Fighting rust-super duty

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
08 with very minimal rust, drive er till she falls apart !

Attachments

• IMG_4082.jpeg
    IMG_4082.jpeg
    593.2 KB · Views: 45

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend never worries about rust or oil changes...

He just drives the $4!+ out of them...

When its loooooong past its oil change he drops it off,,,switches out his gear and drives off in the next peace of $4!+ too repete no oil changes or fear of rust...

That's why they make new trucks...

He said life is simple that way,,, drive the b@!!'zzz off them and hammer down on the next latest and greatest... lol

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my 08, despite constant cleaning undercoating it is still rusting around rear wheel wells. The bumpers are starting. The rest is mint.
She looks good man! Did you spray that liner then install the flares?

What product did you use for undercoat

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I did, it's rusting just above the spray line. It was undercoating when first done then I use rubberized spray on atleast once but usually twice a year.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 must pull out the rear taillights on these trucks and wash the chit out of the inners. You can get in there though the holes with a pressure washer, that is where the dirt and crud along with moisture sit right along those seams. Then try and find an undercoating for the rockers and what ever else you eye up. Currently replacing rear wheel arch,s on my GMC as I did not like the flare look, and take off box's r stupid $$ in the market. Hopefully get a few more years out of the truck, the rest is mint body panel/ drivetrain wise. Gotta cut that rust out and get to good metal, then use etching primer on back side of the new panels and weld them in/fill/ paint should be ok. All this chloride chit they use now will eat anything ffs. :/

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 must pull out the rear taillights on these trucks and wash the chit out of the inners. You can get in there though the holes with a pressure washer, that is where the dirt and crud along with moisture sit right along those seams. Then try and find an undercoating for the rockers and what ever else you eye up. Currently replacing rear wheel arch,s on my GMC as I did not like the flare look, and take off box's r stupid $$ in the market. Hopefully get a few more years out of the truck, the rest is mint body panel/ drivetrain wise. Gotta cut that rust out and get to good metal, then use etching primer on back side of the new panels and weld them in/fill/ paint should be ok. All this chloride chit they use now will eat anything ffs. :/
I agree with replacing the wheel arch’s vs finding a whole box, way more cost prohibitive. Buddy did that on an 01 Silverado over a weekend and it turned out great.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with replacing the wheel arch’s vs finding a whole box, way more cost prohibitive. Buddy did that on an 01 Silverado over a weekend and it turned out great.
Ya I made the mistake of purchasing flares and installed the back but do not like the look, unless I was running 275 or bigger rubber. Found panels now just have to get at it, fricken honey doo list keeps sidetracking me to get stuff done b 4 winter. Looks like it will be a Movember job.

Top Bottom