GM 5.3 AFM Plug and Play Delete

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would definitely try one but only until it's time to do delete and swap in a truck norris NSR cam from Brian Tooley.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not interested in opening the motor. Would like to keep it in V8

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does disabling help the lifters last longer or are they still prone to failure?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does disabling help the lifters last longer or are they still prone to failure?
From what I'm reading, yes it does. But would like first hand experience, from someone who's tried it.

Stevemtb

Reaction score
I disabled mine through a Diablo tuner. Was more pricey but also got to tinker with engine tunes and transmission shift patterns on the weak 6L80 if you have the six speed.
I was told the disabler block for the OBD just fools the ECM to prevent V4 it’s not disabling it like a tuner. You also don’t have to leave anything in the OBD port with a tuner.
As for how it all worked, yes great definitely recommend. Had 240k on mine and engine sounded like new. Neighbours had similar mileage running with AFM and you could hear the lifters. Guessing he didn’t do oil changes as often though. I figure it only cost me about 1L/100k being in V8 mode full time. Definitely worth it. The duratracs cost me more than that lol

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should have posted that it's for a 2017 GM
Range Device or get a tune.... I tuned my 2015 to be on all 8 all the time. Still had a some lifter issues but it was on the non AFM lifters. But it wasn't until till 230,000 km then it got a new cam, and all new lifters and did the mechanical afm delete.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd get a tune, and make sure the tuner changes the TCM parameters to fully lock the torque converter while also disabling AFM.

When AFM is active on GM engines, the TCM is looking for a desired Torque Converter slip of 40 rpm. Even when in V8 mode the TCM is looking for a desired TC slip of 20 rpm at low load and below about 1600 rpm. This is done to eliminate drivetrain vibrations in V4 (AFM) mode, but really isn't necessary when all 8 cylinders are firing.

Obviously this is a terrible design choice, as the TC clutch packs eventually wear out due to the constant slipping. Here is some more info, it can be tuned out with EFILive and should be able to be tuned out with HPTuners as well.

Top Bottom