friggggiin cold

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
haha, nope, just gotta do fieldwork in this crap and this is balmy compared to the arctic work we do (so thankful for that, its gonna get colder before it gets warmer), and one project we did a couple years ago in Siberia, 62 miles north of the arctic circle, drilling on a lfrozen ake in a meteor crater (thank god I did not have to go on that on)....sleeping in a shipping container with a heater that only worked 1/2 time with -50C and below temps....

Sounds to me like that would be a violation of the OH&S regulations....

You have a duty to protect an employee as far as reasonably practicable from harm.....

I don't think an heater which works 50% of the the time is reasonable....
75% would be reasonable.......

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had to go haul an excavator at 5am, only -30C....took a liberal dose of air brake antifreeze to get air into the 8 whl jeep....okay, that's cool, kinda expected since the trailer hasn't been used since it got cold.....get that rolling and pull out onto the highway out of the yard and FFFFFSSSSSPPPPSSSSSSSS! fawking coily plastic air lines.....supply line from the jeep to the trailer snapped in 2 places. great way to start the day....:mad:

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You have a duty to protect an employee as far as reasonably practicable from harm.....

dammit booger....now I have that song stuck in my head again:rant: I doubt siberia's OH&S regulations are as stringent as the ones here in Canada...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LOL - nice try, key words there being "reasonably practical", is it reasonably practical to allow staff to drive down the road even? They were equipped with the best gear $$$ could buy..... go work in Siberia or the middle east where they do not place the value on life that we have here, OH&S...........good luck. Had we known about the heater, we obviously would have taken other steps, we did not supply the equipment unfortunately, just the experienced minds....

FYI - A heater, in the middle of nowhere, on a meteor lake, in February, in Siberia that works is a luxury, one that works 50% of the time is pretty much unheard of.

A trip to a town took 5 days. I think it was easier to deal with the cold than make a run to town for heater parts.....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I was just sayin......

friggin Siberia

LOL - nice try, key words there being "reasonably practical", is it reasonably practical to allow staff to drive down the road even? They were equipped with the best gear $$$ could buy..... go work in Siberia or the middle east where they do not place the value on life that we have here, OH&S...........good luck. Had we known about the heater, we obviously would have taken other steps, we did not supply the equipment unfortunately, just the experienced minds....

FYI - A heater, in the middle of nowhere, on a meteor lake, in February, in Siberia that works is a luxury, one that works 50% of the time is pretty much unheard of.

A trip to a town took 5 days. I think it was easier to deal with the cold than make a run to town for heater parts.....

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had to go haul an excavator at 5am, only -30C....took a liberal dose of air brake antifreeze to get air into the 8 whl jeep....okay, that's cool, kinda expected since the trailer hasn't been used since it got cold.....get that rolling and pull out onto the highway out of the yard and FFFFFSSSSSPPPPSSSSSSSS! fawking coily plastic air lines.....supply line from the jeep to the trailer snapped in 2 places. great way to start the day....:mad:

the only place those fawkin coily lines are any good is for takin up space on the retailers shelf. fug i hated those things. even more when it got cold.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

quit using the cheap crap....:d if your curious it's on pg 5 (NL 580)

It's good stuff :)

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember back in around '92 sometime the temps getting down to -55c west of town here at my sisters housing. My truck wouldn't drive cause the rear diff oil was too stiff, it would just rev up and then I would stall it(manual trans).

I also remember going out and thawing out logging truck brakes because they think they need to haul logs in -40to-50c weather. I hate to tell ya, but propane don't flow all that well after -40.

This cold spell is nothing, I actually don't mind it as long as I am dressed for it.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember back in around '92 sometime the temps getting down to -55c west of town here at my sisters housing. My truck wouldn't drive cause the rear diff oil was too stiff, it would just rev up and then I would stall it(manual trans).

I also remember going out and thawing out logging truck brakes because they think they need to haul logs in -40to-50c weather. I hate to tell ya, but propane don't flow all that well after -40.

This cold spell is nothing, I actually don't mind it as long as I am dressed for it.

Yep come spring...we'll all be thinking this is balmy and be runnin around in t-shirts...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quit using the cheap crap....:d if your curious it's on pg 5 (NL 580)

It's good stuff :)
not sure if they are the exact same brand, but they were the fibre reinforced ones. they're almost ten years old and apparently lost their flexibilty. I've yoinked that 9 axle around western canada and the territories in a lot colder temps than -30, why they just decided today was the day is beyond me....the suck part was fixing it with my trailer still blocking part of the highway lanes, less than a hundered yards from the nice warm shop. just one of those days....

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_9zpAWFFKQ[/YT]

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a little cool outside

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom