Rogers vs. Bell/Telus

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been a Virgin Mobile customer for 20+ years and am on a no contract, bring-your-own-phone plan. I typically get good offers or negotiate a better rate with their customer retention dept. every couple years. I'm generally satisfied, however they are nothing compared prior to being acquired by Bell. I also use what was formerly Shaw cable for my home internet on 2-year contracts. I'm fairly happy with them.
Since Rogers acquired Shaw, I'm now getting offers from Rogers mobility that beat Virgin's. Rogers supposedly has deals in place for Starlink-to-mobile set to be released this year. Pricing / rate structure has yet to be released, but I'm interested.
I generally hear nothing but complaints about Rogers mobile. I had a Rogers company phone 10 years ago, and coverage / signal strength overall was crappy compared to the Bell/Telus network at the time.
What is your opinion on switching to them? I average 5Gb data per month. I'm an iPhone user, will likely never 'subsidize' my phone through a carrier and would only consider a contract if it was an unbeatable deal. Low monthly costs and coverage is priority. The Starlink partnership has me interested, but the pricing may make it non-starter. I would assume it's only a matter of time before Bell/Telus get on board with them too.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pricing would be a big point for sure. Starlink is not cheap for a monthly rate but it is really good service (for us rural folks).

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all suck. Just in different areas. Find where you are using your phone the most and see who is best there.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with rogers and I'm thinking of switching to telus or bell. I'm suppose to have high speed data on my phone, but most if the time I'm below 10mbp. Our neighbour's who is with telus is getting 150mbp. We went to another friend's house about 15 blocks away and they are getting almost 200mbp. When I contacted rogers they said I should be getting better than 10 and that was the last I heard from them. It's not my phone and it's not the area, it's rogers.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find where you are using your phone the most and see who is best there.

That's what I'm asking for feedback from you guys. I'm in the Shuswap area of BC.

I'm with rogers and I'm thinking of switching to telus or bell. I'm suppose to have high speed data on my phone, but most if the time I'm below 10mbp. Our neighbour's who is with telus is getting 150mbp. We went to another friend's house about 15 blocks away and they are getting almost 200mbp. When I contacted rogers they said I should be getting better than 10 and that was the last I heard from them. It's not my phone and it's not the area, it's rogers.

Thanks. that's what I'm looking for. I remember side-by-side comparisons when I had both phones on me that Rogers was almost always crappier. That was a decade ago - I was hoping they had improved.

Pricing would be a big point for sure. Starlink is not cheap for a monthly rate but it is really good service (for us rural folks).

I'm really curious how this will be structured. Will you need both a starlink and rogers subscription? I suspect it will be an add-on to a Rogers wireless plan or possibly pay-per-use. If you need a starlink subscription, it would be a non-starter for me as $150/month to add that feature to mobile phone wouldn't be worth it.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, all depends on where you are. If I was living in Grande Cache, I would be with Roger's. It works on hwy 40 and all down the trunk road and all the hunting areas. Telus has absolutely no service there.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Was with Rogers until it went down for 2 days, the first time, only got a $9 credit, didn't help one but as it crippled by business for 2 days and lost me tens of thousands of future jobs because I was unable to provide my emergency services. Went to Telus and have 0 issues especially after rogers went down again for a few days again, it will happen again too, they don't care, pay up, service sucks. Doesn't say much for Rogers when you cant even use your cell phone in rogers place as the network is busy.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was with Shaw when the switch to Rogers took place. No problems with Shaw, as soon as it went to Rogers my cell signal was less than half, lots of places with no service, dropped calls. Didn't last a month before switching to Koodo. I live outside of Cranbrook.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My telus phone works good all over the Shushwaps.

No idea on the other ones.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have Rogers as finally gave up on Telus putting a tower up in our area. Nice to have full service instead of one bar all the time

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Bell and service is good in the Shuswap area. Haven't used Rogers for over 10 years but service was terrible back then, basically only in cities I'm sure it has improved but does it match Telus/Bell I cannot say from first hand experience.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rogers had no cell service between Hinton and Prince George last time a friend tried it. Nothing in Valemount or Mcbride. When you look on a map, they have way less towers as soon as you leave any city.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rogers had no cell service between Hinton and Prince George last time a friend tried it. Nothing in Valemount or Mcbride. When you look on a map, they have way less towers as soon as you leave any city.

yea they get extended coverage now in some places but its 3G so it may aswell not be anything. Hardly enough to make a phone call. and then if you spend too many days in an extended area zone they call you and basically tell you to switch providers because your costing them too much money on other providers towers

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Telus called me me with a promo last week, 200GB/month, unlimited call/text in north America including Mexico for $50/ month if you take 2 lines, so $100/month plus taxes and fees for plan.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Telus called me me with a promo last week, 200GB/month, unlimited call/text in north America including Mexico for $50/ month if you take 2 lines, so $100/month plus taxes and fees for plan.
Is that bringing your own phone?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Fawk am I ever getting ripped off. My bill is around 130 ish for 1 phone.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay 101 total for 2 phones and 60gb. Call and complain and they will half it for you

Top Bottom