Have You Ever Had To Tow A Sled Up A Hill??

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
winter olympics here we come. modman your out front. 40 man sled team, plus beer coolers. can't set bogger to close to cooler or it will be all gone.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not had to use it yet:d 1200ft of 5/16 double braid, 3500lb breaking strength, 50cc Husky with Capstan winch, and a block to double the line if required.

Attachments

• Winch 003.jpg
    Winch 003.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 116

Rad Man

Reaction score
I've had great luck using a 20ft tow strap & 2 snap links. I fold the strap in half, tie a "Girth hitch" on the back of the tow sled, then snap the 2 snap links into the ends of the strap and onto the fronts of the sled to be dragged. You'll need to remove the belt from the sled being dragged towed.

You don't need to put anyone on the towed sled as the resistance of the track is enough to slow you down...just don't make any quick stops. The Towed sled will follow in the tracks of the towing sled (with or without a rider).

Unfortunately I have had to use this method 10-12 times in 4-5 years without any damage to sled or riders.

If you need to pull a sled out of a hole or up a really steep bank, you can use a pulley (or snatch block) secured to a tree (at the top of the hill) then to a towing sled (also at the top of the hill), after securing your rope or tow strap to the towed sled's skis, ride the towing sled down the hill and pull the towed sled up & out.

Hope this helps.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other than the chopper. There are some bowls that on deep powder days pretty much the only thing that works is the block and tackle. We have tried so many things over the years, from skimmers to towtruck method. They will all work once you are on flatter ground... But if the snow is really deep and it's a steep bowl.. Forget it. Block and tackle using another sled as the counter pull is the only way it's comming up.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other than the chopper. There are some bowls that on deep powder days pretty much the only thing that works is the block and tackle. We have tried so many things over the years, from skimmers to towtruck method. They will all work once you are on flatter ground... But if the snow is really deep and it's a steep bowl.. Forget it. Block and tackle using another sled as the counter pull is the only way it's comming up.

Just take the motor out (or other broken parts), fix and replace, ride the sled out.

Done this on lots of sleds over the years, never needed a block and tackle or a chopper..............:D

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends where you are i supose. i can get a chopper ride out of certain areas for 500-1000$.

its just not worth the hassle and lost riding day for a recovery unless its going to be a BIG chopper bill

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends where you are i supose. i can get a chopper ride out of certain areas for 500-1000$.

its just not worth the hassle and lost riding day for a recovery unless its going to be a BIG chopper bill

My thought's exactly, had broken cranks and such. For the price,if a sled needs a rebuild or it took a solo trip though the trees, a heli will save a pile of work. But like you said all depends on where your at cause some chopper rides can be 2thou or more then you gotta get creative

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBP-Hx6YvuU&feature=player_embedded[/media]

here is a video of us pulling a m1000 out of a bowl south of revy took all day pretty much to get back to truck but had a lot of fun doing it the only reason the stoped was the guy on theright hit his kill switch somehow

rsw84

Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBP-Hx6YvuU&feature=player_embedded[/media]

here is a video of us pulling a m1000 out of a bowl south of revy took all day pretty much to get back to truck but had a lot of fun doing it the only reason the stoped was the guy on theright hit his kill switch somehow

sweeeet!!!

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
A couple years ago we had a sled go down at the bottom of a big mandatory climb out. The next day we came back with a bunch of climbing gear. Anchored a pulley system to a tree at the top of the bowl, hooked up the broken down sled at the bottom of the bowl. At the top of the bowl on the other side of the pulley we hooked up to 2 800's, ran down the face wide open, sled shot right up.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just take the motor out (or other broken parts), fix and replace, ride the sled out.

Done this on lots of sleds over the years, never needed a block and tackle or a chopper..............:D

I've rode out of keystone with a pulled engine strapped to the tunnel but that was back in about 99. It was a lot easier to get those old mod engines out. It would only take about twenty minutes to have a 720 out on your lap.
I must be getting old cause I can't imagine tackeling a xp or a pro engine on the hill.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not had to use it yet:d 1200ft of 5/16 double braid, 3500lb breaking strength, 50cc Husky with Capstan winch, and a block to double the line if required.

Thats a great setup!
probably cheaper then a helicopter ride out ;)

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had to pull my buddies rev down the trail at owls head in sicamous last week. thank fully it was in the morning and only 17 km up the trail. just a log between the skis and 20ft strap to the back of my sled and she was out nice and quick, :beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snatchblock??? I don't know what that is. Sounds like something that happens at the bar around closing time.

you're thinking of snatchgrab at closing time, not snatchblock.

A snatchblock is when she tells you she has 3 kids, a yeast infection, she's a lesbian, she leaned over to tell you she wants you and then puked on your shirt, or her big fat friend comes and drags her home right after she told you she loves to swallow.

Top Bottom