Winter vacation

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about taking a winter vacation to somewhere hot. We have not had a winter vacation at all in many years and have no ideal where to even start. Lots of S&M members travel so we are hoping to get some solid advise from the crew. Was thinking 7-10 days in a all inclusive resort begining of Febuary sometime. Wife doesn't want to just sit by the pool or beach and drink all day so maybe tour around a bit. Let me know what your advise is so we can maybe book something. Thanks

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We like the Caribbean islands. So far have done the Virgin Islands (US and British), Antigua, and Dominican Republic (Samana). We liked all three, but I probably wouldn't see the US Virgin islands and Samana again and instead would go somewhere else.

Our list of other islands we'd like to visit:
St.Lucia
Curacao
Guadelope

Never been to Mexico, so can't compare to that.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went to St Thomas in the Virgin Islands a year and a half ago. Really enjoyed that area. Lots of places to see and if you like sitting on the beach or pool and drink there is that as well

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get ready for the flying fiasco though. We are going to Maui this winter and booked flights through WestJet and since we booked I think we are already at 7 flight changes. Currently we will miss one day in paradise because of this already. They have even changed from a layover flight to a direct flight then back to a layover flight. How this can happen this far away I have no idea and try to talk to West Jet. Better plan on spending the better part of a day to talk to a human.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find a good travel agent. Have them on call and sorting out the headaches for you. Some friends of ours ended up with with a big credit from a resort last year when their agent went to bat for them over a pretty petty issue in my mind.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
When we go, we rely on Murminator...... he finds the deals via sites like expedia, then he engages a travel agent and says "hey I want this deal for this resort, make it so"

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed Cuba. That was almost 10 years ago though.
So much history, very easy to tour around and back then, everybody was so friendly.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want cheap and easy, I absolutely love the Caribbean side of Mexico. I have never had a bad time in Mexico. That being said, I want to do some different countries down there now.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One day Id like to go somewhere more remote, like Madeira, Fiji, Reunion or Mauritius. But it would have to be a least a couple weeks. You'd be minimum 1 day each way in flights.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One day Id like to go somewhere more remote, like Madeira, Fiji, Reunion or Mauritius. But it would have to be a least a couple weeks. You'd be minimum 1 day each way in flights.
My sister went to Fiji. It’s a long time in an airplane to get there.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want cheap and easy, I absolutely love the Caribbean side of Mexico. I have never had a bad time in Mexico. That being said, I want to do some different countries down there now.
This. If you want an all inclusive just do Mexico in the Cancun area. Still lots of excursions to keep the Mrs occupied.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Travel agents seem to somehow work for free... if you find a deal you like, they can usually book the same deal and then you have a face to talk to.
We had a group trip planned. 25 of us. Some used travel agent buddie of mine. He’s the best and fastest growing independent. And some just booked the same dates online. A Hurricane destroyed Puerto Vallarta a day and a half before we were to leave. People who didn’t have travel agent got a credit They’ve never used yet. My travel agent switched us to Cabo and had us on a plane 14 hours late for departure, we flew on an empty plane both ways and our two week holiday still happened. To this day three of my friends have never got their money back from online.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I've been to the Mayan, Cuba, and the Dominican, twice each and Bucerias once. Loved them all, but I'm not that fussy. If there's a beach and unlimited booze I'm in good shape. I will agree there's lots to do on the Mayan side , but there's cool excursions everywhere.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I’m going to the sled show in Edmonton, I’ll book a hotel through Expedia. If I’m travelling for a vacation, it’s booked with an agent….

I’ve travelled a bit, and just enjoy to hear people’s experiences with different destinations. So many places for me yet to see… although quite commercialized and “American”, Hawaii was still a highlight from a few years back. I will go again someday, but have many other places to visit first.
My folks have travelled extensively…. Probably the only continents they haven’t been is Antarctica and Africa. They’ve been on every island in the Caribbean. Many destinations in South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and they by far enjoy being on cruise ships the best.
One could call them “frugal”… but nevertheless they shop and ask for deals. Its worked well for them over the last 25 years. They have an advantage where they’re usually able to leave at the drop of a hat and regularly book last minute, but have also been known to book a year in advance for particular trips they wanted to do (ex. South Pacific cruise).

My advice would be to try a cruise …?!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I’m going to the sled show in Edmonton, I’ll book a hotel through Expedia. If I’m travelling for a vacation, it’s booked with an agent….

I’ve travelled a bit, and just enjoy to hear people’s experiences with different destinations. So many places for me yet to see… although quite commercialized and “American”, Hawaii was still a highlight from a few years back. I will go again someday, but have many other places to visit first.
My folks have travelled extensively…. Probably the only continents they haven’t been is Antarctica and Africa. They’ve been on every island in the Caribbean. Many destinations in South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and they by far enjoy being on cruise ships the best.
One could call them “frugal”… but nevertheless they shop and ask for deals. Its worked well for them over the last 25 years. They have an advantage where they’re usually able to leave at the drop of a hat and regularly book last minute, but have also been known to book a year in advance for particular trips they wanted to do (ex. South Pacific cruise).

My advice would be to try a cruise …?!
Cruises are great if you have the stomach for it. I’ve been on 3 and sick on 2 of the 3. The food and excursion stops are amazing. The new Cruise ships are like floating malls. Crazy

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did 2 big weddings in Jamaica and loved both Riu Palace Negril and Grande Paladium Lucea Bay resorts

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All inclusive is nice if you want the safety net of a resort. Usually still have the option for some excursions, but very touristy and $$ for what you get. If you’re looking for adventure and can be flexible and go with the flow a bit more, book flights and get a booking.com account for accommodation. You can book in advance if you want more of a plan, or book your first place and wait until you get there for the rest; see what you Iike and find.

I really enjoyed Costa Rica and will definitely go back to see more areas one day. Panama was fun too. Cheaper than Costa Rica I found, but didn’t feel as safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom