looking at new beacons

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we're on the topic of where beacons are placed..... Some people like it around their chest around the ribs. BAD IDEA. If/WHEN you hit the bars having the beacon there is going to make it a very painful experience. Even falling off the sled onto the snow can jab the beacon into your ribs. Just a thought.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulse Barryvox

A few of us have and like them.
Has a heart rate monitor, lets you know who to dig for first in a multiple burial....Hopefully you actually don't have to use that feature!:(

how would you know if the person is not breathing or the beacon is dislodged from its original position when they are buried. that is a nice feature but not sure if i would rely on it. I read something about the s1 having a feature like that reads by magnetic fields( i think) but could not find any more info on it.
any one know anything about that?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how would you know if the person is not breathing or the beacon is dislodged from its original position when they are buried. that is a nice feature but not sure if i would rely on it. I read something about the s1 having a feature like that reads by magnetic fields( i think) but could not find any more info on it.
any one know anything about that?

If the beacon is dislodged from its original position it will not be sending a heart rate signal if it doesn't detect one. Whether or not the person is breathing is not the point. You can stop breathing for a short duration and still be alive, not the case if your heart stops.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the beacon is dislodged from its original position it will not be sending a heart rate signal if it doesn't detect one. Whether or not the person is breathing is not the point. You can stop breathing for a short duration and still be alive, not the case if your heart stops.

i thought it works by movement not by heart rate

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I will put a plug in for the Pieps DSP, it worked very well when I took the avalanche course, it had the farthest range out off all the units there. And in an emergency situation its very easy and works, believe me I know.
If you need a beacon you also need an avalanche course, the 2 part one. Having a beacon also requires proper training it could mean the difference beetween life or death.

Top Bottom