Power outage

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lost power last night around 530pm.
Power is still out. Looking like maybe this afternoon.
Luckily I still had some juice in my little power station from camping. Charged the phone up to 40% from 14%. Then used what was left in thr lap top to keep charging the phone over night. At least I had an alarm clock.

Yesterday the 1st fortis message said power restoration around 830.
So no dinner. A bag of chips and stuff like that.
Then I heard the A&W had power. So went there for some food and got stuff for lunch tomorrow.
Found out. 10:30 was their next restoration prediction. Then around 10pm I checked again. And it said mid night.
so no shower. Off to bed.
Power is still out. Looking like noon.

Guess I'll be tossing the trailer fridge onto propane for the wife to save some stuff.
And I get to go to work smelling like yesterday's work. Ha ha.

I wonder if it's worth having a Generator?
(My little trailer one isn't enough to power much of the house).

Could always be worse.

I'm just glad this isn't -40°C temps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240801_043506_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240801_043506_Chrome.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 64

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks in Eastern Canada have the Genac and other sources of backup power,,, its actually catching on out here in the West...

Brown & Blackouts,,, you'll have too decide what works for you...

We have all kinds of generators at our farm and in town,,, lots of smaller and bigger units depending on whats need'ed...

A rule of thumb is 20% or twice as much of whats needed,,, the back up solution too this is 2 smaller units or 1 big unit...

Sometimes we'll run the big unit then add a smaller unit too 1 or 2 things too lesson the load on the bigger unit...

The nice thing about the smaller units is there easy too move around...
We take them camping,,, set them back in the bush and run them alot...

Generators are useless unless there running every once in awhile too keep them active threw the year...

Fresh fuel is key along with storage and general up keep...

Good luck on what ever you decide...

Western Canada

Don

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks in Eastern Canada have the Genac and other sources of backup power,,, its actually catching on out here in the West...

Brown & Blackouts,,, you'll have too decide what works for you...

We have all kinds of generators at our farm and in town,,, lots of smaller and bigger units depending on whats need'ed...

A rule of thumb is 20% or twice as much of whats needed,,, the back up solution too this is 2 smaller units or 1 big unit...

Sometimes we'll run the big unit then add a smaller unit too 1 or 2 things too lesson the load on the bigger unit...

The nice thing about the smaller units is there easy too move around...
We take them camping,,, set them back in the bush and run them alot...

Generators are useless unless there running every once in awhile too keep them active threw the year...

Fresh fuel is key along with storage and general up keep...

Good luck on what ever you decide...

Western Canada

Don
Cool. I'll google them today.
Thanks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
When we lived in Elkford, we had a 5800 Mitsubishi and the sub panel set up to various circuits in the house. Even at 5800 it wasn’t big enough to power everything. We had lights, freezer/fridge, counter plugs for coffee, TV, etc..
If I were to do it over again I would be looking into the Generac. All automatic, constant feed with NG, and a permanent fixture that looks nice.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a honda 3000 watt generator for emergencies. I use a double male end cord to run power into the house to keep things like the fridge and freezer going.
Do you have something to stop the back feed?

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we lived in Elkford, we had a 5800 Mitsubishi and the sub panel set up to various circuits in the house. Even at 5800 it wasn’t big enough to power everything. We had lights, freezer/fridge, counter plugs for coffee, TV, etc..
If I were to do it over again I would be looking into the Generac. All automatic, constant feed with NG, and a permanent fixture that looks nice.
My sister and BIL have a Generac setup at their farm. She has a home based business, and sometimes doesn’t even know the power has gone out. Their system is about 15 yrs old and has been flawless.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sister and BIL have a Generac setup at their farm. She has a home based business, and sometimes doesn’t even know the power has gone out. Their system is about 15 yrs old and has been flawless.
Looking at their stuff on line. It looks pretty cool.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your power goes out all the time Generac is the way to go for sure. If you're like me and it only goes out once every few years then probably not.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A person can buy a back feed block breaker,,, there not very expensive...

Your local elections can install it cheap...

I like the portable units since We can use them everywhere and anywhere...

I run my generator all winter too keep my truck cab hot...

Arizona hot even at - 40 and - 60 below...

My ceramic heater Will cook the head liner off the roof,,, no windows too clean,,, zero frost on the glass,,, door rubbers and floor mats are bone dry even if I'm in and out of the cab all day...

I normally drive around with both windows down at -20 so long as im not going faster then 60 or 70 mpr...

The heated cab generator is the cats meow in the winter months...

Plus it runs all the electrical components in my truck cab office and the over night staging-areas threw out Western Canada...
20240712_152536.jpg

29 years of traveling all over Our America's and hardly burnt any fuel...

Coast too Coast too Coast too Coast,,, im one of those Self-sufficient folks...

Portable all the way and I can power up the work sites or share power with other where ever they need it...

Last edited:

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have something to stop the back feed?
I turn off the main breaker. Then turn off all the breakers except for the ones I need( if I had a bigger generator I wouldn't have to do this part). So the outlet outside the house is on( breaker). I plug the generator in to that outlet. With the main off and the others on the generator will feed the fridge and other devices. I heard during an power outing you should turn off your breakers anyway.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use a transfer switch, if the power goes out turn on the generator and flip the breakers on the transfer switch. We run our fridge well pump and main floor lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What did you do for work besides pedal?

Oil patch,,, logging,,, road construction and farming along with a few other things...

Generator power is a must traveling here and there threw out Our America's

It adds quality too everyone's life,,, so easy too use and it Eliminates the idea of ruffing it...

Water,,, electricity and food is todays cave-man,,, if a person gets it dialed in it frees Us up too cover ground...
20240713_125449.jpg

My 1000 gen has covered alot of ground...

20211002_122130.jpg

The little generator has saved my @zz more then a few times as well as others...

Yha can't build a great country with out energy,,, ok,,, you can but its much much harder...

Its so handy when we least expect it...

I hope i get too take a generator with me when i pass on,,, it would come in so handy in the after life... lol

I get the stink-eye charging my e-bike in sensitive areas,,, my e-bike is really a carbon bike just like the e-bikes in Calgary...

A big portion of electricity in Calgary and Edmonton is Natural Gas fired...

Its the way our Province runs less the other provinces that feed Us...

Forest fires and Storms can knock out over 1/2 of Our power like nothing,,, more pepole = more demand (s) on Our system resulting in more Black and Brown outs...

If the cities need power they will cut Rural areas too make up for the demand,,, same as Eastern Canada and the in-side Interior along the eastern seaboard...

Been there many a times too see it happen when the hurricane season rolls in...

200 million + pepole in India don't have access too electricity ...

I love traveling Our America's too see whats out there...

Energy is getting push back from the left,,, time will tell who goes with out...

Just a guess is all...

Cheers gang,,, got too run,,, im on the go too bring more power too feed Our America's 1 load at a time...

Don

Top Bottom