2024 two piece driveshaft fixed?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I need to replace the shitty drivers on my 24. While I’m in there, should I swap in a one piece driveshaft?
Will the shaft out of my 22 be a direct swap?
Or should I put that TKI thing in and call it good?

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I need to replace the shitty drivers on my 24. While I’m in there, should I swap in a one piece driveshaft?
Will the shaft out of my 22 be a direct swap?
Or should I put that TKI thing in and call it good?

FYI, the 2025 drivers are available separately from the shaft now. Part numbers are 504154840 & 504154841 (left and right) They're $130 each and supposedly solve the ratcheting issue.

I was reading on another forum that their entire group of G5's had the drivers replaced under warranty. One even had the track replaced due to damage from the ratcheting.
I just started a claim for the same thing, (drivers and track) and am waiting to hear back.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well ch!t. I just spent a stack of cash on Avids. Nothing but ratcheting no matter how tight the track was.
Now, about that driveshaft…

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now, about that driveshaft…

I don't think there's anything but opinions on the matter. 2023's were a shitshow for sure. I personally didn't see any issues within our group, or even run into someone with chain case problems out in the bush. I don't feel that there is a solid definitive answer as to the main point of failure anyway.
The 2024's however seem pretty solid in regards to the chain and sprockets. Mine has 3000km on it with very little stretch and no indication that there's abnormal wear going on.
If it were me, and I had to replace the driveshaft anyway, I would probably swap to a 1 piece. If I was just swapping drivers, and already had the upgraded chain, and had no apparent problems with the existing shaft (bent or cracked), then I see no benefit to swapping it. Some might say 'cheap insurance', but I see no indication the parts in '24's are less reliable than the '22 and earlier.

I would like to know more of the root cause of the ratcheting. This definitely is more of an issue on the G5's over previous years. From what can tell, the drivers don't appear to have changed in design. Is the new track stretching more or deforming under load? Doo touted geometry changes and new parts in the G5 skid. Could it be that track tension is less consistent as the suspension cycles?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything but opinions on the matter. 2023's were a shitshow for sure. I personally didn't see any issues within our group, or even run into someone with chain case problems out in the bush. I don't feel that there is a solid definitive answer as to the main point of failure anyway.
The 2024's however seem pretty solid in regards to the chain and sprockets. Mine has 3000km on it with very little stretch and no indication that there's abnormal wear going on.
If it were me, and I had to replace the driveshaft anyway, I would probably swap to a 1 piece. If I was just swapping drivers, and already had the upgraded chain, and had no apparent problems with the existing shaft (bent or cracked), then I see no benefit to swapping it. Some might say 'cheap insurance', but I see no indication the parts in '24's are less reliable than the '22 and earlier.

I would like to know more of the root cause of the ratcheting. This definitely is more of an issue on the G5's over previous years. From what can tell, the drivers don't appear to have changed in design. Is the new track stretching more or deforming under load? Doo touted geometry changes and new parts in the G5 skid. Could it be that track tension is less consistent as the suspension cycles?
It would be interesting to know if different track lengths had different amounts of ratcheting. Longer tracks could stretch more, longer rails could flex more etc. Also is this happening with only with the 3" lug tracks?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I will swap the 24 shaft with a one piece, belts and suspenders kind of thing.
The ratcheting started right from day one. Not surprised on a new sled but no amount of tightening of the track cured it. I only have about 5 days on it and the track is way too tight for me to feel ok with it.
I am not sure what changed, but something must have. It's nothing money cant fix.
PS, I do run the limit strap long, maybe that is causing the track to not have enough "wrap" on the drivers?

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

doo updated the drivers for '25 and i don't know what specific issue(s) they were trying to address but ratcheting's prolly part of it.

Top Bottom