Edelbrock carb for a grizz??

Bryle

Reaction score
Hey Guys, has anyone tried the Edelbrock carb for a grizz 660? is it worth the price??

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honestly unless your running above 727CC overbore then i don't see the point. perhaps you would achieve some hp gain but it would be way over priced. any edelbrock carb I've ever seen was like 4-500$ or better you can do alot better mods for 500+$.

Bryle

Reaction score
well, i've done alot of up grades to my grizz, all that is really left for me to do is some major engine work. (high compression big bore piston / crank) i've done the cam got my clutch machined(as well as a clucth kit), and done the jetting/chip/pipe. So i guess $500 might be cheap in comparision.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im trying to say that unless your pushing like a 780CC overbore its probably not going to do much.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you already have the cam and exhuast, the carb will help after the big bore, if you open the air box up. Until then, not much gain to be had.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weve been running the dragon fire cdi -made by msd- and it rocks...plug and play ,,,adustability,,, about 500 but its awesome on the 660 and 700 grizz and rhinos....

just me 2 bits

t

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack but tell me more on the dragon fire deal. On the carb thing, my bud has one on his grizz and it has awsome throttle response cause it is a pumper style carb. Also easy to tune.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bryle ... I looked into the carb for a while myself. Talked to a guy who had one on a 686 & an 800. He really liked it, claimed it helped, however, he also stated it has a very stiff spring & your thumb gets tired real quick. And he wasn't sure he would spend that amount of money again ...

The other problem I have with it is, it has a smaller intake or orfice than the stock carb. I believe the Edelbrock is 40mm & the stock one is 42mm. Seems to me, if a guy is "Beef'in" up the motor, piston, bore, cam, etc .... the carb should be a little bit larger ??

In our race bikes (they were 2-strokes however), we use to have the carbs line bored 1.5mm larger ... and I've always wondered if that would benefit the Grizz once a guy installs the 686 or larger kit ??

One other thing, I buy all my parts from South Seattle Yamaha, I called them & asked about the carb, they told me they have carried that carb for a few years .... but never sold one.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth ....

If ya do buy one however, let us know if it's worth it .... ya never know, ya might start a trend in bike modifications ....

Later .....

Bryle

Reaction score
thx, for the great info. i don't think that i will waste the $$ either;)

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably a good choice. When I get around to do'in he 686 or 727 kit, I'm gonna look into gett'in my carb line bored .... after I get the bike runn'in smooth, so I have a starting point. :d

Later ....

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was thinking of doing the 727 but after reading about so many motors going early with anything past 686 i decided not to.. the 727 also doesn't rev as quickly either which can slow your power band as well.

and then there is the whole removal of motor splitting the case removing clutches and stuff and i was like......... nahhhhhhh.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leonard, I've heard the same thing about the 727 kit ... but a friend just did one in his 04, 660 Rhino & loves it. And he rides it hard in the sand & his boy just took it out on a 150 mile desert rally ... ran it wide open for 60 or so miles ... no problem .....

But, I'm like you & I'm still leary of going any bigger than a 686 kit.

Later ...

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im doing my 686 this weekend "tonight/tomorrow" thats if i can get this oil line off.. I got so mad trying to remove the nut that holds it to the side of the motor that i raged kicked the tire went in side and poured my self a drink @ 1:30pm lol.

that freaking nut is so hard to get @ and i think its supposed to be a 10mm but i cant tell if its slipping or what but i dont feel the nut backing out when it turns.

trying to do this when the motor is in the bike is proving a challenge .

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im doing my 686 this weekend "tonight/tomorrow" thats if i can get this oil line off.. I got so mad trying to remove the nut that holds it to the side of the motor that i raged kicked the tire went in side and poured my self a drink @ 1:30pm lol.

that freaking nut is so hard to get @ and i think its supposed to be a 10mm but i cant tell if its slipping or what but i dont feel the nut backing out when it turns.

trying to do this when the motor is in the bike is proving a challenge .

Dang .... that doesn't sound good ..... why does the factory install some of these nuts & bolts, like the diff drain bolts .... so freak'in tight ?? :mad:

I just had to change out my front diff seal, & the nut holding the go-thru bolt on the front of the diff got destroyed before I got to break loose .... the Bast%$# !!!

Hope you can crack this nut without any damage ...

Later ...

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya ill figure it out.. i might beat the bike with a sledge before i do tho.

NO ! NO ! NO ! :nono: .... take another break dude .... don't let the little SOB get the best of ya .......... ya, listen to me .... Mr. Cool, Clam, & Collected !!! :rant:

Later ....

Top Bottom