Fighting rust-super duty

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It's too late. Sell before it gets hideous and get an alumiduty.
It is amazing how fast they go. In the east Kootenays, they spray 1,000 gallons of that juice a trip. One would think they were washing the pavement!
Early sledding trips were the worst time.
My 2013 F350 had noticeable spots and a body man pointed out the blistered paint where it had travelled. I didn’t have a box (aluminum flat deck), so just the bottom of the doors and the rocker panels. Maybe under the front wheel flares (I was afraid to look).
Back in 2022, a body shop threw out a price of $10G for new doors. He said, “that is the only way” and “if it is patched, you will be back in two years and not a happy camper."
I went the alumiduty route and got a very clean 2017 with 65,000 km for $68,900.
I guess you have to weigh your options. You are doing the research and you will find something you can live with.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Krown rust spray in prince george, he drills holes in certain spots to get the krown spray where it is needed. He did body work for several years in town.

I will look him up, thank man!

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Krown rust spray in prince george, he drills holes in certain spots to get the krown spray where it is needed. He did body work for several years in town.

Have you used him for your rigs?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just did new front fenders on a 4th gen ram 3500 They are cheap 170 bucks. Ram in their wisdom installs foam on the back of them. If you have one rip that crap out of there.

It was cheap fix though. Few bolts and a little paint only takes a few hours.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've started giving up on keeping stuff nice. My gmc has rust starting everywhere from bad metal. Can't really stop it when it starts bubbling huge areas under the paint. Once it looks bad enough it becomes a farm truck.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just did new front fenders on a 4th gen ram 3500 They are cheap 170 bucks. Ram in their wisdom installs foam on the back of them. If you have one rip that crap out of there.

It was cheap fix though. Few bolts and a little paint only takes a few hours.
I ordered mine repainted and was amazed at the color match

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2005 with nill for rust...
20240831_113025.jpg

20 + years all season going back and forth across Our America's... lots of salt,,, Magnesium chloride,,, Calcium chloride...

Prep the panels with the special mix or rust will consume your princess...

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok sweet, how has it held up?

160 for a semi? That seems like a really good price point
This has to be repeated yearly, if you have a new vehical and use krown spray krown warranties that vehicle against rusting. However yours is rusted already, oil tends to stop rust that has started already. But krown would be your best option you have.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's 1000's of ways too rust proof...

Pick 1 or 2 and give it a try...

New units are the easiest too prep...
Partly used aren't bad.
Much harder too control rust after 2 years if (not prepping) before hand...

What we know, if the primer from new + paint remains factory as long as possible then the panels are most protected from day 1 of new metal...

*** if the metal is exposed too oxygen it is destin too rust... ***

Its a 1 time deal...

All the new sanding,,, primer and paint in the world won't help you...

%%% Unless %%%

The right friend sorts the metal """ before""" prime/ paint,,, it stands a better chance of lasting... vvv

Alot of money,,, time and effort (s) going that route...

Or pick a proven avenue A or B...

I use the $20 stop rust in its tracks idea,,, some folks are game and other's are not...

It takes 7 minutes out of your life a few times a year,,, rust has a very difficult time surviving the mix...

They say a proven mix is the best place too start...

Good times for sure

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When she rots out, be a good time to do a fiberglass wide body kit. I don't think fiberglass rusts, so should be GTG

View attachment 288564
Dammit man, with this idea and the auction site I can see myself spending all my ‘fun’ budget real quick ahah jk

A one ton CCLWB would look pretty interesting with pre runner fenders lol

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When she rots out, be a good time to do a fiberglass wide body kit. I don't think fiberglass rusts, so should be GTG

Dammit man, with this idea and the auction site I can see myself spending all my ‘fun’ budget real quick ahah jk

A one ton CCLWB would look pretty interesting with pre runner fenders lol

Top Bottom