Fun with a scammer on kijiji

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So today an ad went up on kijiji in Edmonton. It disappeared within a couple hours. While it was up I emailed the person about the price. They responded with this:

Hi,
My 2010 Ski-Doo MXZX Renegade 800CC with 473 km is in excellent condition, never raced or abused,no accident,no loans,it has been very well maintained.I am selling it at this price ($3,300) because I just went through a divorce with my ex-husband and when it has finished, I remained the owner of this sled.I have some financial problems right now, so I want to sell it asap and a fast sale can be done only at a low price.The transaction will be made through eBay protection program for the safety of both of us. The total price is $3,300 and it also includes the delivery to your address.

If you're interested to purchase just email me with your full name,shipping address and phone number , so I can notify eBay that you are selected as my buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.
PS: if you have any question about the sled I will wait your email.

Sincerely,
Melinda Brown

So my next email to them was..Where can I look at the sled? This is what I got back.

Hi,
The sled is now located in Churchill Manitoba (because I was just transferred with my job),like I told you the delivery process has been paid for by me and I want to finish this deal through eBay because they are the best company when it comes to this kind of transactions. This way we can both be protected and insured. As you can see, you will receive the sled in max 2-3 days and you will have the chance to inspect it for 10 days. In the inspection period you can test the sled or go with it at your local mechanic for inspection, but do not put more than 100 KM on it.The sled will be delivered directly to your requested address as soon as I will have the payment confirmation from eBay.As you know it takes 15 to 20 days for the payment to be verified by eBay so you will have time to receive the sled and inspect it. In case you won`t be satisfied, you can cancel the payment and ship the sled back on my expense.

If you're interested in purchasing just email me with your FULL NAME&ADDRESS and PHONE number so I can notify eBay that you are selected as my buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Thank you,

My next email was...What is the vin? I am thinking if I get a message back I should say I have an RCMP buddy that lives about 30 mins away from that location and if he can come look at it for me.

Any good quaestion I should ask? I am thinking I might drag this on for a bit.:404:

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousin had some fun with a guy last year. Same deal only sled was in whitehorse, told the guy they had an office in whitehorse and one of the guys would be over to see the sled, low and behold the guy was stuck in bed with two broken legs and couldn't show the sled and wasn't able to answer the phone etc....

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Had a similar experience a few weelks ago. I saw an ad for a Skidoo Elite. I asked for some info and this is what I got;

Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 7:15 AM
To:
Subject: RE: E-Mail SALES LEAD from Buysell.com!

Hi,

The 2004 Ski Doo Elite it is in excellent condition .Very rare piece . Twin track, 150hp 1.5L 4 stroke 4cyl.Equipted with reverse, heated grips, heated visor plugs,full guage cluster . Side by side 2 seat cockpit , 124 ORIGINAL MILES. NEVER trail ridden!!!!Only field rode on private property .Clear title. The price is $3000 shipping included and is located in Alma QC . For the moment I am in Ireland with work, but this is not a problem because i can deliver it to your shipping address (i will pay for the shipping fees) and i will agree to let you test and inspect it for 5 days just to be sure. In this 5 days you will test the conditions of the sled . If something won't be like you expected to be you can return it without any expense. It will come with all the paper work. The deal will go through ebay. In this way both of us will have the required assurance that the deal will take place well. A refund policy will be included. If you agree with these terms please reply me with your full name, shipping address and phone# so that i can forward them to ebay . They will send you a complete list with instructions.
I`m waiting for your reply as soon as possible.

Thanks!

I replied back that I have a friend in that part of Quebec and he would be happy to look at it for me. I asked her for an address so he could look at it......never got a reply back.

blar

Reaction score
Ask if she can send 99km of snow cause we don't have any so you can take it for a good test drive.

CTWilly

Reaction score
I found the exact same post a couple of years but it was for a RZR. I actually know a guy that did get suckered in on a similar deal. Sent him a teacking number and the whole bit. He ended up gettin the RCMP involved. Only see him every couple of years so I don't know if he got his money back.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost word for word the response I got from an add on the Buy&Sell a couple years back about 2 Seadoos. Had some fun with it for a while but I eventually got bored. Most of these come from offshore, so good luck actually getting anything done about them. :d

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seeing as she is single now,.. ask her if she is back into dating and would like to meet for coffee and look at the sled.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back when I was looking for a truck, found lots of this ch!t! Ben @ southside was the worst. He emailed me pictures of a 2008 silver mega 3500 with chrome rims. Went to look at it and majically it was in the shop getting thier 1000 point inspection. When it came out it was a grey 2500 4door with factory rims. When I asked what happened to the rims he said it looked better factory.....he had no repley for how it turned into a 2500!!! or grey from silver. He has a pile of trucks listed on there but I believe none of them exsist.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wonder how many ppl actually fall for these scams? and i also wonder how companies like buy and sell allow these ppl to post these scams every week in there paper.

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
i wonder how many ppl actually fall for these scams? and i also wonder how companies like buy and sell allow these ppl to post these scams every week in there paper.

More people then you think fall for these crazy scams.

A few years ago a girl i worked with fell for one of those Nigerian scams that all she had to do was wire money to this guy so he could come see her to deliver a lottery lump sum a relative had one. Get this she sent money and ALOT of it too....

The only reason she stopped (at least i think she did) was because she left her email open on my computer and i had just finished watching it on 20/20. I couldnt believe she was naive enough to ffall for it.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these guys i am sure do good. they wouldn't do it if nobody ever fell for it. no money to be made. however if they were smart they wouldn't make the deals look so good. make them like 1000 bucks better than average. not 3-5000 better. probably hook alot more fish with a better baited hook.

shiftrus

Reaction score
i had the same thing happen to me last year about a new quad and trailer with a blade for 3000. and a 1200cc m1 witht he d&d kit and what not for 3500. i knew it was to good to be true so i just messed with them both for like a week just sending like 3 word sentences back. both from good ole kijiji

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a similar experience with a sled for sale. Replied to the post knowing it was a scam - to my surprise the sled was located in edmonton - I replied back to her saying I live in Calgary and would come and look at it and she could save the shipping cost - she replied back saying that it was locked up in a shipping yard and could not get access to it - I was to send payment through paypal - recieve the sled and return if not interested - go figure !! Like can`t Kijji monitor these adds and remove them if they don't seem legit - The one I inquired about was a 2008 XP 154 for $4000 dollars

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kept a telephone scammer on the phone for over 3 hours. I had won a contest and just had to pay the prize registration fee to get the trip of a lifetime. I stalled once, went and had a shower, then came back and he was still there. I stalled again to find my credit card, then went out for dinner. When I came back it was over three hours and he was still on the line. I lmao and he started dropping f-bombs like a trucker with the clap. I said, "At least for 3 hours I stopped you from scamming someone." I still smile when I think of that one.

Top Bottom