Identification Required?

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine said the RCMP stopped them on their sleds to check for registration and insurance. They were good but one person did not have ID with them. RCMP said that could mean a fine. I didn't know you needed to carry ID with you on your sled. Anyone know for sure if ID is required. As far as I know you don't even need a drivers license to operate a sled in Alberta.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are supossed to have your licence with you. one time I was fishing with my fish licence but no ID had to bring it the next day or he was going to ticket me.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I got stopped last year, had nothing, Did my research, found out your class 5 drivers license covers any recreational vehicle with less then 6 axels, which would include a snowmobile, thus is also why ones needs to be over the age of 16 to operate one with out adult supervision, 14 with adult supervision.

crowsfeet

Reaction score
Some cops are such losers. Be a real cop and go bust some real criminals!

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some cops are such losers. Be a real cop and go bust some real criminals!

So you can't win if your a cop[your a loser] for stopping and checking sledders,but a fawking loser because they never catch the theives.:confused:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the law says you must carry ID with you at all times. Not anything to do with operating any vehicles though. More for them to confirm who you are, for any reason.
Could be wrong though.

GPsnownut

Reaction score
Pretty sure the law says you must carry ID with you at all times. Not anything to do with operating any vehicles though. More for them to confirm who you are, for any reason.
Could be wrong though.

Riverjet is correct, you cant go anywhere without I.D., you must be able to prove who you are, no matter where you are or what your doing. How do you actually think they catch criminals. Good guys usually have nothing to hide, so why not carry your I.D.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riverjet is correct, you cant go anywhere without I.D., you must be able to prove who you are, no matter where you are or what your doing. How do you actually think they catch criminals. Good guys usually have nothing to hide, so why not carry your I.D.

which is garbage cause all they have to do is look ur name up on the puter and your license shows up

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I got stopped last year, had nothing, Did my research, found out your class 5 drivers license covers any recreational vehicle with less then 6 axels, which would include a snowmobile, thus is also why ones needs to be over the age of 16 to operate one with out adult supervision, 14 with adult supervision.

on public land private doesnt matter

BeeZee62

Reaction score
I've conducted some research on this and all I can find is the excerpt below from the Alberta Traffic Safety Act ....

Operator’s licence:
Operator’s Licence Required
NO

On private land: You are not required to have a operator’s licence when on private land.
(Does not meet definition of “highway” and in Traffic Safety Act, Section 119(2) does not require registration or insurance in these cases.)
Off-highway operation: You are not required to have a operator’s licence when operating off-highway.
(Traffic Safety Act, Section 51(a) states that you shall not “...drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless that person is the holder of a subsisting operator’s licence.” Since these are “off-highway” vehicles, this requirement does not apply.)

Operator’s Licence Required
YES

On-highway operation: You are required to have a operator’s licence when operating on-highway. (Traffic Safety Act, Section 120(2)(b) & (4) allow operation on a highway if authorized by Minister or municipality. Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation, Section 26(1) allows a Class 6 licence to be used for this. Section 32(2) allows Class 7 to be used this way. Any class of licence may be used from 1 through 7.) No licence required if just crossing a highway.

Definition of Highway – “highway” means any thoroughfare, street, road, trail, avenue, parkway, driveway, viaduct, lane, alley, square, bridge, causeway, trestleway or other place or any part of any of them, whether publicly or privately owned, that the public is ordinarily entitled or permitted to use for the passage or parking of vehicles
and includes
(i) a sidewalk, including a boulevard adjacent to the sidewalk
(ii) if a ditch lies adjacent to and parallel with the roadway, the ditch, and
(iii) if a highway right of way is contained between fences or between a fence
and one side of the roadway, all the land between the fences, or all the land between the fence and the edge of the roadway as the case may be, but does not include a place declared by regulation not to be a highway. (Traffic Safety Act, Section 1)

Definition of “highway” includes the ditches alongside the roadway in accordance with the ALBERTA REGULATION 319/2002
Traffic Safety Act - OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE REGULATION

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy got a ticket on Sylvan Lake 2 weeks ago for no DL on hand. Sled was registered and insured.

BeeZee62

Reaction score
Buddy got a ticket on Sylvan Lake 2 weeks ago for no DL on hand. Sled was registered and insured.

Well if your buddy got a ticket on a lake, then he should certainly fight it. Would be interesting to know the outcome.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Don't they have to give you 24hrs to produce documents?

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i always take my ID with me...especially in the mountains. Just in case something ever happened, don't want to be a John Doe

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you go out and steal some guys nice new sled and hes in the bush at camp or whatever. the cops pull the theif over and says do you have your papers? theif says uuuuh i think so.... looks in the storage cubby and theres the insurance and registration... the owner still has no idea his sled has even been stolen... cop says wheres your drivers license? theif says uuuuuh its in my wallet at home. cop says ok bring it to the station tomorrow to avoid the ticket. theif says yeah ok no problem and rides away on the sled he just stole!!!
never seen a cop with a computer out on the trail systems either. just a ticket book and a notepad.
all documentation names need to match or they really start to raise a stink which they should!!! The cops have a reason for all the chit they do...

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you go out and steal some guys nice new sled and hes in the bush at camp or whatever. the cops pull the theif over and says do you have your papers? theif says uuuuh i think so.... looks in the storage cubby and theres the insurance and registration... the owner still has no idea his sled has even been stolen... cop says wheres your drivers license? theif says uuuuuh its in my wallet at home. cop says ok bring it to the station tomorrow to avoid the ticket. theif says yeah ok no problem and rides away on the sled he just stole!!!
never seen a cop with a computer out on the trail systems either. just a ticket book and a notepad.
all documentation names need to match or they really start to raise a stink which they should!!! The cops have a reason for all the chit they do...

good point

i was referring more to the staging area stuff

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were stopped on the Ministik Trails Sat before last. All documents were in order, but I didn't have my DL. Cop said I could be fined but with two familys I probably was who I said I was.

PS They had their brand new Summits decked out with lights and sirens!! Should have taken a pick. Tax dollars at work!!:rolleyes:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how some guys are fanging the Chit out of the Cops because they're trying to do their job. Ya I know we have a gutless justice system which doesn't do a dam thing to make examples of these Thieving A$$holes but that isn't the Cop's fault. Making comments like, "Our tax dollar at work"....because they have emergency vehicle identification on their sleds??? Really??? Well so do their cars, trucks, boats, quads and helicopters. Imagine the balls they have for wastin our money on such crap! I work for the Fire Dept. and nothin P!SSES me off more than when we're out buying our lunch and dinner groceries..yes we cook at work.. or showing some kids the truck and some Knob makes that comment. :rant: I know some of the laws the Cops have to enforce are stupid and ya, sometimes they are D!cks in how they go about enforcing them but dam it people, who are the first people you call when Chit goes down. I know I'm gonna get some Flack from some of you on this comment but bring it on. You couldn't double my current wage to do their job.

Top Bottom