
commits an offence if the person
(c) does not leave the premises or stop the activity, as applicable, as soon as practicable after receiving the direction, or
(d) re-enters the premises or resumes the activity on or in the premises.
Yes it was a long time ago, things might have changed since.
i think enforcement is harder then most think even with certain policies in place.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At this time,i wish to rest my case.................

Now i got a for instance for ya neville

Say i'm sleeping in my trailer at a campsite,, all of a sudden i hear gun shots and my quad outside the door start up, lets say around 3:30. The crazy bastages have what looks like foil hats on there heads , am i justifed to shoot those two drunken fools, they have guns, maybe stealing my quad. And may not be sharing there beer? Or heaven forbid said shots go through someones trailer. Should i shoot to kill before next bullet kills someone in the area. Am i justified?
If i hadn't have intervened the next morning someones day wouldn 't have been going very good

People do stupid ****

So far capital punishment doesn't apply to petty trespass

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in southern Sask. and it sounds like it's a lot different than Alberta. There is no "Crown Land" here, except maybe the community pastures. We rode on everyone else's land and they rode on ours and no one cares. The odd couple of people would put up no trespassing signs, and you just go around those quarters. The key is to have respect when riding, if it's posted or fenced, stay out. If there's cattle in it, stay out. And give peoples yards a wide berth, or better yet, ride on the other side of the grid. I now live just south of Saskatoon and follow the same rules. The law is what it is, unless its posted or fenced and signed I can ride there until I am asked to leave and same goes for our land at the farm. What do I care if someone is sledding across our canola stubble 10 miles from our yard? Now quads are a different story all together for crop damage, but not once have we had a strip in a wheat field that didn't grow because a sled rode across it in the middle of January.

Very fair comments indeed. I understand what you are getting at......I have farmed most of my life so i can see both sides. On the other hand though not all farmers feel this way.....Also there is the issue of theft and lability. I know i pay a HEFTY insurance premium to protect my self in case some one does trespass on my land and hurt them selves. Do the sledders contribute to this on each piece of land they encounter....
.WE have all heard the stories of land owners getting sued when some one hurts them selves on someone else`s land.What we have to realize here is it is not (0ffroaders) land........
All this will do is lead to more confrontations,more quarters off limits,more no tresspass signs etc etc =In other words LESS places to ride !!
The notion that this is a right,not a privalage has got to come under some scrutiny .....IMO.

SKDeuce

Reaction score
Very fair comments indeed. I understand what you are getting at......I have farmed most of my life so i can see both sides. On the other hand though not all farmers feel this way.....Also there is the issue of theft and lability. I know i pay a HEFTY insurance premium to protect my self in case some one does trespass on my land and hurt them selves. Do the sledders contribute to this on each piece of land they encounter....
.WE have all heard the stories of land owners getting sued when some one hurts them selves on someone else`s land.What we have to realize here is it is not (0ffroaders) land........
All this will do is lead to more confrontations,more quarters off limits,more no tresspass signs etc etc =In other words LESS places to ride !!
The notion that this is a right,not a privalage has got to come under some scrutiny .....IMO.

All types of insurance premiums are hefty these days to protect us from idiots. In the fall we take into consideration where we are storing machinery and even have marked equipment like cultivators that are likely to get covered with snow with stakes to help avoid accidents. Its a cost of doing business, no different than Walmart salting their sidewalks to prevent slip and falls. I also think part of the problem is that they would have the ability to sue you in the first place unless you intentionally set something up to put them in danger like a wire or an upside down cultivator (rumor I heard). If I am riding across someones land and hit a drainage ditch and wreck my self or my sled, no way am I suing, I put myself in the situation.

As with everything in life it is the a-holes that ruin it for everyone. I agree, it is a privilege, and one that will be further restricted the more this happens.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have this same problem on a piece of ranch land that we own but do not live on . a fellow that lives nearby knows it is private property ,has cattle on it is posted and fenced ,insists on cutting the wire and blazing down my fields . have talked with him told him to stay the hell out ,what his actions incur as far as liabilty for myself with my cows getting out. neighbors crop damage , out on hiway etc. .still will not listen ,so went through the whole court order bull**** ,lawyer at my expense etc. .still have to get a law enforcement officer to actually catch him in the act of trespassing before the court order has any legal standing .if i catch him it is a "i said ,,he said " situation.. what a farce. thing that kills me is these guys that think they are entitled to be on my private property. if you want to ride on private land buy some .. this is in bc

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have this same problem on a piece of ranch land that we own but do not live on . a fellow that lives nearby knows it is private property ,has cattle on it is posted and fenced ,insists on cutting the wire and blazing down my fields . have talked with him told him to stay the hell out ,what his actions incur as far as liabilty for myself with my cows getting out. neighbors crop damage , out on hiway etc. .still will not listen ,so went through the whole court order bull**** ,lawyer at my expense etc. .still have to get a law enforcement officer to actually catch him in the act of trespassing before the court order has any legal standing .if i catch him it is a "i said ,,he said " situation.. what a farce. thing that kills me is these guys that think they are entitled to be on my private property. if you want to ride on private land buy some .. this is in bc

can you use trail cameras to catch him in the act?

Top Bottom