Farmer talk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like in crop you need to hit it pre seeding and maybe a couple herbicide applications as it has a long germination window. Appears to be some resistant varieties of it as well. Looks like a bad one as in 40 of 50 US states

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Small greens are worth almost double of small reds. Don’t waste your time on lentils if you have weeds, or rocks. They easily drown out as well in high moisture years. We plant 1/4 of our acres to lentils. We swath our lentils to dry the weeds since we don’t desiccate. Straight cutting is the way to go, but you’re shaving the ground, that’s why I say don’t bother if you have rocks, a good crop can be a break even crop if you eat a rock. But if you’re late swathing, they shell out as well when you pick them up. If they’re flat on the ground or in swaths on the ground and you get rain they sprout. They’re also very heavy, so if your grain cart is borderline too big for the drawbar on tractor don't fill it up all the way.

They make land rollers for a reason. We have rocks and now have grown lentils on even the worst ground
Also lentils are no heavier than wheat or durum 60lbs bu. Good durum or clean lentils can be 64-66 too

Thanks for the share on durum prices
Sold some at 8.50. 8.75 & 9. Guess 9.50 next. Just small amounts. Holding out for 10 for majority maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like in crop you need to hit it pre seeding and maybe a couple herbicide applications as it has a long germination window. Appears to be some resistant varieties of it as well. Looks like a bad one as in 40 of 50 US states

Ok, yes this quarter is in south Manitoba, many are saying it’s creeping up there.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How far out in advance are you/can you market your grain? Can you sell contracts say 3 years out?

Basically I'm wondering if its possible by selling future dated contracts for forward years if you are able to hedge out some of the pricing instability?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
They make land rollers for a reason. We have rocks and now have grown lentils on even the worst ground
Also lentils are no heavier than wheat or durum 60lbs bu. Good durum or clean lentils can be 64-66 too

Thanks for the share on durum prices
Sold some at 8.50. 8.75 & 9. Guess 9.50 next. Just small amounts. Holding out for 10 for majority maybe

If your ground is completely flat land rollers work well. We have a degelman, but there’s always headlands and pot holes where it doesn’t get. 5 plex would probably help but 🤷‍♂️

Dirt also weighs 70-80lbs a bushel 😂😂😂

Did I mention lentils are dirty? Now as bad as soybean but still bad.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your ground is completely flat land rollers work well. We have a degelman, but there’s always headlands and pot holes where it doesn’t get. 5 plex would probably help but 🤷‍♂️

Dirt also weighs 70-80lbs a bushel 😂😂😂

Did I mention lentils are dirty? Now as bad as soybean but still bad.
Yes you can always see a combine working on lentils from a long distance. Usually a black cloud following it as you have dirty lentils mixed with dirt going in the combine.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are far from flat ground here. Some is some sure isn’t
Unless your lentils are pounded into the dirt they usually aren’t that dirty
Fungicide pass always pays off come combine time. Especially if they get a rain - that likely wouldn’t help if your swathing tho I guess

Interesting how things vary so much from area to area

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yellow mustard prices are going to spike. Mark my words! IMG_7850.jpeg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How far out in advance are you/can you market your grain? Can you sell contracts say 3 years out?

Basically I'm wondering if its possible by selling future dated contracts for forward years if you are able to hedge out some of the pricing instability?

This is what I see…
907fc59419c3c942b4094b831d70e538.jpg

Not sure if other grain companies will let you go further out than this.

Top Bottom